Thread: Most Influential Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Most Influential Drummers

drummer-stage-color.jpg

It's always interesting to see lists of most influential drummers or top drummers or greatest drummers of all time for that matter. Makes for some interesting fodder in the chat forums but seriously, I'd rather see "influential" before "greatest" because greatest is highly subjective while influential leaves less room for criticism. That said, my list would be a bit different than that below but all in all, I think they nailed many of the most influential drummers in American history. My only criticism is that the article seems to be written for a certain generation (in other words, likely written by an older guy - no offense older guy) and does not include some of the more recent trend setters like Nate Smith, Vinnie Colaiuta, Tony Royster Jr., Thomas Pridgen, Larnell Lewis and the like, that have certainly shaped the drumming world over the last 10 to 20 years.

Article: https://www.yardbarker.com/entertain...s/s1__38466391

Their list of "Most Influential Drummers" is as follows:

Carmine Appice
    Ginger Baker
    Benny Benjamin
    Hal Blaine
    John Bonham
    Terry Bozzio
    Bill Bruford
    Danny Carey
    Phil Collins
    Stewart Copeland
    Sheila E.
    D.J. Fontana
    Steve Gadd
    Dave Grohl
    Al Jackson Jr.
    Gene Krupa
    Ian Paice
    Neil Peart
    Jeff Porcaro
    Buddy Rich
    John "Jabo" Starks
    Ringo Starr
    Clyde Stubblefield
    Phil Taylor
    Maureen "Moe" Tucker
    Charlie Watts
    Janet Weiss
    Tony Williams

What drummers would you add to the list? Take away?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Most Influential Drummers

Gregg Bissonette and Vinnie Paul
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Their list is awesome but I’d add so many more. Many I’ve posted on this forum.

User Info Menu

Solid list. I’d have to add:

Rick Allen
    Chris Layton
    Rich Redmond
    Kenny Aronoff
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

What about Lars Ulrich and Billy Cobham?
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Kenny Aronoff & Billy Cobham....for sure.
    Here's a few more:

Alan White
    Carl Palmer
    Lenny White
    Mike Portnoy
    Mike Mangini
    Dave Weckl
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Joe Morello?……Louie Bellson?… Peter Erskine?….Steve Smith?….Chad Wackerman?…Cozy Powell?….Keith Moon?….
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-10-2023 at 09:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, a touch of Chico Hamilton and Max Roach, for bringing me to the "Dark Side" i.e. Jazz. (There were more of course but a lot of times I would hear something that was interesting from a drummer that, on the whole, wasn't interesting most of the time for me).

I have never spent 2 seconds thinking of myself as a "Rock" drummer, R&R was where the money was, but I said decades ago that if someone offered me a $K a week to play in a R&R band or $500 a week to play in a jazz band, I would take the jazz band every time.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, a touch of Chico Hamilton and Max Roach, for bringing me to the "Dark Side" i.e. Jazz. (There were more of course but a lot of times I would hear something that was interesting from a drummer that, on the whole, wasn't interesting most of the time for me).

I have never spent 2 seconds thinking of myself as a "Rock" drummer, R&R was where the money was, but I said decades ago that if someone offered me a $K a week to play in a R&R band or $500 a week to play in a jazz band, I would take the jazz band every time.
    Yeah, it's too bad that musicians can't get paid equally regardless of style. If so, more drummers would play jazz and Latin and delve into other styles. But so many of them are just trying to eat and put a roof over their head. Pop/R&R is what pays. I did a gig last week for $800 a man and have another one this month for $500. Both playing rock at prestigious venues for rich people. My jazz friends are playing for $50 to $80 a night, if they're lucky.

User Info Menu

Good list. I might add Steve Smith and Mitch Mitchell