Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW and Pacific

User Info Menu

Default DW and Pacific

Another thread got me thinking about this:

Who all thinks DW lauching another brand was a smart move? Do you think it's helped them or hurt them?

User Info Menu

Well I guess it must have helped them in the money department... Plus Pacific is great for starters who don't have that much mu on there hands. It was a good move IMO.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

well pdp does have some quality sets, but it almost seems like they dw turned into giant sell outs when they started making more affordable kits, like they almost became less classy

User Info Menu

Cool DW and Pacific

Makes me think of the LP/CP/Aspire lineup...apparently DW is hoping some of the magic of DW will rub off on the Pacific lineup...

but--while this is not a drum example, this is a demonstration of what could happen in the long run: In 1961 Chrysler had a huge success with the Newport series, but the previous lowest-priced model, the Windsor, was dying on the vine. Someone at Chrysler got the great idea of renaming the Windsor the 300 for 1962, They figured the magic of the 300 letter-series sports coupe and convertible would rub off on the dowdy old Windsor...

Instead, the glamour of the 300-H (the '62 letter-series) did not rub off on the "new" 300, but the dowdy image of the old Windsor cheapened the image of the 300...and it took years for Chrysler to recapture that magic--if they ever recaptured it at all.

CPs are good drums, and I love playin' them, but to me, CP doesn't have the magic of LP...(at least the old ones)...and it could hurt DW in the long run...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Coke, DW is still the classiest and priciest brand in the entire drum market. PDP drums are their affordable company because they wanted to get the money off beginners instead of high class drummers looking for the best.

User Info Menu

Do you think it's hurt their high end brand at all Roger?

User Info Menu

if you guys go to the pearl website and watch the videos about there newer kits morgan rose says something interesting. "by makeing starter kits we were able to figgure out how to make better kits better, everything that was annoying about starter kits was cut out or fixed on high class kits" from pearls starter line up you got the referance series. with any luck pdp, will teach dw what they need to do to make there drums even more killer just from these budget kits
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Do you think it's hurt their high end brand at all Roger?
    Hurt? No, though I don't think they'll help DW much apart from getting that extra bit of money. I can't think of anything wrong with DW except the shells and that's just my personal taste not everybody else.

User Info Menu

I think that overall DW is benefiting from the decision now, and will continue to in the future. I don't see any viable negative impact on the image of DW at all, drummers still understand that it's the best, and it offers a DW-like kit for those on a budget. In a completely business sense, I think that the only outcome is that DW has captured an entirely new market. Ask any of the PDP players in here, PDP is still quality stuff. I've begun to view DW an PDP as one united company under the DW umbrella, with DW's being similar to the Tama Starclassic/Warlord, or Pearl Masterworks. The only way I see DW hurting is if they slack on thier higher end drums, which I don't think they've done at all.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I think their just trying to capture more of the market. To offer more product to the masses. Think of all the beginners and intermediate players out there that need a good kit, not a pro kit, but a good one. Why wouldn't DW try and capture more of the market. I know for me if I had the cash to plop down on a high end DW kit, I'd probably have it for a long time and be out of the market for new drums also for a long time.

I'm into cycling and lets say a company like TREK. They make bikes that cost thousands and also bikes that cost a few hundred bucks. I don't think offering less expensive models or out sourcing hurts them one bit.

User Info Menu

Think of it this way (if there was no Pacific drums), say dw kits start at $2,000 and the only kits available in the beginner/ intermediate price range($400-$800) were Pearl, Tama, Mapex, etc. then when it became time to upgrade(hardware/ shells) the player may decide to stick with the brand he/ she has been playing instead of jumping over to dw's. By making the dw name available through the Pacific line they're making money of course, but more importantly they're advertising!

Smart thinking on dw's part I believe.

User Info Menu

i didnt even know roger drums still existed

User Info Menu

I remember when DW had two different lines that they produced out of their California shop. A little reminicent of the pdp line but much more affordable now. I think DW branching out allows them to reach the customers that normally can not purchase their higher-end line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post
    Think of it this way (if there was no Pacific drums), say dw kits start at $2,000 and the only kits available in the beginner/ intermediate price range($400-$800) were Pearl, Tama, Mapex, etc. then when it became time to upgrade(hardware/ shells) the player may decide to stick with the brand he/ she has been playing instead of jumping over to dw's. By making the dw name available through the Pacific line they're making money of course, but more importantly they're advertising!

