Thread: Made a little lesson video of using displaced patterns to create fills. This is part1

scottyp is offline Senior Member (Respected Chatter)

User Info Menu

Default Made a little lesson video of using displaced patterns to create fills. This is part1

I'm going to go a bit down the rabbit hole with these showing how you can take a simple pattern and build on it.

This one is RllK

https://youtu.be/s8DUXoCywgg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Made a little lesson video of using displaced patterns to create fills. This is p

I like playing around with different little fills. I will be stealing a couple of your variations. Thanks for posting.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Made a little lesson video of using displaced patterns to create fills. This is p

Is that you playing Scotty? Nice! I like the 3 note turnaround that allows you to cycle through them. Great stuff! I've always liked displaced beats.

User Info Menu

Thanks

I took a huge hiatus after the pandemic. My bands quit jamming when all our shows got cancelled and being stuck at home lost all my motivation. A 2 year break is awful for the endurance. I have been practicing daily getting it back and my playing has changed drasticly. It will take a bit more to get things tightened up, but i have a few more lessons to build on this and create some really cool fills that can go over the bar line.

Some work great, some will get you fired. haha

User Info Menu

Yeah, most of it will get you fired, lol... unless you're in a jazz fusion band.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Yeah, most of it will get you fired, lol... unless you're in a jazz fusion band.
    Even my metal band doesn't love it :P

Its fun for solo practice, Instagram "showoff videos" etc. for the most part.

HOWEVER... I found working on this stuff really developed my ear for odd phrasing, where in small doses is great. and my left hand improved at things like double strokes even being forced to play so many. It's good for independence keeping the hats going for time also.

I guess at the end of the day, practicing anything outside your comfort zone makes you better. And it's like if you are working out your back or shoulders, you are also working out your arms. No matter what you are playing, you can be working on technique, timing, independence and groove while you do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
    Even my metal band doesn't love it :P

Its fun for solo practice, Instagram "showoff videos" etc. for the most part.

HOWEVER... I found working on this stuff really developed my ear for odd phrasing, where in small doses is great. and my left hand improved at things like double strokes even being forced to play so many. It's good for independence keeping the hats going for time also.

I guess at the end of the day, practicing anything outside your comfort zone makes you better. And it's like if you are working out your back or shoulders, you are also working out your arms. No matter what you are playing, you can be working on technique, timing, independence and groove while you do it.
    Yes, of course. I didn't mean to suggest it didn't have value. I continually work on things that I rarely ever play live but inevitably, it pays off with having more facility overall. No regrets!