Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Completely disgusted...

User Info Menu

Default Completely disgusted...

Im starting to really hate playing drums.
    Im sure plenty of people will suggest that my problem is technique, but I dont think it is.
    Im terribly frustrated with the fact that I break everything.
    I know I hit pretty hard... but I kinda have to. My band is loud.

This is the past two months....

Brand new Tama iron cobra flexi-glide double pedals... Broke a piece of the connecting rod in about 2 minutes of owning them.
    Brand new Vex double pedal... Broke the connecting rod in one week.
    Brand new Evan EC2 snare head... the center patch is coming off from the inside after two hours.
    19" Paiste Signature power crash. Broken.
    19" Paiste Dimensions power crash. Broken.
    14" Paiste 2002 heavy hi hats. Broken.
    19" Paiste RUDE crash/ride. Broken.
    DW 5000 cable hi hat. Broken.
    Ddrum snare. The throw off, fell apart after two weks.
    20" sabian ride. Broken after a week. (using it as a crash)
    Remo 14" emperor X snare head. Lasted 3 hours.

I brought all my new Paiste 2002's to the studio last night, and was affraid to play them, because Im worried about breaking them.

I play the heaviest cymbals I can find... but they still break.
    I play the heaviest hardware I can find... but it still breaks.

The only pedals I have never broken, are my DW 9000's.
    However, I dont like their feel. I suppose I will have to live with it since I have broken every other brand I have used. Including DW 5000's and Pearl Eliminators Tama Iron cobras, and so on...

The main problem with cymbals breaking is this...
    I play a lot of 8th note stuff on my main crash. You know, banging out the groove, loud and fast. Stuff that most would play on open hi-hats, I play on my main crash, because thats what my band wants.
    It takes an amazing toll on my cymbals.

I suppose to some degree, Im just venting... but Im seriously getting very tired of this crap. Maybe one of these days I will post a video of me playing... so you guys can decide if Im just hitting too hard.

Anyway... after all these years of playing... I doubt I will quit. But I really am thinking about it.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Dude...
    Don't say that....
    Come on...After 7 years playing drums...I have the same frustated as you although we have different problem....

Brand new Tama iron cobra flexi-glide double pedals... Broke a piece of the connecting rod in about 2 minutes of owning them.
    Brand new Vex double pedal... Broke the connecting rod in one week.
    Brand new Evan EC2 snare head... the center patch is coming off from the inside after two hours.
    19" Paiste Signature power crash. Broken.
    19" Paiste Dimensions power crash. Broken.
    14" Paiste 2002 heavy hi hats. Broken.
    19" Paiste RUDE crash/ride. Broken.
    DW 5000 cable hi hat. Broken.
    Ddrum snare. The throw off, fell apart after two weks.
    20" sabian ride. Broken after a week. (using it as a crash)
    Remo 14" emperor X snare head. Lasted 3 hours.
    I know this annoyed u very much....
    I will be annoying if I were you....
    But, you have gifted talent by God to have a massive power....Don't blame yourself for this.....

Try to play more calm, bro....I know it's very hard at beginning....You just need to start it over again once...
    C'mon....I know u can....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

O_O HOLY ****! This is probably one of the first times swearing like that is completely appropriate.

You are seriously playing to hard, and I mean so hard it is not funny. Stop smashing you cymbal so damn hard, it hurts me on the inside to know someone can play that hard. A little tip, TRAVIS BARKER ONLY BEATS HIS CYMBALS SO HARD BECAUSE HE GETS THEM IN PACKS OF 30 FOR COMPLETELY FREE!

You seriously need to revise the way your hitting your cymbals, stop coming down on them, tap them downwards at most, I never play my cymbals on the edge, come from the upper side instead of full down even when tapping.

The skins, stop hitting so damn hard, you don't need to hit so hard to get that sound, learn proper hand technique, try matched grip, just do a quick search of that on Youtube. Stop using your arms, use the back fingers. You will notice that you're getting the same sound.

The pedals however, I have no idea why they're breaking. The only time I've ever broken a pedal is if I pulled it apart and put it back together wrong and I thought I was a huge slammer on the pedals back when I started, I just put this down to faulty pedals, and hopefully that's all the problem is.

I hate to come down on you like that, I know how it feels to be told you're playing completely wrong, my first drum teacher did it a few times. My suggestion is buy a practice pad and get your hand technique down, go to your shop and buy thinner sticks I'm think 7A's or anything higher than that. Talk to the guys at the store about cymbals that will take some hard hits, also talk to them about your problems.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-29-2007 at 10:34 AM.

User Info Menu

TRAVIS BARKER ONLY BEATS HIS CYMBALS SO HARD BECAUSE HE GETS THEM IN PACKS OF 30 FOR COMPLETELY FREE!
    Wow....what a nice analogy from you....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    Wow....what a nice analogy from you....
    Lol it's true, Charlie Watts gets his crashes in packs of thirty because he breaks one a night on tour lol. I'll try and dig up the source for that.

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=7PZug4854sI Think this is it.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-29-2007 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Matt,
    First of all... don't quit. It's not worth it. You have too many years invested and you love playing too much.

I rarely break anything and I've played in extremely loud bands. I know a lot of players that work with major artists and they hit "extremely" hard because they play in big arenas all the time. Then I'll see them in a local club and they're playing in a band half the volume but still hitting at the same intensity and overpowering the band. That said, you can get in the habit of playing extremely forceful even when you don't have to. My guess would be that you can lay back and let the mics do most of the work for you. I've seen pics of you and you're a big guy therefore you playing hard is probably going to have more intensity and force behind it than me playing hard (I'm not as big as you).

I would recommend getting on your kit and practicing playing as soft as you can for hours at a time, but still playing all the chops and everything the normal way. I've been doing it lately and I think it's allowing me to play more dynamically as well. This should help tilt your playing back to more of an acceptable intensity and you'll probably stop breaking everything. Your band might even witness more of a dynamic element to your playing thereafter. If you think the band is too loud on a regular basis and lacks any dynamics, maybe you can help steer them in the same direction.

User Info Menu

Man i have been playing for many years and have never hurt a cymbal. And I use thin and paper thin crash cymbals ! You need to mic everyting and turn it up if you need it loud. And you need to use hearing protection if you arn't.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    This is probably one of the first times swearing like that is completely appropriate.
    Actually no, it's not appropriate in here, that's why it's blocked out. Please don't use it.

User Info Menu

When you play don’t drive through on your cymbal and drum strikes. Play to the drum/cymbal. Learn where they are and stop your strike at that location. Also if you need the volume to keep up with your band mates look in to mic’s for your kit. Learn technique not power. I have had only one cymbal break and that was from 10+ years of fatigue not beating it to death. Only drum heads I’ve broken are bass drum heads but they last for a very very long time.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

hate to be a broken record but man you seriously gotta re-examine your technique.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Actually no, it's not appropriate in here, that's why it's blocked out. Please don't use it.
    I see, thanks for the friendly warning then.

User Info Menu

I think maybe you should study your technique, and change it, you don't have to crush everything to be loud, and maybe it is time for your band to turn down a little, or start helping you pay for you replacements(if they don't already), to me this just seems ridiculous to be breaking that much stuff and very unneeded.

Just my thought

User Info Menu

Play softer man... or buy cheaper stuff. If you're going to break it anyway, why dump tons of cash into it. You say that you don't think it's your technique... but it's either that, or everything you buy is of cheaper quality than everyone else. I agree with the other folks... if you're band is too loud, invest in a set of mics. If you already have mics, turn them up. PLAY your instrument, don't destroy it.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

hmm, well, remember vegas, ive seen this before

Look around ebay, notice how you can find medium thing Avedis crashes, fvrom like the 60's, used, in great shape

But you cant find any used Z customs still crack less, from like 5 years ago, ive seen 1 crackless z custom on ebay, and it was 2 years old, anytihng past 3 was cracked

The heavy cymbals like to put so much pressure on themselfs, they seem to break faster, because they cant flex

Also, try and slice them, and get off them quickly, let them flex, if your laying flat into them, and not getting off fast enough, the cymbal flexes back onto the stick, which bends it up, thus leading to cracks

All i can say, i dunno about the hardware, send it back to DW and ask for a investigation? They also have warrentys out, thats about all i know what to say, and as already suggested, try and play softer, turn up your mics, i know you can get carried away at gigs and overplay everyone, and just dominate your kit, ive done it before, my kit has held up to it, but dont make it an all time thing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I see, thanks for the friendly warning then.
    Your welcome. Thanks Roger.

User Info Menu

After readin your comments.... It has to be a technique issue.
    I cant say that everything I am buying is somehow defective... I suppose I shoud really re-consider my appraoch to how I play.

I appreciate all advise and input.

I have heard people suggest that heavier cymbals tend to crack more often because there lack of flex... can this be true? Would a lighter weight cymbal not be able to withstand repeated heavy usage?

Anyway...

I will try to figure out how to get a video up for you guys to see (Im not very computer literate) and then you guys can give me some more input on technique and approach.

Maybe I should stop watching Morgan Rose so much!!! LOL.

Thanks again,

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Morgan Rose is awesome and totally underrated for his ability. An yes, he is a very heavy hitter!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

You may want to look into medium weight cymbals... heavy tends to be brittle, and thin... is just well... thin, medium may be flexible enough to take your assaults, and thick enough to endure through it for a while.... just at thought
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Idk what to tell you, dude. That sucks though lol. Kinda brings a downer on my thoughts about the Iron Cobra and Sig's that I'm getting, hope you find a solution.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

don't quit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Idk what to tell you, dude. That sucks though lol. Kinda brings a downer on my thoughts about the Iron Cobra and Sig's that I'm getting, hope you find a solution.
    *Re-reads post* Oh wow, someone can break IC's? They're known as one of the most durable pedals on the planet...

User Info Menu

Cool Completely disgusted...

Hey, Matt,

It makes me think of your sig: "Hitting my drums like they owe me money."

I know that's tongue-in-cheek, but could it be you're playing too hard?

You say you've got a loud band--but I think you shouldn't have to bash, crash and thrash your set to outplay your guitarists and keyboard man. You might want to check your levels to make sure your drums are balanced with the guitars, keyboard and vocals.

I agree with drummer--practice at softer levels will get you used to not only working on your dynamics, but it'll allow you to let the mics do the work, rather than you.

Whatever you do, bro', don't give up...you've put too much time (not to mention money) into your drumming...and sometimes you have to back off a bit rather than banging your heads (drum heads) against the wall...

Good luck, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

or you could buy all of your stuff from guitar center and get the performance guarantee
    they may see you once a day but you only have to buy it once haha

User Info Menu

Yeah man, don't quit, you just gotta figure out what cymbals work. Maybe look your set up over and revise it. Posting a video would be great too. Maybe you might want to take some time to play by yourself too? Just have some fun every so often, get the feel for doing something you love back.

User Info Menu

The Who used to wreck stuff all the time but I think it was on purpose. LOL

all the best...