Thread: Biggest changes in drum gear the last 30 years?

User Info Menu

Default Biggest changes in drum gear the last 30 years?

I started playing in the summer of 1980. I played for 15 years and due to life events stopped until this year.

So what has this Rip Van Weckl missed out on?

What are some of the great innovations, lasting trends, or styles that I should be aware of getting back in to the game?

I notice steam powered drum kits are not very popular like back in the day.
    Drums:
    PDP red fade 7 pc

Cymbals:
    14" Sabian AAX X-Plosions
    8" Meinl Classics Custom Splash
    10" Sabian AAX Splash
    16" Sabian AA Thin Crash
    18" Zildjian K Med Thin Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    20" Sabian AAX Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Biggest changes in drum gear the last 30 years?

There was a thread about this recently, I thought, but can't find it now. I think Tom started it.

I'm still using a lot of my 90's stuff and a couple of cymbal stands from 84
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've got two ATLAS cymbal stands from 1973 that still work perfectly.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I have a cymbal stand from my first Maxwin kit and a Thor stand from my second.

One thing I've noticed is chain drives are on everything.

When I stopped playing I had a Yamaha belt drive bass pedal (FP9?). I bought it because it was cheaper than the chain drives. I liked it, good pedal.

Now it seems belts are more "boutique" than chain drives. Hole-y cymbals. Whaaaaat? Why I never...

But I kinda like them. Fast and punchy.

Quality in general is blowing my mind. Like even mid range hardware is miiiiiiles ahead of where I was.

I also played on an old TD7 e-kit. I liked the "probability of sound" with that kit.

Today's e-kits are more "possibility of sound". It's all pretty amazing.

I mean it's still sticks and skins and shells but...wow. what sticks, skins and shells they are.
    Drums:
    PDP red fade 7 pc

Cymbals:
    14" Sabian AAX X-Plosions
    8" Meinl Classics Custom Splash
    10" Sabian AAX Splash
    16" Sabian AA Thin Crash
    18" Zildjian K Med Thin Crash
    18" Wuhan China
    20" Sabian AAX Heavy Ride

User Info Menu

My drums are now in color. Back in the day, they were just black.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

There seems to be a specialty head (so they say) for just about any sound you'll ever need now. I started in the early 80's and heads were Ambassador Emperor Pinstripes or Black Dots with a few Evans here and there.

That's probably why I got into Aquarian heads in the early 90's. They were new, sounded good and looked cool. Have been using them since with some Remo here and there.

Sticks are sticks but they may have become better too with weight matching and some are dipped for grip.

I think it's Vater?, claims their sticks are weight distributed. Some are heavier in either the handle or shoulder/tip area. Not sure how that's done.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    There seems to be a specialty head (so they say) for just about any sound you'll ever need now. I started in the early 80's and heads were Ambassador Emperor Pinstripes or Black Dots with a few Evans here and there.

That's probably why I got into Aquarian heads in the early 90's. They were new, sounded good and looked cool. Have been using them since with some Remo here and there.

Sticks are sticks but they may have become better too with weight matching and some are dipped for grip.

I think it's Vater?, claims their sticks are weight distributed. Some are heavier in either the handle or shoulder/tip area. Not sure how that's done.
    I think it's Pro-Mark with the weighted sticks. I get deals on D'Addario gear due to buying Evans heads. They offer a ton of free items (Bass drum pillows being very popular) with the points earned from Evans Head purchases. I got several stick packs for free with the points I had accumulated. I still haven't even opened a pair yet. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WOINA View Post

What are some of the great innovations, lasting trends, or styles that I should be aware of getting back in to the game?
    Drum tuning devices. Everything from the Tune Bot to the Drum Dial. And they're digital now rather than analog.

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish I came back to correct my post. It is pro-mark.

I'd love to try a pair with more weight on the top end. Will definitely be looking closer at the website
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's Pro Mark. Balanced or weight forward.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Before 1 buys weighted sticks why not cut some strips of duct tape and put them where you think you might like the extra weight to be.

As for the Tune Bot and/or drum dial, they might be good to keep track of the tension on heads after you tune them.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I tune with a Tune Bot then I make a quick check with the dial and write that number on each head for future quick checks.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums