Thread: DW Performance snare vs PDP Concept Snare

User Info Menu

Default DW Performance snare vs PDP Concept Snare

I was on a FB Group and there was an argument about wether or not this guys snare was a DW snare drum or not. So many people putting up false information. So I just happen to own both an original DW Performance snare and a newer PDP Concept Series snare so I could make this video!

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Performance snare vs PDP Concept Snare

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that both sound exactly like snare drums.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that both sound exactly like snare drums.
    Spaz is a really good tech.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I stumbled upon this thread - although I have posted elsewhere about a DW Design Series Nickel over Brass 14 X 6.5 Snare - a weird thing that occurred. I also own a PDP Concept Maple Snare 14 X 5.5. The DW was purchased Used in 2021 and came with a HD Dry batter head with original Reso head and wires. Loved it right out of the Delivery box. It was better sounding than the PDP snare which I installed a HD Dry batter head. That sounded better but still not to my liking. I will preface that I am relatively a Novice with Drum Tuning - I am a resurrected Drummer at 71 YO who returned to drumming after 50 Years [1969] in 2019. I play as a Hobby in retirement about 1 hour a day to My Music. A few weeks ago, I replaced the Batter head on the DW with a new HD dry head. No matter how I played with the Tuning - I couldn't get to that "sweet" sound I had on the drum. I was able to tune the PDP more to my liking, but still not there. In a playing session, I put the Dw snare on top of my 16 Inch Floor Tom to get it out of the way. During a Fill, I hit the snare for the Hell of It... Bingo - it produced the sound I was seeking- like a Ludwig Supraphonic , John Bonham sound! Take it off the tom, it was not the same. Even the PDP maple snae sounded better on top of the Floor Tom??? Posters here and at other forums said various things: One said I was playing 2 Drums at the same Time; another jokingly said I may have invented a new Snare stand!.
    I've played with changing the heads: UV1 , then UV2, both were too ringy for my taste. Then I re-installed the HD dry head, placed a EC2 Clear 16 Inch Tom head in the snare stand, and put the DW on that. It changed the sound, still not to the level of being on the Floor Tom, but better. I'm still experimenting with these methods... Sorry, I get a Little OCD on this stuff -even at my age, and it's Only a Hobby for Christ's Sake. One immediate observation form this experiment is that taking off the batter head, re-installing the reso head and the snare wires did produce some different sounds and some improvements. Like I said - I'm new at this "art" of drum tuning which I knew Nothing about way back when (1967-69).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drummer1966 View Post
    I stumbled upon this thread - although I have posted elsewhere about a DW Design Series Nickel over Brass 14 X 6.5 Snare - a weird thing that occurred. I also own a PDP Concept Maple Snare 14 X 5.5. The DW was purchased Used in 2021 and came with a HD Dry batter head with original Reso head and wires. Loved it right out of the Delivery box. It was better sounding than the PDP snare which I installed a HD Dry batter head. That sounded better but still not to my liking. I will preface that I am relatively a Novice with Drum Tuning - I am a resurrected Drummer at 71 YO who returned to drumming after 50 Years [1969] in 2019. I play as a Hobby in retirement about 1 hour a day to My Music. A few weeks ago, I replaced the Batter head on the DW with a new HD dry head. No matter how I played with the Tuning - I couldn't get to that "sweet" sound I had on the drum. I was able to tune the PDP more to my liking, but still not there. In a playing session, I put the Dw snare on top of my 16 Inch Floor Tom to get it out of the way. During a Fill, I hit the snare for the Hell of It... Bingo - it produced the sound I was seeking- like a Ludwig Supraphonic , John Bonham sound! Take it off the tom, it was not the same. Even the PDP maple snae sounded better on top of the Floor Tom??? Posters here and at other forums said various things: One said I was playing 2 Drums at the same Time; another jokingly said I may have invented a new Snare stand!.
    I've played with changing the heads: UV1 , then UV2, both were too ringy for my taste. Then I re-installed the HD dry head, placed a EC2 Clear 16 Inch Tom head in the snare stand, and put the DW on that. It changed the sound, still not to the level of being on the Floor Tom, but better. I'm still experimenting with these methods... Sorry, I get a Little OCD on this stuff -even at my age, and it's Only a Hobby for Christ's Sake. One immediate observation form this experiment is that taking off the batter head, re-installing the reso head and the snare wires did produce some different sounds and some improvements. Like I said - I'm new at this "art" of drum tuning which I knew Nothing about way back when (1967-69).
    Nice, to me it sounds like you should just buy a Ludwig Supraphonic
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO