Thread: Foxy Lady-Rocking the Ludwig QuestLove kit & my Pork Pie snare

User Info Menu

Default Foxy Lady-Rocking the Ludwig QuestLove kit & my Pork Pie snare

What do you thing ? A 16” bass drum, small kit playing a Big Rockin Song.

Last edited by Jackie; 08-08-2022 at 08:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Foxy Lady-Rocking the Ludwig QuestLove kit & my Pork Pie snare

The drums sound good and you were right on the money. The 3 of you sound good together.

The sticks looked long, are they 17".
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Thanks Rick, the sticks are the “Buddy Rich” sticks (16 1/4”). They are good rock sticks because they are pretty fat and have more weight than your 5a or 5b sticks. The Buddy sticks have a thicker neck and take a better beating, that’s where my stick break. Buddy must of have some strong wrists. I have used 17” sticks and the sticks would get caught between the snare shell or Tom shell and lug and also get caught under my cymbals or the butt of the stick hit the high hat when playing, it doesn’t work for my playing style. The band recently got together, we rehearse once every two weeks, we are busy doing other things, we play for fun and will see what if anything happens. If you look at the photo in the post, not the video you will see I use “No” cymbal stands. All my cymbal are mounted on the drum set. Some of the cafes are small with very little setup space. There are people sitting three feet or less in front of me and the band, so I’m conscience of not blasting away on the kit.
    Last edited by Jackie; 08-08-2022 at 11:20 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice smooth playing, I am trying to work up to that relaxation and timing. Great job, looks like some fun dudes to pay with as well. Are those sticks white? If so does the paint mark up your cymbals? My sticks always break right at the neck as well.
    Last edited by MDK; 08-08-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I was playing with a band back in the early '70's that played a bar where we were set up on the floor and I spent most of the night poking people to keep them from backing in to my drums.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

MDK don’t worry too much about the timing, sounds like a silly thing to say; just feel the pulse/beat I check to see if my 2+4 is the same as the bass player and the singer, watch their feet. I lock in with the bass player and the singer sings to that, but sometimes the singer will speed up or slow down and the drums and bass adjust to that, we feel that happening. Most important at least to me is you need to visually look at band members all the time, not the audience. The lead guitar/singer will do unexpected stops or sing lower and you need to play lower and there is surprise ending, you need to be watching for anything coming your way. These two other band member are excellent players and more importantly great human beings. The Buddy sticks are white and my cymbals take a pretty good beating, I have marks (black) on my cymbals probably from all the other sticks I used in the past.
    The way you get relaxed playing the drums is to simply have fun when your playing. The way to get smooth playing is by, practicing patterns around the kit. When I was a kid my drum teacher had me go through Paul Capozzolis drum books. It a series of books called “ around the drums with” each book was different ,triplets., paradiddles, open rolls, and some other books that I can’t remember. The way you practice is the way you’re going to play. I had a drummer say to me; you have good drum to drum transitions. I think he was saying I was kinda smooth going around the kit while playing. I contribute my flowing around the kit the way I do from practicing with those books.
    Last edited by Jackie; 08-08-2022 at 01:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice job. Y'all sound really good together.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Thanks cycledude