Thread: TAMA Starphonic Copper is a BEAST!!

User Info Menu

Default TAMA Starphonic Copper is a BEAST!!

Wow! I just pickled this up and I'm impressed. It's got great lower frequencies for a metal drum and the volume is cutting and the overall overtones are really pleasant. Easy to tune and plays well in different ranges. This may be number three in my go-to/"main" snares. And the looks... very pretty.

IMG_2890.jpg
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Default Re: TAMA Starphonic Copper is a BEAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    Wow! I just pickled this up and I'm impressed. It's got great lower frequencies for a metal drum and the volume is cutting and the overall overtones are really pleasant. Easy to tune and plays well in different ranges. This may be number three in my go-to/"main" snares. And the looks... very pretty.

IMG_2890.jpg
    Be careful. They easily can become the do anything drum. I keep putting mine away and keep getting it back out. Mine is the Yamaha Recording Custom Brass.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Be careful. They easily can become the do anything drum. I keep putting mine away and keep getting it back out. Mine is the Yamaha Recording Custom Brass.
    I hear that! Can't go wrong with brass, though.
    Last edited by drumsetsnide; 03-19-2023 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling, lol
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Me too! The snares I've owned have typically been maplee (stock with the kit in the main) but got the Yammy a couple of years ago and don't gig anything else now. I can tune it any way I need, play it wide open or use various levels of dampening (moon gel through to the Big Fat Snare Drum Donut) to get any sound I need for the rock and pop-to-rock gigs I typically play.

That Tama looks very good, too, and is probably in a similarly versatile area of the snare drum world.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Me too! The snares I've owned have typically been maplee (stock with the kit in the main) but got the Yammy a couple of years ago and don't gig anything else now. I can tune it any way I need, play it wide open or use various levels of dampening (moon gel through to the Big Fat Snare Drum Donut) to get any sound I need for the rock and pop-to-rock gigs I typically play.

That Tama looks very good, too, and is probably in a similarly versatile area of the snare drum world.
    Nailed it!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I absolutely love my Copper Starphonic. So versatile with just the right amount of ring even when played with no muffling.
    Karl

2015 Yamaha Live Oak Custom Black Shadow Burst
    22x18, 16, 14, 12, 10

DW Collectors Nickel over Brass 6.5 x 14
    Tama Starphonic Bubinga 6 x 14
    Tama Starclassic B/B Performer Natural White Oak 7 x 14
    Mapex Black Panther Blade 5.5 x 14
    Yamaha Loud Series Musashi Black 7x14
    Sakae Polished Steel 6.5 x 14
    Q Drum Co Brushed Aluminum Plate Series 6.5 x 14

Zildjian K And K Light Cymbals
    Remo Heads