Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two floor Tom setups?

User Info Menu

Default two floor Tom setups?

OK I've got a Gretsch Catalina Birch 5 piece kit in fusion sizes (10. 12, & 14" Floor tom), I've thought about ordering a second floor tom 16" size but I'm not sure I would use it enough, to make it worth while. Those of you with 2 floor toms how often do you use the second tom? Would I be better off investing the $200.00 in a cymbal upgrade? I've been wanting to replace my B8 Crash with something that better matches my HH ride. If you had $200.00 cash and were in my position which would you go for 2nd floor tom, or a better crash cymbal? Don't say both the wife would throw me out and I can't afford a new place to live.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

My suggestion :

Buy the Crash.....
    With 200$ you can buy the best cymabal that available....

I say It will be worthwhile if u have 2 floor toms....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I love having two FT's. Since I only play with one "rack tom"... I use the second FT quite a bit. Plus, adding a 16" drum to your set up, will give you somewhere to go, to get a nice low note. I like my 14" FT, but the tom of my 16" is so much cooler.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Gretsch has discontinued the Catalina Birch line so the supply of add on drums will soon be gone too. Go for the floor tom. There will always be cymbals. I have the Catalina Birch also in a 10, 12, 13, 16 tom range and I just ordered a new Renown 6 piece in the fusion sizes of 8, 10, 12, & 14. It is scheduled to arrive 1/02/08 and I will be using my Catalina as a practice kit. I have though about getting the 8 in tom and setting the cats up like the Renown’s for a comfortable transition from the practice kit to my show kit. By the way the Catalina Birch kit is one awesome kit. I still wonder why I ordered the Renown kit but the money was there from band jobs so it’s not out of pocket cash. We play tonight and New Years Eve and next week I will be busy getting the Renown’s ready for the road. Money from New Years Eve will get me new cases for the Renown’s.

Again get the tom!!!!!
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rritter View Post
    Gretsch has discontinued the Catalina Birch line so the supply of add on drums will soon be gone too. Go for the floor tom. There will always be cymbals. I have the Catalina Birch also in a 10, 12, 13, 16 tom range and I just ordered a new Renown 6 piece in the fusion sizes of 8, 10, 12, & 14. It is scheduled to arrive 1/02/08 and I will be using my Catalina as a practice kit. I have though about getting the 8 in tom and setting the cats up like the Renown’s for a comfortable transition from the practice kit to my show kit. By the way the Catalina Birch kit is one awesome kit. I still wonder why I ordered the Renown kit but the money was there from band jobs so it’s not out of pocket cash. We play tonight and New Years Eve and next week I will be busy getting the Renown’s ready for the road. Money from New Years Eve will get me new cases for the Renown’s.

Again get the tom!!!!!
    i gotta agree. that tom may not even be available anymore. if you can find it get it.

User Info Menu

I have been useing 3 up 2 down for a couple months now and don't use the 2nd floor tom much but , I use the 3 up all the time. I would add an 8" tom !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

A $200 Crash? I do not know any REALLY good crashes for that price, just some semi pro crashes, I think the floor tom would be worth it, you really notice the extra tom, it makes your kit feel so much bigger from a 5pc to a 6pc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    A $200 Crash? I do not know any REALLY good crashes for that price, just some semi pro crashes, I think the floor tom would be worth it, you really notice the extra tom, it makes your kit feel so much bigger from a 5pc to a 6pc.
    Music gear alley (ebay seller) will sell you almost ANY brand new Paiste for $200.00

Here is what I have bought from them lately...

18" 2002 rock china. $200.00
    18" 2002 rock crash. $200.00 X 3.
    19" 2002 power crash. $200.00
    17" 2002 rock crash. $150.00
    18" 2002 power crash. $200.00
    20" 2002 power bell ride. $250.00
    14" 2002 heavy hi-hats. $318.00

Also, I think most of the Sabian AXX stuff can be purchased for around $200.00 as well.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post
    Music gear alley (ebay seller) will sell you almost ANY brand new Paiste for $200.00

Here is what I have bought from them lately...

