Thread: Back to single pedal

User Info Menu

Default Back to single pedal

The pedal setup for me is important depending on the music I'm playing. When I was in the metal band I used the double, Tama IC jr's and they came in handy for certain areas of different songs.

When I started in the southern rock band I kept them set up but eventually ditched it because I just wasn't using it at all.

With the new band I guess there are places to throw a double kick in here and there but I have yet to play any of the songs with a double. I will be the first to admit I'm not very good with double bass, never have been. In a way it's a distraction for me. I feel more in control with my single. I think I have a good balance between what's going on up top on toms and cymbals and below on the pedal.

I keep time on the hh pedal too.
    I like the stay at home feel of my left not doing more than working the hh. Set up is easier etc, etc

Using a Mapex 950 double chain pedal. Pretty smooth, good action
    Last edited by slinky; 01-23-2023 at 08:05 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Back to single pedal

I use a modified old Ludwig Standard (direct drive)pedal. I added a baseplate,adjustable beater angle, new bearings, bushings and beater. It's a great pedal now.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

I don't think I could ever go back to a single.... but I guess it would definitely be song/band influenced

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I use a modified old Ludwig Standard (direct drive)pedal. I added a baseplate,adjustable beater angle, new bearings, bushings and beater. It's a great pedal now.
    put up any before and after pics if you got any, would like to see them
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDP_Drummer View Post
    I don't think I could ever go back to a single.... but I guess it would definitely be song/band influenced
    I might put the double back in later on if I want to freshen up things a little but would definitely need to get a 2 leg hh stand first.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I ditched mine. I learned enough to be relatively proficient but found I was rarely using it on pop gigs, which are most of the gigs. If I was playing more progressive music, I would definitely set it up each time but admittedly, I'm a bit lazy nowadays when it comes to set up. I want to set up quickly and with the basic drumkit and be done with it. I have a really fast right foot so can play double bass sounding stuff when I need to.

User Info Menu

Last edited by slanddad; 01-24-2023 at 02:27 PM.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Pedal looks good, direct drive is cool. I've never owed one though. I still have the first pedal I ever bought. A Tama Flexi-Flyer. Then I got one of the first doubles to come out from Gibraltar but could never get it feeling right. Still have that one too. Man it's a dinosaur compared to todays. More Tama's the IC's and now the Mapex.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Slinky, I got this pedal when I bought my first set, Ludwig Standards, in 1971.
    Rick