Thread: Sam Ash Closing All Stores

User Info Menu

Default Sam Ash Closing All Stores

Word is out that Sam Ash is closing all their remaining stores.
    Apparently, unless they find a buyer real soon, it's done. Not surprising to this guy. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they lasted this long. Amazon has destroyed hundreds of thousands of businesses big and small. Add to that a post-Covid sluggish economy and that's a recipe for disaster.

A month ago, they announced closing 18 of their 44 stores which had eyebrows raised everywhere. Well, now, according to numerous sources, they'll be shutting all of them down. As of this writing, they've yet to make an official statement but word has spread fast on social media, apparently by many current Sam Ash store employees.

Is Guitar Center closing next? Who wants to place their bets?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sam Ash Closing All Stores

Not surprising but upsetting.

User Info Menu

Not surprised.....
    For the last 10 years, I have purchased almost all of what I need from Musicians Friend or from DCP.
    (sticks - heads - a couple of snare drums - a bass pedal.....and each time, I knew exactly what I wanted).
    Both are very good at keeping inventory up and ready.
    Both are very good at having a shipment to your doorstep in a hurry.....with "free" shipping.
    For a kit or for a cymbal, I would go to a drum shop.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My set of Ludwigs was bought at Sam Ash in NY (Brooklyn) in either '71 or '72. They were black when I bought them but have been re-wrapped with White Abalone about 10 years ago. The wrapping part is easy, taking all the hardware off is a time-consuming pain in the a**.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    My set of Ludwigs was bought at Sam Ash in NY (Brooklyn) in either '71 or '72. They were black when I bought them but have been re-wrapped with White Abalone about 10 years ago. The wrapping part is easy, taking all the hardware off is a time-consuming pain in the a**.
    I’ve taken apart many kits completely for cleanup and restoration, Power tools zip them off. Set power tool on gentle then do rest by hand when putting back together. But yeah, still a PITA but they look beautiful.

User Info Menu

I did use a drill to loosen everything. If I didn't do that, I would still be taking everything apart!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Atlanta has a Sam Ash. It's a nice store. There's also 3 GC's that I know of and I really don't care for any of them. Atlanta Pro Percussion was the best but the owner closed doors 10 years ago? not sure how long now but it was a drum candy shop.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Atlanta has a Sam Ash. It's a nice store. There's also 3 GC's that I know of and I really don't care for any of them. Atlanta Pro Percussion was the best but the owner closed doors 10 years ago? not sure how long now but it was a drum candy shop.
    Oh wow, I remember buying from Atlanta Pro Percussion years ago. Visited when I played Atlanta and bought a lot of drum gear from them. I didn't know they closed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Oh wow, I remember buying from Atlanta Pro Percussion years ago. Visited when I played Atlanta and bought a lot of drum gear from them. I didn't know they closed.
    That's cool Tom, wasn't it great. Had that classic drum shop feel to it. Kind of messy with gear all over. I liked the head racks. He had a good supply.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN