Thread: Can anyone recommend some good all round tom heads

User Info Menu

Default Can anyone recommend some good all round tom heads

Been out of the game for a while with E drums and looking for some nice tom heads. Normally my go to used to be pinstripes more likely because I wasn't really aware how to tune and pinstripes and hydraulics a good quick and dirty method to limit overtones. But not really a great sound.

I am still looking for the nice thud without too much resonance but I do want some tone. Huge projection not particularly important as use will be 90% at home and 10% quieter bars and restaurants. Middle of the road light rock and pop stuf.

Are clears or coated the way to go? I live in remote Thailand and have access to this stuff online but wont be able to go to a big music store and play around. Would also have to be something readily available aka not boutique. They just don't keep that sort of stock here. Evans G2's first thing springs to mind. Evans hydraulics look interesting? Do they have a bit more tone than pinstripes? Any help appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Can anyone recommend some good all round tom heads

In the last 10 years or so, I messed with a lot of different heads and head combinations.

Looking back, the heads (batter and reso) that I really like the sound was Aquarian Studio X clear over Evans coated G2's.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I haven't tried as many drumheads as others in here but I'm a fan of Remo Emperor Clear. I've found that the double layer gives you that thud but still allows plenty of tone. The best of both worlds.

User Info Menu

Depends on the overall sound you want but I believe you can't go wrong with coated two ply for batters and clear single ply for resos.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It also depends on the sound you want...

As a generalization, most rock guys would do 2 play batter/single ply reso.
    Commonly Remo emperor over ambassador or the Evans G2 over G1.

They would also tend to like Remo pinstripes or Evens EC2 for more overtone control. Still using the same reso choices.

You can also get them in a coated finish for more warmth and less attack,

Jazz guys may prefer coated single ply for batters.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 07-14-2022 at 03:16 PM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

As others have said depends on your sound tastes and also the wood type of your drums. What brand and model kit do you have?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO