Thread: Roland PDX-8 snare pad volume issue

User Info Menu

Default Roland PDX-8 snare pad volume issue

Got a TD-11K kit today and noticed the snare was about 20% down on volume compared to the rest of the kit. The kit has been factory reset and all levels around the same. I noticed it was weak because I have a PDX-8 on another kit and it is the most prominent of all the pads...as it probably should be.

I noticed the output was a lot hotter when I struck the pad near the bottom (where the V drum logo is). After dismantling the pad I can see now the sensor foam pad is right under this area. It looks sort of ok, not dried up or overly compressed but when I push the mesh pad into place looks like it would be barely contacting with the mesh head. Is it meant to directly contact the mesh head or just be near it? I tried my other PDX-8 pad on the kit and all good...the volume around 20% higher.

So problem for me living in remote Thailand these things aren't easy to source, and usually 5 times the price the rest of the world. Just wondering if it would appear it was indeed the rubber pad that was the issue and if I could temporarily put an extra 1/16" or so packing on top to improve contact and hopefully volume. One thing I have used successfully are little felt furniture stick on's. I can easily cut it out into a round disc shape and is sticky back already. Even if it doesn't work easily pulled off again. Anyone have any insight here? Would this likely be the problem....does the Piezo under the rubber pad actually control output level or just a switch? Added a link to a few google drive photo's hope u can see them, Doesn't seem to be another way of directly adding pics

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...kj?usp=sharing

Any help appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland PDX-8 snare pad volume issue

Got it all sorted out. Was the foam pad that sits on the piezo and contacts the mesh. Must have been a bit compressed or something. Put a small felt stick on to raise the height, like you put on the legs of furniture so they don't scratch the floor. Worked a treat now loud and proud now :-)

User Info Menu

That's awesome. Way to be resourceful. Might be good if you could let the company know. You may get an offer for a quality control position. Well, we can hope, right?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's awesome. Way to be resourceful. Might be good if you could let the company know. You may get an offer for a quality control position. Well, we can hope, right?
    The only reason I thought of it was suggested as a fix on a different kit Kick pedal I used to own to actuate the sensor in a similar way. hence I had plenty of these pads in the drawer lol