Thread: Sonor Aq2 7pc vs Mapex Armory 7 pc

User Info Menu

Default Sonor Aq2 7pc vs Mapex Armory 7 pc

Hi drummers, I own a Sonor Aq2 7pc for 19 months now which I never could play acoustically, because I lived in anapt So it was mesh heads and drum triggers. Now I moved and I have a drum space that I can play a kit acoustically. Meanwhile I have been looking at the Mapex Armory 7 pc These maple/ birch hybrid shells are made in China or Taiwan and the Sonor Aq2 maple shells as well. How do you rate the 2 choices , fairly even or one better than the other and why? Thanks In Advance for feedback
    Last edited by hemiboy; 09-20-2022 at 10:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Aq2 7pc vs Mapex Armory 7 pc

What is your budget? how many pieces do you want? do you have a preference in wood? I believe the Armory is Birch/Maple mix and the Pdp could be either Maple or Birch depending on which one you get.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I put a big emphasis on hardware. From my experience I don't like the ball mount design on the SONORs. Now that I think about it Mapex uses a similar tom arm with the multi-edge arm piece. But I think the tom mount design is more solid than the SONOR. Love their shells and sound quality, but the tom mounts are a no go for me. Probably how some view Pearl. Not to go off topic but I don't understand why so many dislike the Pearl Tom Mount. Sorry for the jack. My reason for the dislike of the SONOR Tom Mount is simply the ball joint. Mine would never stay tight on one of the mounts. The other was fine and the entire kit was brand new. Check out the tom mounts on both and see between SONOR and MAPEX which one you like the best. That should be part of your Pro Vs. Con list. Have fun with your shopping.

YMMV.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

OK, I said 7 pc, and the budget would be somewhere where the 7pc, Sonor AQ 2, PDP Concept Maple, and Mapex Armory fell,makes sense? I also stated what woods the kits were made of, except the Sonor Aq2 which only comes in Maple! So back to getting feedback , do you know anything about the playability , durability or features of these 3 drum kits? Curious, did you read my post, not sure you did. Lol!
    Last edited by hemiboy; 09-20-2022 at 12:02 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hemiboy View Post
    OK, I said 7 pc, and the budget would be somewhere where the 7pc, Sonor AQ 2, PDP Concept Maple, and Mapex Armory fell,makes sense? I also stated what woods the kits were made of, except the Sonor Aq2 which only comes in Maple! So back to getting feedback , do you know anything about the playability , durability or features of these 3 drum kits? Curious, did you read my post, not sure you did. Lol!
    I'm sorry if reading comprehension is challenging for you. My feedback was the hardware is a no go. I needn't go any further. I wouldn't own another SONOR kit. Is that clearer for you?

I also think replacing the kit or refinishing it because you don't like the finish isn't your best option. But what do I know? If you browse some of the previous threads you'll find I've owned a few of every brand you've mentioned but what do I know? I must not have read your post.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hemiboy View Post
    Well if your looking for good feedback a sure fire way to get good feedback is to belittle the people who took the time to answer, even if not to your liking.. I will chalk it up to a bad night for you. To be honest the differences between those 2 kits are minimal and going to come down to your own personal preferences. I have never had a problem with a ball mount or anything with Sonor or Mapex and I have owned multiple kits by both and still own a Mapex Mars that sounds fantastic. Just look at as many video's reviews of both kits and go with what sounds best to you because honestly you cannot go wrong with either.
    Last edited by MDK; 09-20-2022 at 06:19 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Actually wasnt speaking to you as I read your post about the hardware and have spoken to other drummers that weren't crazy about the sonor ball joints either. But as far as my reading comprehension goes, I think it is pretty good, especially c ompared to others I have encountered, Lol. Not here to make enemies, promise!

User Info Menu

Not here to belittle anybody! If I did apologies to all. I try to put a lot of info into my original post so that I can get feedback pretty quickly. So in this case I listed the type of woods of the drums I either own or were comparing and what they were so those who had some experience with the actual kits I referred to could give me some feedback, that's all. So if someone, after I mention the woods they are made of and the brand and models, asks me what budget I am in and what woods my drums are made of I figure maybe they missed some info I already gave them! IDK, maybe my post was confusing, apologies to all and thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by hemiboy; 09-20-2022 at 09:59 AM.