Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memorable gigs

User Info Menu

Default memorable gigs

Telling us something that was funny,sad, or memorable about any gig.

User Info Menu

I was in a band once that had major label interest, won contests everywhere, and the players were among the best in the area. Unfortunately it was mismanaged and the players lost their fire. I was the first to leave. After that, people began leaving one by one.

A typical story I guess but it was one band that had more potential than any other band I've been in. I believe we had it in the palm of our hands but let it slip away.

User Info Menu

Memorable for me was, I was on the road with a band, and someone called my house to give me a phone number because Paul McCartney was auditioning drummers for the group Wings in New York, by the time I got home the number was lost.

User Info Menu

While most drummers could agree on this if you've ever dropped a stick and it flew, and I mean FLEW into the audience and you could hear the person you hit yell in pain as it hit them, that would be my most memorable moment at a gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    While most drummers could agree on this if you've ever dropped a stick and it flew, and I mean FLEW into the audience and you could hear the person you hit yell in pain as it hit them, that would be my most memorable moment at a gig.
    Roger, I hit the bass player in the head one time. I still laugh about that till this day. (He didn't think it was too funny though)

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Roger, I hit the bass player in the head one time. I still laugh about that till this day. (He didn't think it was too funny though)
    HAHAHA! I hope I do that sometime.

User Info Menu

Again, I have nothing to add to an actually "drumming" thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    i hit my singer a couple weeks ago. but that was on purpose
    my most memorable gig so far was my first real stage gig opening for testament and anhialator in 1989.

User Info Menu

Cool memorable gigs

My most memorable gig was the first time I ever played drumkit in public. (Yeah, the b-bro can--and does--play the set!) To make it short and sweet, it was at a Christmas party that the founder and then-owner of the radio station I worked for held for 30 years...and several of the air personalities, including yours truly, combined our talents to provide a brief musical interlude between the main acts...

It was embarrassing because I'd forgotten the bass pedal (fortunately I faked that!)...funny because the lead vocalist wasn't ready to go on (she'd gone to the ladies' room for emergency pantyhose repair)...and a pleasant surprise to all when my two daughters, then ages 15 and 13, joined their dad and the rest of the "WGNU Garage Band" for a beautiful version of "Silent Night."

I've played the bongos and congas hundreds of times, but none of them match that wonderful Sunday afternoon when I was rockin' the set...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

My memorable gig was when my gutarist and bassist forget about the chords in the middle of the song.....
    They 're trying to started it over again....But now with some chords paper in their amply...
    But still, They wrong read it....(The chords must be read from up to down, they read it fromlef to right).....All messed up....
    We're laughed by everyone there....

It's all becoz the lack of pratice....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

haha i love this thread good idea!

User Info Menu

a memorable and only gig for me is at the beginning the instructor introduced us in the lamest possible way, by saying we got our song from guitar hero and saying the we wanted to be guitar heros, i just stopped and was like wow no thats not it at all

User Info Menu

Oh boy, when our rhythm player was asking the crowd for phone numbers and I said 'please, just give him one he hasn't been laid in a year!'.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

Shazane Guest

Well, there was the great show where the stage was so terribly designed that we could only fit two half stacks and our vocalist on it at all, so for one the drummer gets to be in front!!

It was also great because the band before us couldn't use their drumset, so we combined mine with their A Custom cymbals and DW9000 pedals for a fantastic setup! We also got to use their line 6 half stacks, unfortunately we werent expecting this and they weren't EQ'd for us, and the vocalist/rhythm guitarist turned his up too much so only the people in front of the lead guitarist could hear him.

One of the bass drum legs came unscrewed so I had to play it at a wierd angle which really threw off my double bass, which the other drummer didn't leave the mic set up on like he said he would. I also dropped my stick in the last song, but we recovered, and noone had anything but good to say about us!

I guess what makes it memorable is that it went so well for being so disastrous!

User Info Menu

At my most recent show, the other band collaborated with our band by playing at the same time to our originally 3 minute song "Decieved" and making it about a 10 minute long drum/guitar solo with the Decieved notes thrown in random places.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

most memorable for me was my frst gig as drummer(had gigs as guitarist) i wasnt spectacular nor was i terrible but i was solid and plus going through 4 drum sticks in a hour that night is still my record lol
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

