Thread: Bought a used drum set. I bet you can’t guess the make.

User Info Menu

Default Bought a used drum set. I bet you can’t guess the make.

https://www.drumchat.com/attachment....7&d=1662671756

I went to the local music store to buy 2 new heads for my drum set. I was browsing the store, when this drum set was just staring at me. I tried to look away, but what can I say, it was love at first sight. It had scratches, some wear and tear and it’s been around the block a few times. That 20” bass drum, 12”x8” rack Tom and 14”x14” floor Tom wanted to feel alive again. I made a split second decision, to save that little kit, first I had to call the wife to get the green light. It was a go. The tag attached to the kit said “ 3 piece, Mapex M drums , Birch,@ $350. So I said to the salesperson, set them up sam, let’s see what it looks like. The drum badges said,” Mapex Pro M made in Taiwan”. Do you want to know what color the kit is, I would tell you, but I still can’t figure the color out or what year the kit was made. I bought the kit and drove it to its new home. I cleaned and oil that kit. It’s a lot more respectable now, sitting there with some pride, saying, “Play Me”.

https://www.drumchat.com/attachment....8&d=1662671781
    Last edited by Jackie; 09-08-2022 at 08:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bought a used drum set. I bet you can’t guess the make.

Looks like a great little kit. Congrats.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish-I wanted a kit with a 20” bass drum. It’s small enough to play small venues and creates a deeper and fuller sound because of the 12”x8” and 14”x14” floor Tom. I have been using a 16” bass drum, 10” rack & 13” floor Tom. The deeper sounding toms & bass drum gives me more playing inspiration and a fuller band sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    Thanks Bish-I wanted a kit with a 20” bass drum. It’s small enough to play small venues and creates a deeper and fuller sound because of the 12”x8” and 14”x14” floor Tom. I have been using a 16” bass drum, 10” rack & 13” floor Tom. The deeper sounding toms & bass drum gives me more playing inspiration and a fuller band sound.
    You got that right. The 20" is so flexible IMHO. I've got one coming for my Yammys.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Just saw this. My "little" set has 10 ,12, and 13 in. Mapex Venus toms and my old 20 in. Ludwig Standard bass. Keeping my eye out for a 20 in. Venus bass. Love playing this set.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

"I've got one coming for my Yammys".

I thought that you were getting into go-carts or cliff diving or somewhere in between?????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I've played on larger sets ( 24,13-14,16, 18) for so long I don't think I could get used to playing something that small.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS