Thread: Destroyed bass reso head

Shazane Guest

Default Destroyed bass reso head

Awhile ago I made a hole in it with a coffee can but I couldn't find a reinforcement ring anywhere in Lexington, and eventually it completely ripped in half.

So I immediately need a 22" head, preferably with a dampening ring and a pre-cut 6" hole and a reinforcement ring, for a reasonable price.

These seem good:
    Last edited by Shazane; 12-30-2007 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Is aquarian an option? I have an aquarian head with precut 6 inch hole. I love it. Best reso I've ever used. The Remo's do look good though. I like the Ambassador.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

How bout Evan's ???

But if you choose between two of the Remo's....
    I go with the Ambassador...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

, buy a reinforcement ring from them as well. Or you could do what I did and go to my local music shop, buy a new reso head, ask them to cut it and put a reinforcement ring on it and then I pay no more than an extra $50 (at most) for the head.

Shazane Guest

I'll see if I can get a better deal on a pre cut head or getting them to do it, I'm not trying to make my own again. And definitely a reinforcement ring, I need the best head $50 can buy, don't want this happening again any time soon.

I think I'll go for the ambassador unless the powerstroke is alot better for not much more price.

User Info Menu

If you're looking for a pre-cut hole I wouldn't get the 5.5", a 6" hole is the equivalent to having no reso head at all, the only plus you'll get out of it will be easy to mic. A 4" is ideal if you really need a hole, it will take away the extreme rebound and leave you with some subtle rebound when you slam down the pedal, it'll be easy to mic and is big enough to let the air out of there fast enough.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    If you're looking for a pre-cut hole I wouldn't get the 5.5", a 6" hole is the equivalent to having no reso head at all, the only plus you'll get out of it will be easy to mic. A 4" is ideal if you really need a hole, it will take away the extreme rebound and leave you with some subtle rebound when you slam down the pedal, it'll be easy to mic and is big enough to let the air out of there fast enough.
    The only reason I have a hole at all is to mic it, as micing or triggering is necessary to play fast double bass live. I had a 6" before, and it only sounded better, still resonated correctly, I've heard that OVER 6 inches is like no reso head, actually, so a 5.5 should be perfect, and the right size to fit my mic in.

User Info Menu

what kind of batter head do you use?

Shazane Guest

Got my Remo Powerstroke 3! Cut a hole in it, but this time I did it right, and had a reinforcement ring. Sounds great!!

My batter head is just the Protone that the drum came with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Got my Remo Powerstroke 3! Cut a hole in it, but this time I did it right, and had a reinforcement ring. Sounds great!!

My batter head is just the Protone that the drum came with.
    thats gotta go soon ps3 batter would work well.

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    thats gotta go soon ps3 batter would work well.
    not quite an option, I spent every cent I had on the powerstroke, because I actually needed it. the protone heads really aren't bad, not the best but there's no necessity to replace them right now.

User Info Menu

Cool

I have returned to having full head on front (chrome evans head matches my kit) with an evans emad on batter...BOOM!!!!!! but controllable
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Destroyed bass reso head

Evans EMAD or EQ reso headss have a hole with a reinforcment ring

User Info Menu

Default Re: Destroyed bass reso head

I prefer the Aquarian Regulator with the offset 4" hole... if 4" is cool with you.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47