Thread: Converting single chain pedal to double chain/cam

User Info Menu

Default Converting single chain pedal to double chain/cam

Hi drummers...long time lurker in these forums, first time poster.

I have been using a Pearl P932 longboard double kick pedal for several years now. Love the pedal, but as my footwork has improved, the lateral 'slop' in the pedals is more and more noticeable due to the single chain. I wanted to know if anyone has experience with converting the P932 from a single chain to a double chain/cam wheel...and if it's even possible.

I am able to find the Pearl Demon series (DC748A) aluminum cam wheels and the Gibraltar (GP-6079) cam wheel, but I'm not 100% sure if either are compatible with the P932's hex shaft (which is 7/16"/1.1cm in diameter). I would also need to find a compatible replacement double chain. The Gibraltar GP-5071 includes the cam wheel and chain as well as what appears to bean adaptor for a hex shaft, but it's for the Gibraltar 9611DC/9811SGD, specifically.

Is there any standard associated with hex shaft diameter for cams, chain widths, etc or is it a free-for-all?
    Are there other conversion options I may be missing (other than buying a new double kick pedal)?

I have reached out to Pearl support, but of course...crickets (so far).

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Converting single chain pedal to double chain/cam

Can you beef up the hinge? (buy new or add bushings)?
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Not sure what you mean by 'beef up the hinge'. I'm trying to determine (unsuccessfully so far...which may be my answer) if I can swap out the single chain cam wheels for double chain cam wheels on both the master and slave pedals on a Pearl P932. My concern is compatibility. I would imagine that the hex shaft on most Pearl pedals are the same diameter...so in theory, if I got a couple Demonator cam wheels [commercial link removed, see forum rules] it should work. If it does, then the issue becomes getting a compatible double chain. Pearl sells Eliminator chains for ~$55 each...which is !&%@$! ludicrous, but it may be my only option unless a generic double chain would work.

User Info Menu

This is part of the growing process and learning who you are and how you play.

You've earned the passage rights to buy yourself a heavier duty pedal system.

Congratulations. Time to pass on the used gear to another budding musician.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well, I've made some progress on my P932 pedal mod. The Demon perfect circle cams do fit the hex shaft of the P932 as verified by rep at dFd, so I got a couple of those for ~$30. As far as chains go, I ordered a pair of replacement double chains from Offset (since they are literally down the road from me) which look like they will work, but we'll see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkmaynes View Post
    Well, I've made some progress on my P932 pedal mod. The Demon perfect circle cams do fit the hex shaft of the P932 as verified by rep at dFd, so I got a couple of those for ~$30. As far as chains go, I ordered a pair of replacement double chains from Offset (since they are literally down the road from me) which look like they will work, but we'll see.
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck. I hope it works out. If for some reason the chain doesn't work, have you thought of going direct drive or belt?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I briefly considered the direct drive mod but I have never played a direct drive pedal. Perhaps a visit to my local drum shop to try a direct drive pedal is in order...particularly if the double chain mod doesn't work out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bkmaynes View Post
    I briefly considered the direct drive mod but I have never played a direct drive pedal. Perhaps a visit to my local drum shop to try a direct drive pedal is in order...particularly if the double chain mod doesn't work out.
    :Like:

I've been fiddling with drums for 50 years and to be honest, I'd probably fail a blind kick pedal test to tell between a strap, chain or DD. IMHO you can usually get used to anything if you use it long enough. Yeah, I'm just a 4/4 hack.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have chains, strap and DD. DD is quicker IMO.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I have chains, strap and DD. DD is quicker IMO.
    Me too. My wife loves them all!

Ba dum tss!
    E7VaUjgWYAML9BG.jpg

User Info Menu

Sounds like a S/M thread.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    me too. My wife loves them all!

ba dum tss!
    E7VaUjgWYAML9BG.jpg
    smdh
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quick update...
    I've ordered what I think are the correct parts to perform the mod.
    Should have everything by the end of the week and will report back (fwiw).

User Info Menu

Ya thought about using a strap very smooth action good luck on that one.

User Info Menu

Well, I finally got the Pearl Demon cams and a set of double chains and the single --> double chain kick pedal conversion is complete!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

However...
    I'm not liking the amount of chain against the cam when in a resting position. It seems like there should be more chain wrapping around the cam, but I'm no physicist. The P932's single chain cam had the little red power cam which made the cam's arc a tad wider...thus raising the height of the pedal. Prior to the mod the kick pedal was the same height as my hi-hat pedal but now it's about 3/4" LOWER...and it comes close to bottoming out when playing (but it doesn't).

If I put the Demon cams on the hex shaft one notch back so there's more chain around the cam, the pedals are 3/4" HIGHER than before the mod. Does any of this really matter? It just doesn't look right to me but it seems to play OK...the feel is a little different than before, but not necessarily in a bad way. I may try the pedal with the cam rotated on the hex shaft one notch back to get more chain wrapping around the cam and see how the higher pedal height plays.

Just thought I'd get some ideas before I took everything apart again. There may be some pedal adjustment I'm not aware of, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by bkmaynes; 03-20-2023 at 08:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I finally got the Pearl Demon cams and a set of double chains and voila...the single --> double chain kick pedal conversion is complete!

However...
    I'm not liking the amount of chain against the cam when in a resting position (see AFTER pics)...seems like there should be more, but I'm no physicist. The P932's single chain cam had the little red power cam which made the cam's arc a tad wider...thus raising the height of the pedal. The kick pedal used to be the same height as my hi-hat pedal but it is now about 3/4" lower. If I put the Demon cams on the hex shaft so there's more chain around the cam, the pedals are 3/4" higher than my hi-hat pedals.

I may try the pedal with the cam rotated on the hex shaft one notch to get more chain on the cam and see if the higher pedal height is better/worse...just thought I'd get some ideas before I took everything apart again. There may be some pedal adjustment I'm not aware of, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: moved the cam back one notch on the hex shaft and I think that was the ticket. Just need to get used to the higher pedal.
    Last edited by bkmaynes; 03-20-2023 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice going. I hope this is what you expect.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Way to go mate that pedals going to rock

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Me too. My wife loves them all!

Ba dum tss!
    E7VaUjgWYAML9BG.jpg

I always liked the look of the Demons. 2 chains are always better than 1
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I did this years back and don't have these pedals anymore. I did a DD/ chain option on a used Speed Cobra double pedal I got off Craigslist and the pedal had major issues so I rebuilt the pedals altogether with a lot of filing grinding and retro-fitting! It was before ADC had conversion kits for the Speed Cobra. A couple of bearings were frozen as well and I soaked them in Tri-Flow oil and it did the trick! lol. I used A couple of Demon drive assemblies and, well they came out quite well! I'm a trick owner now.DSC01739.jpg