Thread: TO HAZE or Not To HAZE (the Snare side head)?

User Info Menu

Default TO HAZE or Not To HAZE (the Snare side head)?

I have been using Clear Snare heads on my 2 principal Snares: Dw Design Series Nickel over Brass 14 X 6.5 & a PDP Concept Maple 14 X 5.5. Any benefits to going with Hazy Snare side Heads?

User Info Menu

Default Re: TO HAZE or Not To HAZE (the Snare side head)?

From what I've read, the hazy snare heads should add a little more warmth to the drum sound.

User Info Menu

"From what I've read, the hazy snare heads should add a little more warmth to the drum sound".

Tom, with all due respect, explain to me what the he** is a "warm" sound on a snare drum????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Hazy heads have a little less overtones and sustain.Like coated vs clear. After all, they are the " Industry Standard".
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

So, I can assume that less overtones and sustain equals "warmth"? Interesting, very interesting....

Back in my gigging days, the "Industry Standard" for almost every drummer I knew was a 21 year old blonde. It did seem that way "back in the day".

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I read that a thin clear is a touch more “bright” vs. a thin hazy’s “warmth”.
    I think the type of drum and brand of wires are some other factors to consider for its sound.
    Maybe try a coated “diplomat” for the snare side and one could play either side with brushes. That’ll warm it up. J/K. One does not have to go with the popular and try for your own unique sound.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-14-2023 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

That stuff I quoted comes from Remo. As for your second line, that might not be the standard but was certainly the hope.
    Rick

User Info Menu

“21 year old blonde”
    “certainly the hope”
    Lol,

All that hope turned out a big “nope” for me.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 10-14-2023 at 08:01 PM.

User Info Menu

"Back in the day" (for the older guys it means 30, 40, even 50 years ago. For the younger guys it probably means last week) I was in the 1st set of a gig when this blonde comes in by herself and sits at the bar. I've got almost 30 minutes before our break so I'm wondering if some guy is going to come in, like maybe a BF, but nothing happens so when we get our break, I go over to talk to her and she was easy to talk to and I go back for the 2nd set and I'm thinking that there might be an interesting way to work dinner in the next day or 2. 2nd set break and we're talking and she gets a piece of paper from the bartender and writes her phone # on it and says she has to leave because she has work tomorrow and to call her and we'll talk dinner.

THE PUNCH LINE: The # she gave me was "Dial a Joke". That had to be after '82 but before '87 because I still had my Vette. I wonder what that car would be worth today. As for the girl, we played that club a couple of times over the years but never saw her again.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I had a bimbo set up a date with me once. She gave me a time to meet her at Chuckie Cheese pizza ... me the dumb a** shows up and waits and waits and waits

at least I orded what I wanted on the pizza
    Last edited by slinky; 10-16-2023 at 02:13 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My GF now I met on a blind date 1st week of April 1966. To this day, the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

We were 19 and 18, now we are 76 and 75. Neither 1 of us had a clue as to what the other was doing for over 50 years.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Sounds like a Hallmark movie. Glad you two found each other again.
    Rick

User Info Menu

"Sounds like a Hallmark movie"

Rick, my friend's wife also thinks that there is a movie in there. I personally doubt it but there is more to it including the explanation for my Avatar.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    My GF now I met on a blind date 1st week of April 1966. To this day, the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

We were 19 and 18, now we are 76 and 75. Neither 1 of us had a clue as to what the other was doing for over 50 years.
    Rick an interesting story. I'm in a similar Boat. Met my wife of 49 years form the 1st Time probably circa 1964 , me going on 14 , the "wife" 12! As silly as this sounds now, Played 'Spin The Bottle" at a friend's party - our first Kiss.... We went separate ways in grade school. Saw each other for Fries and a Coke at a Woolworths Counter in our Town in 1965. Then we became Steady in 1969 - me 18 & her at 16. That was a Fantastic Year as you know....The Summer of 69... Jets Super Bowl Champions , Moon Landing, WOODSTOCK, and then The Miracle Mets WS Hereos. We married in 1974 and aside from te Birth of my Sons and now the Birth of 5 Grandchildren - the best day of my life. Now at 72 & 70 (the wifey) retired. Although this is a Total Digression of the THREAD (sorry), in 2018 my wife gifted me for XMAS a cheapo Gammon Drum Kit as I was approaching retirement ( I retired in May 2021 forced by my Spinal Maladies with Chronic Pain). So, starting in 2019, I resurrected Playing Drums after 50 Years. I have never Gigged - but I Play about 1 hour a day along to My Music. 4 of the 5 Grandkids (the youngest just turned 2) Enjoy Pounding on my Kit whenever they come over: "Poppi Let's Play Drums..." One Grandaughter who is 5 1/2 now, was exposed to drumming in her Pre-K school. The fellow who would bring in items to Drum on commented to her teacher that she should take Lessons - she exhibits the knack to Play !! They all melt my heart in various ways, but that is a bit more special. BTW, I think I'm going to Try Hazy Snare Reso heads. Drum tuning is the most frustrating to me since re-commencing drums. I know Nothing of Drum Tuning and /or different Heads back then.

User Info Menu

49 years........WOW. At the rate my marriages lasted I would need somewhere between 5 and 10 more wives.
    My story is a little more complex. The fact that my GF is my GF still, after being together for about 4 years, amazes me.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick, I think You Nailed It with that Statement. Ain't it the Truth! I should point out that COVID further accentuated that POV. Generally I would say that before reaching my current age of 72, I was Unimpressed by a Lot Of Crap. Who arrived in Stretch Limousines, Coach Bags, Owning Mansions, etc. You Can't Always Get What You Want, But Try Sometime, You Will Find You Get What You Need.