Thread: Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Tuning

So I have my new Pearl Masters and I can't get the sound I want. I've watched a lot of videos back in the day on tuning ( recently re watched them ) and I consider myself fairly good at it, I got my cheap Sunlite kit to sound pretty nice.
    With this kit though I'm getting weird overtones on a few of the drums. I've tuned each drum so many times and different ways and I even bought one of those evan torgue keys to see if it would help me out any. Also I set up the drums in other rooms to see if that was part of the problem because the room there in now used to be part of the garage so it has kind of thin walls and sound carries a lot. All the bearing edges look great and the rims are fine. Lastly I know these drums can sound good because I've played them before when they have, I'm sure its just something with my tuning though. Oh and btw I don't use any muffling on these drums nor do I want to, I like overtones just not when they sound weird and unclean.

User Info Menu

How tight are the reso heads? Fairly loose? If so try tuning them higher than the batter head.

User Info Menu

tuning drums needs experience.
    Time to time you will discover something different
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

well, the first thing you need to do is....SHOW US SOME PICS OF YOUR NEW MASTERS!!!!!!! i take it you are not mistaking wierd overtones for real resonance not available with the sunlites. maybe try a lower tuning?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    well, the first thing you need to do is....SHOW US SOME PICS OF YOUR NEW MASTERS!!!!!!! i take it you are not mistaking wierd overtones for real resonance not available with the sunlites. maybe try a lower tuning?
    I totally agree with funky, going from one extreme to the next will take a little getting use to, I, like funky suggest tuning a little lower, and I always start my tuning with the low tom and move up, seems to work good for me.

Also what heads are you using?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    No I don't think I am, I've played these drums a pretty good bit before they where mine and didn't hear these overtones. None of the drums sound bad any anyway and I've got most of them to sound the way I want them to now, just the bass drum needs a little more twinking. I think I just need more time to familiarize myself with the characteristics of theses drums since they are a lot different then my last set. And I'll try to get some picture soon... my camera is charging atm.