I agree NA! I think that DW is giving the beginning and intermediate drummer "a taste," so to speak. The secret to customer loyalty is to always give the customer more than they are paying for. Ddrum is getting a bad reputation because the customer is paying for a playable drum, and getting problems. If DW gives good quality, at an affordable price in their Pacific line(as I have experienced with their hardware), they will do well, and as NA points out, they will build customer loyalty that they hope will transfer into the DW line.

I think it's a winner as long as the quality remains high, and the prices are reasonable.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Helped, Helped, and Helped.

If they hadn't made a second line, I would not have the wonderful drumset I have now, my kit is the closest I will come to DW drums for a long while, so I am very thankful, and think it was a great move on DW's part.

User Info Menu

I think all of the points given here have been valid I will say that PDP has been a cash cow for DW. They sell, I would bet 10 to 1 PDP kits over DW. Granted the DW kits are incrediable, but the PDP kits are more in the average drummers income range. Or you can liik at it this way, for myself with a wife and family it is a much easier sell to my wife to allow me to spend family finances on a LX PDP kit with top line DW hardware and top line cymbals. Even though I could afford the collectors kit if I really wanted it. I just could not justify taking money that could be used for so many other more important things in the long run, than to feed my (selfish) hobby and it really is selfish in that my family over all does not really benefit from my playing. We would get along just fine if I did not play. Would I like to have a collectors kit, yea, can I justify it, no! So I am very happy to have My PDP LX Kit. I think that DW did a great thing for allot of reasons by offering the line.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-02-2008 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Would a beginner in the market for a beginner kit even know that they are the same company?

I know that if I was just starting out and had to choose a starter kit, I would choose a brand that I know and a brand that I had seen good drummers playing. Even if you got a really ordinary Pearl or Tama kit, you'd have yourself a Pearl or Tama kit and the quality of it all probably wouldn't matter too much.

On one hand, it may be risky to use the same name for an inferior product, but on the other, using such an established and respected name could do wonders for it.

But I think I would do it the way they have. Minimal risk to the respected, good, established brand, and still an opportunity to penetrate a new market. If it doesn't work out... You don't lose everything.

User Info Menu

PDP say made by DW all over them. All of the badges as well as the stock heads have the DW symbol displayed!

User Info Menu

i stand corrected!

User Info Menu

well if this means they have beginner inter. and pro now i think thats great. More money and more options. Good on them :>

One thing i found is some companys having nice drums but no cheapo range. It kinda annoyed me :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i think for DW is better to have another brand cheaper than to have DW cheap kits. Like this DW keeps the prestige of the brand
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post

Totally agree. More money, more advertising. The only way this would of hurt DW is if PDP were making low quality drums and they are not. They are pretty much saying, "here, have a little taste of the pie"
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Mmmm, pie... Yummy!

User Info Menu

Hello Everybody! I am a Intermediate level drummer from Costa Rica. I played drums some years ago for a local band and have been out action until now. This November an incredible urge to play drums again forced me to begin shopping around for a new Drums Set. Here in Costa Rica there was not many options. I looked at the Yamaha Stage Custom, Pearl Export and PDP FS series. I have to say first off that i have worked 5 years in a machine precision shop and i know a great deal about metallurgy and precision craftsmanship. I was completely impressed by the PDP and my decision was very easy. I have been playing my new set for about 2 months and the sound is incredible, everybody that hears it is blow away. As another fellow stated in this thread, i think it true that DW is giving us less fortunate drummers a piece of the pie and letting us have a feel of what a pro set is. After this a will definitely upgrade in the future to a DW. For this reason i think that DW launching another brand was a very great and smart move due to the loyalty that DW is going to have from all us PDP players in the future. Saludos desde el Pacifico Norte!!!!
    Believe in yourself.....and you shall have no limits.

The Love of My Life??
    - DW PDP FS Natural/Charcoal Fade-4 Piece
    - Tama Metalworks Steel Snare 13'' x 6.5''
    - Zildjian K Custom 13.25" Hybrid Hi-Hats
    - Zildjian K Custom 16" Dark Crash
    - Zildjian K Custom 18'' Dark Crash
    - Zildjian K Custom 20" Dry Ride

User Info Menu

Acoger to Drum Chat CostarricanDrummer!!! (hope I did that right) I am glad that you are enjoying your PDP set! There are others in here that share your admiration for PDP. I'm sure you will find plenty of support for your renewed love of drumming! Saludoes desde el Pacifico Central!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!