My most memorable gig was my first that I played in high school. My band was playing during lunchtime on the cafeteria stage. The principle allowed us to play 5 songs and we had given him the lyrics ahead of time so he would know that they would be ok for school. We made it through the first 4 and started playing AC/DC "She's Got The Jack" when the lead singer jumps off the stage and tackles some guy that's walking by. He climbs back on stage and starts singing the most obscene version of that song ever heard. That really did'nt go over too well. Long story short, he got expelled and the rest of us got suspended for a few days. We were the talk of the school for months after that...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

he got expelled and the rest of us got suspended for a few days. We were the talk of the school for months after that...
    lol ....
    At least you became a famous guy for a moment....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    My most memorable gig was my first that I played in high school. My band was playing during lunchtime on the cafeteria stage. The principle allowed us to play 5 songs and we had given him the lyrics ahead of time so he would know that they would be ok for school. We made it through the first 4 and started playing AC/DC "She's Got The Jack" when the lead singer jumps off the stage and tackles some guy that's walking by. He climbs back on stage and starts singing the most obscene version of that song ever heard. That really did'nt go over too well. Long story short, he got expelled and the rest of us got suspended for a few days. We were the talk of the school for months after that...
    Oh wow, that would have been pretty weird.

User Info Menu

I had a memorable gig at a little Italian restaurant called Liberatore's. It was only my 6 month playing and we were doing this show for a girl's modelling promo. It wasn't really a venue, but a party, and she had a dj there as well which sucked. We spent all our time setting up and soundchecking, we had everything good... I had practiced a huge solo with my guitarist and two new songs strictly for this show. So "the man" shows up (the girls father) and gives us details on playing. When we ask how long we should play for, he replies, "Uhm does about 10 minutes sound good?" Seriously... he said that. We calmly looked at each other and were like, "Dude, you can't be serious," buying ourselves five more minutes after a pretty minimal argument and a night shattered.
    Well the best part was in the middle of our second jam, people were just starting to get into it (about 6 minutes of playing), I see from across the room the dude sitting with his adult friends giving me the "kill it" signal and motioning the dj to start playing for the speech, forcing us to stop. So we figure we'll just play after the speech is done, but the high paying dj didn't like that.
    Sooooo we did what any rebellious teenage metal band of two disgruntled musicians would do and started playing along to all the songs the dj would put on. The first one was Get Low by Lil Jon which we actually played to for a good while until people realized it wasn't the dj playing it and got mad lol. He told us to stop and the crowd laughed it off with us, some wanted us to keep playing anyway. So then he puts on Walk it Out by some rapper and my guitarist knew the riffs perfectly, I improvised, and people loved it, but not the adults. The dj was even chill with the situation since he was a percussion graduate and played the same set I had, but we stopped playing regardless and just had a lame night.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Best moment at a gig was the last gig I played last week- we were opening for this band that had come down from London who I really like ALOT, so I was pretty nervous to be opening for them. We played really well that night and the singer/guitarist from the band came up to us and told us he really liked us so I was like " YEAH" and it was awesome.

Unfortunatley their drummer had an accident and couldnt play and they played an acoustic set, and the sound guy must have been aweful because they just sounded bad at first, but I knew how good this band were.

They did get better as they went and the last couple of songs were amazing- so Yeah it was pretty damn good.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Well I have only played a handful of "gigs". Never made any money so that is why I use the term gig loosely. The one that comes to mind is back in the 80's I had some some friends who had a gospel group. I used to help them with setup and sound. They were playing a church way out in the country for the churches anniversary. It's about 30 minutes from the time they go on and the drummer calls and says he cant make it because of a situation at home. So the bass player who was my best friend in HS says I can play it. While most gospel music is easy to play it was still nerve wracking to know I had to play without rehearsing. Anyway my buddy says just follow the bass and everything would sound fine. Needless to say I did try anything fancy and we got through the set. Being my first time playing before a crowd I Would say that was the most memorable.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Way back in high school I was playing a blue 5 pc Ludwig Vistalite kit (anyone remember those?). The 2 rack toms were fastened the usual way by a metal post anchored in the kick drum.
    I was in a "battle of the bands" gig at my high school auditorium - maybe 200-250 people watching. Somehow, the metal post just broke off somewhere in the middle. My rack toms just fell off - still on the top part of the post - and bounced from riser to floor landing in the middle of the stage. Looks of horror from me and my bandmates. Lots of laughs from the crowd. I kept playing the song (Purple Haze), but we were done for the night after that. Needless to say, we didn't win. Man, that was embarrassing. I still shudder when I think about it 25+ years later.
    I play Sonor Signature Series drums, Zildijian & Sabian cymbals.

User Info Menu

Cool memorable gigs

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Nothin' like a little controversy to jump-start your musical career...and I bet you still chuckle when you hear (or play) "She's Got the Jack..."
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

sonic_underground Guest

One time i was playing a relly fierce gig and got really agressive behind this ****ty little kit. I was playin so hard that i broke 2 of my fingers and get 2 blood blisters one of which popped thta same gig. coming to the end of the set there was a climax in the song and as i went for the massive fil back to the chorus the kit just fell apart the high tom fell off bass drum started moving and the floor tom skin broke
    But it was teh most fun gig of my life