Thread: Muffle toms

User Info Menu

Default Muffle toms

I recently done an experiment i cut a piece of cloth about 1in square and gaffed it on my 12in tom and made a significant change in sound much deeper low end and great attack with minimal overtone.:edit it was placed on the reso head

User Info Menu

Default Re: Muffle toms

It's good that you are experimenting. In the long run you'll have a better handle on what you can expect and achieve with each different technique you invent or copy from somewhere else.

Keep it up. It's all good knowledge.

Oh yeah, pics and sound clips or it didn't happen.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks once i work out how to do all the stuff I will im a dam dinosaur when it comes to computers Cheers.

User Info Menu

Hey Tigers....What Tom Heads do you use? Batter and Reso? Does this method transmit any more or less Snare Buz? THX for the info.

User Info Menu

I love experimenting too. There are a lot of drummers on the net that are very rigid in their approach to tuning and muffling. I say, just keep trying things and see what works for you. The important thing is to always have someone out front to give you their feedback as your drums can sound very different out front then they do to you behind the kit. Or, you can have someone play your drums while you go out front to get an idea of what they sound like.

User Info Menu

I'm playing in a Rock band (for the first time this century) and trying pre-muffled heads (Attack Toneridge 2 over Remo clear ambassadors). So far, I'm digging the sound, but undecided whether this is the ideal way to go. So many drummers hate pre-muffled heads, but--without exception--every time I see these guys' kits they're covered with unsightly tape, moongel, RemO rings, wallets, towels, bandanas, Beanie Babies, etc. etc. I know the saying "you can always add muffling, but you can't take it away," but I never see a wide-open unmuffled set in the wild--even at jazz gigs.
    Thumpin' Scott Comet
    Cool Cajon (Erakkustik), Nice C0cktail Kit (Gretsch Brooklyn), Peculiar Bop Kit (Whitney), Boring 5-piece Normie Kit (Yamaha)

User Info Menu

I have someone play so I can here. Usually my loyal and trusting roadies, fans, techs... my wife or daughters. Hahaha
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by comet View Post
    I'm playing in a Rock band (for the first time this century) and trying pre-muffled heads (Attack Toneridge 2 over Remo clear ambassadors). So far, I'm digging the sound, but undecided whether this is the ideal way to go. So many drummers hate pre-muffled heads, but--without exception--every time I see these guys' kits they're covered with unsightly tape, moongel, RemO rings, wallets, towels, bandanas, Beanie Babies, etc. etc. I know the saying "you can always add muffling, but you can't take it away," but I never see a wide-open unmuffled set in the wild--even at jazz gigs.
    I play wide open. Let them puppies sing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Remo emperor suade batter and evans gi reso yes it also cut snare buzz my toms never sounded better until they got knocked off sad