Thread: Anyone recommend a decent drum throne brand?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone recommend a decent drum throne brand?

Just wondering what are decent brand drum thrones? Ones that actually do lock at the height you set them too and the actual locking / lock screw systems work and the chair itself is nice and stable. Had a few over the years and never been happy with any of them. Don't really want to pay huge bucks but need a HD bigger seat one (for a big a$$ lol). There is a used Dixon one where I live. Also seen some Tama, Stable, Gibraltor, Pearly. (but hard to find). I have a generic one similar to the photo below and it is strong enough / comfortable but as much as you tighten up the screws always seems to come free again

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gAz...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mdp...ew?usp=sharing

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone recommend a decent drum throne brand?

I have a Dixon with an unthreaded post, a thumb screw and a memory lock. Solid as a rock. Never moves.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I have a Dixon with an unthreaded post, a thumb screw and a memory lock. Solid as a rock. Never moves.
    Yeah threaded rod turns me off to. What I have now but a generic brand. It's ok but does move a bit. I am hoping Dixon is better locking. You wouldn't think it would be too hard to design something along different lines that worked. I don't like the ones have holes in the post either...probably be ok if they made the a little more HD. It's not like you need to adjust it all the time. Maybe a few times in a lifetime. Find the spot you like and will stay like that more than likely forever.

User Info Menu

I have always been a fan of RocnSoc. I mostly use their hydraulic style base but the one that stands out as a solid threaded base is Gibraltar.

I'm mostly concerned with comfort and the RnS tractor style seat has always kept me comfortable.

That's my experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

This may be more than you want to spend but I bought a Gibraltar Memory Foam seat a few months back and absolutely love it! I was looking for something with the extra cushion on top. This seat has the threaded post but compared to my old Roc n Soc, there's less play in the shaft so it doesn't move around as much. As well, it goes up and down smoother when you need to adjust it. It just feels solid all the way around.

9608SFT_1.jpg

User Info Menu

There is one exactly like that here (Thailand) now for $120. But it is badged Dixon. Actually seen a few Dixon stools look exactly like Gibraltar whether one is copying the other or same company? I just bought the Dixon one I posted the photos of

User Info Menu

The generic one I have now is quite a useable comfortable strong stool but as you say just doesn't really feel great. Bit of wobble and done everything to try and sort it to no avail. It's only wobble. I am sure it wouldn't break but it just doesn't feel solid. Was only about $50 from memory

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Ji...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q0D...ew?usp=sharing

(PS: Is there anyway to post photo's here without adding a link to Google drive or something? Can't seem to copy and paste into the post or attach. I read FAQ then it looks like my account is set not to add attachments?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny202 View Post
    The generic one I have now is quite a useable comfortable strong stool but as you say just doesn't really feel great. Bit of wobble and done everything to try and sort it to no avail. It's only wobble. I am sure it wouldn't break but it just doesn't feel solid. Was only about $50 from memory
    I've never been a fan of bicycle seat thrones but some people swear by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny202 View Post
    (PS: Is there anyway to post photo's here without adding a link to Google drive or something? Can't seem to copy and paste into the post or attach. I read FAQ then it looks like my account is set not to add attachments?)
    Drum Bum (owners of the forum) was supposed to make some improvements on this, if not completely go to a new type of forum. Let me check to see if there's any progress on this front. In the meantime, you can right click on most images and grab the image url, then click the photo icon and paste it in there.

User Info Menu

I have used the Ahead Spinal-G for years and its the most comfortable drum throne I've ever used.

PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I bought a Sonor 2000 series throne a few years ago and it's been a pleasure. It is a screw adjustable which I always use to stay away from but decided to try this one. I like the basic design. The legs are height adjustable by an Allen wrench set screw and the top screw locks with just a thumb wing nut which makes fast adjustments to height easy. Strong double braced legs construction makes it kind of a heavy weight throne but leaves you with no concern about durability. Good rubber on the bottom that hasn't dried out or cracked through that'll leave you wobbling all over the riser. I prefer basic round tops, and this one is still going good. Hasn't pancaked. I always leave it loose on the stand I like to have some movement.

thumbnail (1).jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN