Thread: Gaffa on you bass drum

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Gaffa on you bass drum

I've noticed one drummer on the weekend at a pub gig i got to talk with him anyway I complemented him on his kick sound he told me he uses 2 long strips of gaffa on either side of his batter about 2inches in from the edge sweet.:

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gaffa on you bass drum

Yeah, this is an old trick. I do that too but only on the inside of the resonating head and you can experiment with placement.

User Info Menu

Would it have the same effect if it was placed on the outside of the reso head?.

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter what side it's on but I wouldn't think it would look too good on the outside.

User Info Menu

Looks really dont matter to me on the out side is much easier 4 me if I need to experiment i don't need to take the head of always at the moment I don't have a front reso on but if I decide to put it back on I will try this.

User Info Menu

Depending on how the sound is projected (ambient or mic) makes a difference when choosing what sound you want.

As an exception to most rules if you want a definitive punch use a metal or plastic beater with a click pad. This is very effective when micing. The PA will give the low end and the click pad will give you black eyes. In an ambient situation less muffling but not subdued head dampening will work in most rooms.

Also, what you hear while playing is not what we get out front.
    Last edited by Bish; 02-18-2023 at 09:34 AM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Good info ive got a click pad on it now as far as hearing it from the audience side I don't gig I only have jams and on the occasions friends hearing me trying to make up a solo ha ha
    Last edited by Tigers; 02-17-2023 at 06:10 PM.