Thread: Cymbal crack dam it.

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal crack dam it.

Right today one of my cymbals got lazy hell a crack appeared WTF i said its about 10mm long what do I do cut it out its a Paiste 2002 17in crash any suggestions from you cluey people would be greatly appreciated. No i haven't worked out how to send pics yet so that's that Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal crack dam it.

I think our Windy City resident has experience repairing broken cymbals. Oli?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hello Tigers and thanks Bish.
    Tigers, if you have a compressor and a die grinder with a cutoff wheel, you can cut out the damaged area with this. I would recommend trying it on a junk cymbal first for practice. The crack you have is fairly small so this is a good time to tackle that before it gets worse.
    I like to find something circular that just fits past the crack from the end of the cymbal. (Like a bottle cap). Trace that circle with a marker. Then take that bottle cap again and from the right of the circle to the end of the cymbal, trace the circular curve to the end of the cymbal. Do this on the left side of the circle also.
    Now you’ll have a nice circular curve going up into the first circle you drew past the crack and a nice circular curve coming down from that circle to the end of the cymbal. This will be the material that you remove.
    I have a picture of a 20” cymbal that had a deeper crack as an example. Also a pic of the pneumatic die grinder I had used. I used a file and or a sand paper roll on the grinder to smooth it out.

2E9ACDEF-E0E5-40E8-ABA4-37C0345980D1.jpg

14C42034-D106-4C31-A645-85A352337752.jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks for that advice I can get a hold of that tool and give it a crack thankyou.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tigers View Post
    Thanks for that advice I can get a hold of that tool and give it a crack thankyou.
    LOL, I see what you did there
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO