Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in need of new set

User Info Menu

Default in need of new set

alright guys i need your help so badly, i have been wanting a new set for a while to step up my passion and enjoyment of drumming, and i have no clue what to get, i have been looking for a while but there just seems to be a little something wrong with everything.. i need help, i want a set that is above intermediate but not incredibly expensive pro, and preferably maple.

my budget is about 800-1500 dollars

User Info Menu

Buy a ddrum kit rolflol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer View Post
    Buy a ddrum kit rolflol
    I knew that was coming LOL

User Info Menu

hahahaha i put absolutely no ddrum in there earlier, but then deleted it because it was a little harsh

User Info Menu

Oh com'on there great drums, buy with confidence loflol again.

User Info Menu

alright i need some serious help!!!! and not the im crazy kind

User Info Menu

Ok seriously I suggest PDP(of course) or Pearl, or Mapex. They are all really great drums, from respected manufacturers.

User Info Menu

yeah ive been looking at those closely but i dont know what to buy in each of those- i reallllly need to go and test some drums out and see what sizes i like

User Info Menu

Hey coke can, thanks for your wonderful comments on my videos on youtube, really means alot man.

User Info Menu

Just go have a fun day at GC and play them all, find out what suits you.

User Info Menu

I will say TAMA SUPERSTAR 6-piece....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Kit?sku=446816

Or try TAMA ROCKSTAR with cheaper price...the rest of your money for buying some nice cymbals and another accesories....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

i dont know if im all about that basswood business, i already have nice cymbals and other accessories

User Info Menu

but im liking those links keep them coming people

User Info Menu

CC, Kevin is right. Go on down to the Guitar Center in the fabulous city of Nashville (did I mention to everyone that Nashville is MUSIC CITY?). There are plenty of kits to check out. I am very partial to my Gretsch Catalina Maple kit (with 30 degree bearing edages), so make sure that you check them out. I know they had the kit the last time I was there. I've heard a lot of drums, since I take lessons at a music store that has an awesome drum section, and I can still say that I do not regret choosing my kit.

Of course, I know Kevin can say the same about his kit! As can others.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

yeah i really want to try some

User Info Menu

why isnt the gretsch catalina maple not a pro set? what is holding it back it has maple shells and good finish and good looking hardware?

User Info Menu

The Renown is considered the pro set. I do know that Funky has said that the Catalina Maple kit can handle doing pro (early stages of a pro career), but I personally have no frame of reference there. I can say that if I were to go pro tomorrow, I would not be embarrassed to take my kit onto a stage.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

I'd definately call the Catalina Maple a pro. Add a little 8" tom onto it and save your money for some quality cymbals, bro.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

ive got some quality cymbals, but i was wondering why people dont refer to it as pro? what makes it different from other pro sets?

User Info Menu

To be honest, I'm not really sure. It's funny too because I just read something about why it wasn't considered pro, but I can't remember the source. Personally though, it's one of the best sets I've ever heard (and it wasn't just the price singing for it). It's a bargain for alot of quality, man, and with your budget going as high as $1500, you could do alot with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I'd definately call the Catalina Maple a pro. Add a little 8" tom onto it and save your money for some quality cymbals, bro.
    They haven't made an 8" add-on tom for the Catalina Maple series yet. When I contacted Gretsch customer service about it last year, they said they were actually talking about producing one, but it would be until 2008, so hopefully it will be available before too long.

Maybe THAT is what is keeping this kit from being considered a pro kit!!! LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    They haven't made an 8" add-on tom for the Catalina Maple series yet. When I contacted Gretsch customer service about it last year, they said they were actually talking about producing one, but it would be until 2008, so hopefully it will be available before too long.

Maybe THAT is what is keeping this kit from being considered a pro kit!!! LOL
    Ahhh dude, really? That sucks lol. I guess if you're feeling lucky you could go for the birch and make it big with an add-on 16" and 8", CC. But the maple is better bang for your buck IMO

User Info Menu

If you go with a well respected company like TAMA, Pearl or Gretch you cant really go wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Ahhh dude, really? That sucks lol. I guess if you're feeling lucky you could go for the birch and make it big with an add-on 16" and 8", CC. But the maple is better bang for your buck IMO
    32HB, it did come with a free 16X16 floor tom, so it's a 6 piece kit with 10" and 12" up, and 14" and 16" down. I think I'm just being greedy about the 8"!

User Info Menu

Coke if I may say, I would search for a used kit with maple shells. I would rather have an older kit with maple shells instead of a new poplar or basswood kit... and if you are in the Nashville area (Nashville Rocks!) you should have no problems finding something.