Thread: What Made You Want to Play Drums?

User Info Menu

Default What Made You Want to Play Drums?

For me it was instinctual. I felt rhythm from a very young age. It wasn't any one song or seeing someone play live. I just knew that I wanted to play drums as if it was brought over from a previous life or something. There's that saying, "I didn't choose it, it chose me" which I can identify with. I would play drum fills to a song in mid air. I just knew I could do it. I started asking for a drumset when I was about 9 years old but it would take many years before my parents bought me one. Then, I started learning beats and practicing to records. And the rest, as they say, is history.

What about you?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Made You Want to Play Drums?

Damn good question Tom. Wish I had a good answer for you.

When Topsy Pt 2 came out I had been playing for about 2 years and when Let There Be Drums came out I had been playing for about 5 years. Obviously it was something I heard but I can't tell you what.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Tom, I am like you. I was always banging on stuff at home.Got hollered at in school for "soloing" on the desk with pencils. Got a set of bongos and drove my family crazy. When I was 13 I got my first real drums. Been playing ever since.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

I saw all the bands from the British invasion.
    How come every band had multiple guitars and singers but they needed this one guy behind the kit driving the whole machine?
    I thought the drummer had the coolest job.....I watched with detail every move from Watts, Ringo, and Dave Clark, along with many others.
    There was an older kid on the next street in our neighborhood that got a set of drums....all I remember is that they were red sparkle Luddies.
    He would let me play around and we got to where we learned some songs playing along to 45rpm records.....I was pretty sure I was learning more and learning quicker than he was.
    For my 11th birthday, my Dad got me an old used set of Slingys....gold and black duco....I think they were probably late 1950s vintage.
    The bass drum was single-tension....I had a 16FT and a 5X14 snare with a 22 inch ride cymbal....that's it.
    No rack tom....no hats....no crash.
    I played those drums until they fell apart.....literally.
    8 or 9 years after that first set arrived, I bought myself a used (olive/blue badge) set of Luddies.......and four short years later, I found myself as a student in music school and the Luddies were traded in when I ordered my Gretsch USA shells that I still play regularly.........will have had them 45 years on this August 26th.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

For me it was a Beverley kit that was given to me by my uncle when I was 11 years old. He could not play them because they lived in an apartment. Previously, he had one of those really cheap-o kits with paper like heads that lasted like 5 minutes. Later he acquired a champagne sparkle Beverley kit. I think it was bop sized. This prompted me to start taking lessons and the bug bit me where I’d play on them hours a day. I would wear head phones and play along to tunes. Sometimes I’d put the record on 16 speed to try and figure out certain fills…etc. Wish I still had that kit. Had to sell it to pay for a friends car I had crashed for repair bill.

User Info Menu

Always wanted to but we were much to poor as a child growing up, then I spent 10 years on Submarines and ya know making noise is kind of frowned upon in that job : ).. Then I got married had a little one and was working 12-14 hrs 5-6 days a week. So Finally at 40yrs of age the stars lined up and I got my 1st kit (sonor 3003) and took my 1st of many lessons. That was 16 years ago and I have loved just about every minute of it. Currently have a fractured left hand so not being able to play for a fe weeks really sucks.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

For me it was the Beatles and Ringo. That is not very original, but that is how it is. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Self preservation.
    Went to a rough middle school filled with future felons and inbred knuckle draggers.
    Being in the band meant you could hide out from the general population(prison yard) in the band room at lunch periods.
    Last edited by pgm554; 08-06-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
    Self preservation.
    Went to a rough middle school filled with future felons and inbred knuckle draggers.
    Being in the band meant you could hide out from the general population in the band room at lunch periods.
    Wow, that's bad! I can't imagine having to grow up in that atmosphere. Sorry man... but at least it brought you to drums.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Obviously it was something I heard but I can't tell you what.
    I think that's the internal instinct that guides us almost supernaturally. It's what makes artists pick up a brush and writers pick up a pencil. That old saying, "I didn't choose it, it chose me" comes to mind. For some reason, we just no we can do it, and we start doing it.

User Info Menu

I remember thugs shaking down Colaiuta for money in the cafeteria.
    One of the characters that sat behind me was straight out of Deliverance.
    Of the folks that bullied me ,at least 3 were charged with homicide later on in their lives.
    One murdered his wife @18 and tried to burn the body,another DUI homicide and the 3rd, drug dealer robbery

If you have access to Netflix ,check out the TV series being shot in my home town.
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/80245025?trackId=14170286
    Last edited by pgm554; 08-07-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

I remember thugs shaking down Colaiuta for money in the cafeteria.
    One of the characters that sat behind me was straight out of Deliverance.
    Of the folks that bullied me ,at least 3 were charged with homicide later on in their lives.
    That's crazy! Wait, you mean Vinnie Colaiuta? You went to the same school as him?

User Info Menu

It was Redstone Jr high in Republic PA.
    And yup ,same person.
    I remember the thugs name ,Bill Moody.

User Info Menu

It was Redstone Jr high in Republic PA.
    And yup ,same person.
    I remember the thugs name ,Bill Moody.
    I hope he gets what's coming to him. Did you ever confront him later in life?

User Info Menu

My best guess is he is lost in the correctional system or dead.
    Public school is an odd institution in PA.
    Most of these folks graduated despite having less than a 1.0 grade average.

User Info Menu

Old Timers think alike... The British Invasion did it of me. I'm 71 and after seeing The Beatles and the Stones, sold on Music big time at 13 YO. I didn't think I could play Guitar, but just KNEW I could play drums. The beat was in me. Watts, Ringo, Dave Clark for sure and I'll add Dino Dinelli (Rascals) as instigators for me. I bought my own Drums (don't remember the brand) from the local Music Shop where I was taking lessons. Brought them to my HS buddy's house bc he had a basement and I did not. He, and I and another HS buddy all learned our instruments together and then Life took over after HS Graduation in June 1969. Soon thereafter we disbanded, had to sell my drums with no where to pu them. But after 50 Years - in 2019 - I resurrected playing again!

User Info Menu

My first desire to play drums was hearing Deep Purple way back in 74 I I was only 14 yrs old I started to use my dads paint tins and set them up like a drum kit and play to the record thinking I was good then dad rest his soul new I wanted to become a drummer so he sent me lessons the rest is history, to long of a story thanks for looking at my post BTW im hopeless with punctuation as you can see hope ya haven't run out of breath

User Info Menu

Yeh I love dogs to

User Info Menu

How olds this thread what I my doing wrong here this layout is very confusing give me some light please.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    How olds this thread what I my doing wrong here this layout is very confusing give me some light please.
    You're not doing anything wrong. There's no rule on how new or old the thread has to be to be able to comment.

User Info Menu

Cool thanks Tom.

User Info Menu

Like Steve McQueen said in "The Magnificent 7: "It seemed like a good idea at the time".

Anyway, I was a little too young for scotch and blondes.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS