Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

User Info Menu

Default What do you think?

I'm trying to decide on what kit to buy at an affordable price. Something that is stage worthy and sounds good. I definitely want a 6 or 7 pc. kit. 8" 10" 12" up top and a 14" or 16" Floor tom or both. They could be suspended or with legs. Anyway here are some of the ones I been looking at.
    Gretsch- Catalina maple(No 8" tom). Catalina Ash(not sure about the shells). No add ons that I can see. They do look nice though!

Pacific- X 7's A lot of drums for little money, not sure but, I like the set up!
    M birch- kind of leaning towards this way. The studio or the
    crossover 22.

Tama- This kit peeked my interest... Guitar center has a Rockstar set 8 pc. for like 800.00. It has a double bass, but has all the sizes I want. I could play it as a double or break it down to what ever situation I need it to be. Not sure of the quality of the shells.

Any other brands you all can come up with would be appreciated. I'm trying to do this like under 1500.00 bucks. I have cymbals and hardware.

Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Tama- This kit peeked my interest... Guitar center has a Rockstar set 8 pc. for like 800.00. It has a double bass, but has all the sizes I want. I could play it as a double or break it down to what ever situation I need it to be. Not sure of the quality of the shells.
    Wow....Take this one dude....
    This things is awesome....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Yea the Tama isn't too good of a choice, it's definitely a good deal, but the shells are poplar and basswood or birch and basswood. Same with the X7, poplar is a crappy wood.
    Out of those three options, the Gretsch would be your best bet. Personally, I own the Catalina Birch and love it, but wish I would have gone with the 6 piece maple when I had the choice since maple is such an incredible wood. Go for it, dude.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

32nd is right, poplar=horrible stuff. Though if you do what PDPlayer is doing and bought a 5pc kit and added toms onto it.

User Info Menu

Rockstars are birch and basswood I believe. I have a rockstar, and check out my vids to see how they sound, not the best playback quality in the world, but enough to just see I think. I would go with the tama. Though the Gretsch and PDP sound good too.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll will be looking for a little while. I think that's half the fun is doing all the research.

User Info Menu

I think that's half the fun is doing all the research.
    C'mon..It's definetly more than a half...
    I love when doing some research for my next buying product...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Our Army Reserve band used a Tama set for years, and it held up to all kinds of abuse, long trips packed under a bus, etc. I believe it was a Swingstar set, sounded pretty decent too. I like the Gretsch choice also the Maple set comes with a free 16X16 floor time free!! I would go and play them if you can and see which one appeals to you the most. That Tama set up sound pretty versatile, and with two bass drums that is a great price.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    C'mon..It's definetly more than a half...
    I love when doing some research for my next buying product...
    Soooooo....True!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rray5521 View Post
    Thanks, I'll will be looking for a little while. I think that's half the fun is doing all the research.
    I agree, although I am partial to the Gretsch Catalina Maple because it is the kit that I chose, the process of researching the various kits was a blast, and I learned so much! There are a lot of good drums out there, so enjoy. My advice is to go check out as many kits as you can, and make sure that you know what woods the shells are made out of, so that you can decide which overall tone you like the best (mine turned out to be maple). Once you've figured out the wood that you want in your drum shells, then you can narrow down the choice of a kit by quality, color, price, and configuration.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I think the Catalina maple's are a great set. I wish it had an 8" tom. The ash set looks awesome, just never heard them yet. They have an 8" tom. The price is good too. I may be able to find toms that are close in color to add later. Just a thought. Have you played the ash kit?

User Info Menu

Yeah, I heard the Ash kit (didn't actually play it), at my local music store. It actually sounded pretty good. I think it compares favorably to the birch kit, which make sense since they discontinued the birch kit, and went with the Ash. BTW, Gretsch told me that they might introduce an 8" tom for the Catalina Maple this year. It's not a done deal, so I'm waiting to see if it comes about.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Ray, i don't know if you have made a choice yet. But I will tell you that I played a new Tama Superstar kit that was a backline kit that was provided for me for a new years gig in Missouri. I have a maple LX PDP kit that is my own that I love the sound off and I will recommend PDP too. But I will also say to not shy away from the Tama's if that is what you are leaning towards. The kit I played is bass wood and birch ply shells. They were punchy and really sounded good to me. Were they better than my maple shells? No! But did they sound good and get the job done? yes! Would I consider owning a set like I played? Absolutly! I came away impressed, They were a good road worthy kit. And they were beautiful to look at too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yeah, I heard the Ash kit (didn't actually play it), at my local music store. It actually sounded pretty good. I think it compares favorably to the birch kit, which make sense since they discontinued the birch kit, and went with the Ash. BTW, Gretsch told me that they might introduce an 8" tom for the Catalina Maple this year. It's not a done deal, so I'm waiting to see if it comes about.
    Yeah, I'm going to hold out to see if they offer other options for 2008. I heard from someone that works at music store that possibly some new info. MAY be available in a week or two. This is just a rumor and no one really knows yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Ray, i don't know if you have made a choice yet. But I will tell you that I played a new Tama Superstar kit that was a backline kit that was provided for me for a new years gig in Missouri. I have a maple LX PDP kit that is my own that I love the sound off and I will recommend PDP too. But I will also say to not shy away from the Tama's if that is what you are leaning towards. The kit I played is bass wood and birch ply shells. They were punchy and really sounded good to me. Were they better than my maple shells? No! But did they sound good and get the job done? yes! Would I consider owning a set like I played? Absolutly! I came away impressed, They were a good road worthy kit. And they were beautiful to look at too!
    Funny, Ive been looking real hard at the PDP FS series in charcoal to black fade. So far it's between Gretsch, PDP, and possibly Mapex M Birch. I may pass on the Rockstar kit. Man, I still have to sell my old drums first. Wife won't let me have three sets in the house. I love her.

