Thread: Student Model Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Default Student Model Snare Drums

In the early 60s, I began to look at and collect annual drum/percussion catalogs from Ludwig and Slingerland.
    Those two American drum-makers did not offer multiple lines of drums priced for every budget like you see today.
    They offered their top-line maple drum shells with a few different configurations....and you could buy singles as well.
    But they did offer a "student model" snare drum that was not as expensive as the "pro" models.

Generally, the student snare had a good maple shell with 6 lugs rather than 8 or 10...and a simple functional throw and snare wires.
    I have one of the Slingerland student model snare drums and it still sounds/plays just fine.
    I found it in a pile of trash left in the front yard next door when a family moved out of a rental house.....about 1977, I think.
    It was still in good shape....both heads and the snare wires were broken....but the hardware and shell were great.
    It was covered with white lacquer paint.....scratched up in places.
    I disassembled the drum and polished the rims and lugs, oiled the screws, and hand-sanded the shell to the original maple wood.
    I bought a can of spray gloss lacquer to protect the maple and bought new wires and heads....it has been terrific ever since.
    And, BTW, while I had the heads off, I noticed an ink stamp on the inside of the shell that reflected JUN64....(60 years now!).

I used it as a gigging snare for a few years and changed the maple shell to flat black to match an e-kit I was into at the time (late 80s).
    During 2013, I shipped it off to Precision and had them expertly cover the shell with vintage silver sparkle wrap.
    I'm currently looking for a bass drum to match with the build of a gigging set....difficult so far, but I have time.

Anyone here own an old student model snare?
    I have seen a few people on line that have collections of these snares.....all 6-luggers.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 02-28-2024 at 10:19 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Student Model Snare Drums

Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

At this time it is not for sale -- thanks for the inquiry.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have a Luddy Blackrolite, from the 90's I guess, all original same old heads. I play it regularly. Sounds great.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

I think I may have a sonor student snare drum. It’s an 8 lug though.
    I do have 6 lug snares too but they’re on some MIJ kits I have. I think one’s a Tama Stage Star also.

IMG_4196.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-21-2024 at 09:17 AM.

User Info Menu

I've never been one to hold onto snares and older drum equipment, especially student model quality. I'm amazed at the number of drums some drummers keep on hand over the years. Cymbals too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I've never been one to hold onto snares and older drum equipment, especially student model quality. I'm amazed at the number of drums some drummers keep on hand over the years. Cymbals too!
    I am guilty of this. It’s become a hobby refurbing and some already have the coolest wraps. You can see some in my photo album. I have put some at practice places so I don’t have to worry about lugging a drum set there every time. I just bring some good cymbals for replacement but if I forget them, there’s something usable like B8’s to play on.

User Info Menu

That's actually pretty smart. And if it's a hobby that brings you joy than go for it!