Thread: Need help advice for Roland TD-17 kvx Kit Module Should I or Shouln't I

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Need help advice for Roland TD-17 kvx Kit Module Should I or Shouldn't I

Should I or shouldn't I change the Pan settings to all Centered or leave as they are. I'm new to vdrums and would like opinions & advice. I have changed all the volumes to +4.0 and change all the Pan settings to Center. Most of the dB Levels were set at Minus Levels. Thoughts? Thanks
    Last edited by KillerB; 08-22-2022 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help advice for Roland TD-17 kvx Kit Module Should I or Shouln't I

Welcome to Drum Chat.

Everything typed below is only MHO and how I got started with E-kits. YMMV

My approach is to start with factory settings until you get used to how to play an E-Kit. There's no cave man approach. You use finesse and dynamics to control your volume.

For your pan question, if your outputs are going to any stereo device keep the pan. That way (IMHO) you get the stage presence better. (i.e. Your floor tom, if on the right, will sound like it's coming from the right, in your perspective.) By centering everything, you're pretty much trying to mimic an acoustic kit.

You need to separate your mindset from acoustic to E-kit. They are way different in approach and presentation.

P.S. It's not about the overall volume.
    Last edited by Bish; 08-23-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help advice for Roland TD-17 kvx Kit Module Should I or Shouln't I

Thanks for the welcome and for sharing your knowledge. I've been lurking for a couple years now.

I've been playing my Vdums on and off over the past year, more off than on because I developed Tinnitus, any idea's on help with that would be appreciated.

So, I am using a Roland PM-100 Monitor which came with the kit. The same kit I owned a year ago and sold, came with a Simmons 50 Amp. Not sure the difference between the Personal Monitor & the Simmons Amp but I remember the Amp sounded better.

As for Centering the Pan settings I gather from what you said, I should leave them as they are if I'm using Stereo Device which I don't believe the Monitor is considered a stereo device? I have it pointed away from me to protect my ears plus I wear Earpeace Ear Plugs (anything beter you know of?). So with what you said, I guess it doesn't matter that I centered the Pan Settings. I only play in the living room by myself and for myself TBO.

Any other tips you would provide or links that might be helpful, I'd appreciate. I'm all over Youtube and have many helpful videos saves to practice along with, songs to play ect. Thank you again. Brian

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help advice for Roland TD-17 kvx Kit Module Should I or Shouldn't I

Thank you for the welcome & reply. I have a clearer understanding of Pan Settings now. Someone in another forum answered in depth about how they work. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my issues. Brian
    Last edited by KillerB; 08-22-2022 at 10:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need help advice for Roland TD-17 kvx Kit Module Should I or Shouldn't I

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Thank you for the welcome & reply. I have a clearer understanding of Pan Settings now. Someone in another forum answered in depth about how they work. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my issues. Brian
    You're more than welcome.

I hope you can keep us posted on your experience and please ask as many questions as you have. That's what forums are for. I hope you enjoy this one.
    Signature here