User Info Menu

I may pass on the Rockstar kit. Man, I still have to sell my old drums first. Wife won't let me have three sets in the house. I love her.
    I think you are making the best choice of all!

User Info Menu

ya i wouldnt get that rockstar set

HBdrummer Guest

Default Re: What do you think?

I'm trying to decide on what kit to buy at an affordable price. Something that is stage worthy and sounds good. I definitely want a 6 or 7 pc. kit. 8" 10" 12" up top and a 14" or 16" Floor tom or both. They could be suspended or with legs. Anyway here are some of the ones I been looking at.
    Gretsch- Catalina maple(No 8" tom). Catalina Ash(not sure about the shells). No add ons that I can see. They do look nice though!

Pacific- X 7's A lot of drums for little money, not sure but, I like the set up!
    M birch- kind of leaning towards this way. The studio or the
    crossover 22.

Any other brands you all can come up with would be appreciated. I'm trying to do this like under 1500.00 bucks. I have cymbals and hardware.

Thanks in advance.
    I recorded the 3 tracks in my sig with my worship band playing an X7!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    32nd is right, poplar=horrible stuff. Though if you do what PDPlayer is doing and bought a 5pc kit and added toms onto it.
    Poplar is a hard wood that has been used in conjunction with maple to make some of the worlds most famous drums. If it wasn't an all maple shell, Gretsch, Ludwig, Rogers used maple/poplar/mahogony shells with maple reinforcement rings. The new Legacy collection by Ludwig is a return to the shell construction and looks of the famous Ludwig Classics of the early 60's. Made in Monroe, N.C. just like their predecessors, a 4pc kit will set you back $4500 retail and $4900 for the 5pc shell pack. I am original owner of a 1964 set of those same Ludwig classics. Tight seams, fully intact and in-round 3-ply shells, these babies pack a punch and a finesse that simply amaze you. Check out the specs of lower prices kits and you'll find plenty of Basswood but not Poplar.

User Info Menu

I would look at Mapex MBirch or ProM for outstanding quality and value.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I would look at Mapex MBirch or ProM for outstanding quality and value.
    Hola como estas BISH *CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMER(CAT) GREAT ADVICE * SINCE MAPEX ARE VERY HOT TAMBORES(DRUMS)
    & the company is Very EASY to contact***Love it GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

*snip*
    Check out the specs of lower prices kits and you'll find plenty of Basswood but not Poplar.
    I tried several high end and mid level kits last week and the Legacy Classic sounded the best of all kits on display, it was phenomenal. They use a 1/8" thick ply of poplar sandwiched in between two 1/16" plies of maple. That means it's a 6.35mm thick shell.

That's inbetween the 5mm that Pearl call thin for their Masterworks, and the 7.5mm that Pearl call medium.

Warmth...resonance... and punch, all three of them by the bucket loads. I think the reinforcement rings is what adds the punch but I don't know.

But Pearl (for example) use much thinner plies (1.25mm each), so to get 7.5mm they glue together 6 plies. That means 5 layers of glue instead of 2, and we all know what glue sounds like. It dampens vibrations. It might have more projection though, because the shell is slightly thicker. But oh my...

The only kit that came close to the Legacy was Ludwig's own Classic Maple, which I believe has a 6mm shell. Lacking the poplar, it didn't have as much warmth. It seemed to have the same amount of resonance, but less punch. Different skins on them though, but the punch and warmth differences were quite obvious.

Sorry for going off-topic slightly, but I thought I'd provide some more information on poplar. It probably sounds pretty similar to mahogany.
    Last edited by Roenie; 08-03-2008 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Roenie...Thanks for your review and what you learned about the Ludwig Legacy collection. I've never tried them as none of the local dealers carries a set on the floor...so expensive. However, I have heard tremendous praise about them. My own set of drums are 1964 Ludwigs Classics with the shell composition the Legacy is a re-issue of. I am the original owner and have played this set for 44 years and love the sound of them even more. I play primarily with an 18 pc. Big Band and these beauties have never let me, or the band, down.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j.../FranksKit.jpg

User Info Menu

BTW, speaking of drum heads, I use Remo coated pinstripes on the toms with Ludwig WeatherMaster coated single ply as reso's. On the supraphonic snare, I have a Remo coated Emperor. On my bass drum, the batter is an Aquarian Force 1 and the reso is the Remo Ebony. I attribute to sounds of my drums to these particular heads.

User Info Menu

Thanks Ron,

I did a lot of looking around and decided that there are plenty of used drums out and about with out buying new. I bought a used set of PDP's CX series in black onyx in excellent condition. I have what I was looking for too! 8" 10" 12" 14" 16" toms. A 22x18" kick and the matching snare for 500 bucks. It originally didn't come with the snare from the seller but found one on Ebay for 60 bucks. No one bid on it! The economy is tight and people are selling things at good prices. Check your local CraigsList.
    It never get's easier, you just go faster- Greg LeMond