18" 2002 rock china. $200.00
    18" 2002 rock crash. $200.00 X 3.
    19" 2002 power crash. $200.00
    17" 2002 rock crash. $150.00
    18" 2002 power crash. $200.00
    20" 2002 power bell ride. $250.00
    14" 2002 heavy hi-hats. $318.00

Also, I think most of the Sabian AXX stuff can be purchased for around $200.00 as well.

Matt
    Oh wow, I need to start buying from there mate, I can't find 2002 cymbals for under $300 unless they're a splash. And even then they're just over $200.

EDIT: In fact I'll quote my latest catalog from Billy Hyde, all AU prices.

Pasite 2002 series:
    10" Splash= $229
    14" Heavy Hi-Hats= $569
    16" Crash= $349
    17" Crash= $379
    18" Crash= $425
    20" Heavy Ride= $495

EDIT2: checked them out, they don't ship to Australia :(.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-29-2007 at 10:58 AM.

User Info Menu

the 2nd floor is a bit of a reach and you may find you hardly use it much esp. on faste fills. Good to have the 16" to interchange at least, as the 16 has a deeper rockier sound than the 14
    all the best...

User Info Menu

I love having two floor toms, I am going to be getting my 16" floor tom soon, buy the tom, NOT the cymbal, you will find you use it alot.

User Info Menu

go for it man! if you can set it up to play comfortably, then there's no problem, and it's discontinued, so jump on it while you can! I admit, it's nice to have a little extra punch when you want it.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

CD, I agree with getting the floor tom, because of the limited time to make that decision, and because I absolutely love my second floor tom (14X14, and 16X16). I love the ability to do a roll through the toms all the way to the growl of the 16"! I am working out fills that use the toms in a variety of ways, and to go from the 12", to the 14", to the 16" is cool! It just adds to the variety of the sound, IMHO. As has been said, the cymbals will always be available, but the 16" floor tom for the Catalina Birch kit will not be available much longer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think you've convinced me, I did have concerns about the drum not being available much longer. Musician's Friend and Music123.com both have it listed for $200. guess I'll take a ride to Guitar Center tomorrow and see if they can still order one in. Thanks for the input.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I would like to say one more time that it is hard for me to reach and when i turn to finish a run on the second floor tom i am so far around it takes a while to get back to the front again so some times it throws me off a bit. I like playing 3 toms up front ,I dont have to reach for them and dont have to turn way around. Just wanted to give you my honest opinion.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

It Depends. Sometimes I play 2 rack, 1 floor tom. Sometimes 1 rack, 2 floor tom. Depends on how much i'm using my ride, as if i'm using my ride a lot I prefer i closer.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

I appreciate all the input, both for and against. I think having the drum might be worth the investment, even if I choose not to use it all that much, I'll have more flexibility in configuring the kit. 2slow now you got me thinking about buying an 8" too. Decisions, Decisions!!!

User Info Menu

Then you will have a Catalina 7piece....just like me I love both the 8 and the 16 and use them alot.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Well I ordered the second floor tom yesterday, I thought about the 8", and Guitar Center Says they will be available for special order for a while to come. The Birch set is kind of bright sounding to begin with so the 16" floor should help by adding a little low end when I want it. Now I just have to get it in the house without the wife noticing I've bought another drum!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Now I just have to get it in the house without the wife noticing I've bought another drum!!
    That comment makes my day! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    That comment makes my day! LOL
    Yes I know this also....been there a time or two. It a lot easier for them to sneak jewelry in their purse.

ThePloughman Guest

Time for flowers.

You are going to love a two floor set up. Especially with 14x14 and 16x16 sizes. They work very well together. I have two such setups.

User Info Menu

hey roger can you pm me a link to that ebay store???? THANKS HEAPS! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I love haveing two floors and the 16" in general for a thunderous bottom end when needed. Like others have stated, if they are discontinuing the catlina birch and there are still some left buy it now or you will regrett it when you can't get one and will by obsessive on e-bay trying to find one that someone whats to sell. Seriously you can always get other stuff but if it is discontiued and you really want one don't wait!

User Info Menu

my dream kit has one rack and two floors
    sizes
    12x8
    16x14
    18x16

i would love to have an extra floor
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!