Thread: anyone familiar wit Wuhan log/stamping to date them?

User Info Menu

Default anyone familiar wit Wuhan log/stamping to date them?

I'm looking to buy one of their crash cymbals. The latest, the ones on their site, have western lettering. They look different... more lathing, less hammering.

One for sale on ebay has all chinese text/stamp. It would be nice to know even what decade thy are from.

Also, i remember reading somewhere they branched out to making more western sounding hats, crashes, rides. When did this happen? And are they series specific? I just want a regular old Wuhan chinese-sounding crash... not one trying to sound Zildjian or whatever.

appreciate any info!

jasyr

User Info Menu

Default Re: anyone familiar wit Wuhan log/stamping to date them?

Thanks for asking but I'm not familiar with the Wuhan line up. Had some S Class series many years ago. They were decent. Bright tonal quality and a shiny finish.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sorry, I'm not that familiar either. I never cared for the sound of Wuhans personally. I have 3 china pang cymbals and they're all Zildjian. They're very different from one other. One is quick and sharp. The other two have more wash but different pitches.

User Info Menu

I have some Wuhan traditional cymbals that sound decent together but not mixed with Zildjian’s to my ear. Heard of the S series (which means: Shiny polished cymbals) now they have a KOI series that’s supposed to sound really good. As far as dating them, have no idea.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-21-2022 at 11:38 PM.

User Info Menu

IIRC I had my Wuhans roughly 20 years ago. They've been around a while.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Wuhan has been making cymbals for about 2000 years. The Chinese have been credited for making/inventing the cymbal as an instrument. Wuhan is best known for their China and gong cymbals. It’d be interesting to find a way to date them when they were possibly made.
    Cardinal percussion now owns Wuhan cymbals. I bet they’d know some info on your question.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-15-2022 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Cardinal percussion now owns Wuhan cymbals. I bet they’d know some info on your question.
    Yeah, they bought the brand from Universal Percussion.