Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How many hand drums do you own?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many hand drums do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Actually, as we speak, there is a fellow conga player that is setting up to buy my congas for my asking price (not $10,000 by the way). I had them for sale last year and I just could not go through with it - I backed out at the last minute. I thought he'd be really upset but he understood. Well, a year has gone by and I'm at the place in my life where it may be time to sell them. He's getting the $$$$ together and getting back to me. Ya - know - they're only drums I keep telling myself. But, what a history Valje has had and I was a part of it (not from the begining in the 50's - I wish) for 32 years (1976). If I back out this time he's going to take a contract out on my I think.

Cheers (again)

Kona - That's me and my Valje's in Kelowna, BC Canada 1978.......sad to say - the drums have weathered time better than me.......it sucks gettin old. "Getting old is not for whimps!"
    Wow Kona, Your really gonna sell them. Is this the end of the road for slapping congas? I'm sure you have pics of them to look back on.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I have those bongos I inquired about months ago! I also have a couple native drums - hand drums... maybe?

User Info Menu

Hmmm....
    A Fat Conga Stringed Cajon
    Mountain Rythm Stringed Cajon
    Ashiko
    MP Junior Congas(pair = 2!!)
    LP Compact Giovanni Conga
    12" Remo Djembe'
    total - 7...modest, but works for what I need!!!
    Also

assorted shakers/ tamborines/ cowbells
    DW collectors Maple 4 piece.
    An old Pearl something from the 70's-5 piece
    Pearl Exports - 7 piece
    Yamaha Stage custom Advantage-6 piece
    a didjeriedoo....not sure if thet can be considered percussion, but it's cool!
    and a couple accoustic guitars

that's bout it for my arsenal
    no more room!!!

cool thread Bongo Bro

Cheers....
    Last edited by Jackstraw; 12-19-2008 at 08:30 PM.
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

Cool Re: How many hand drums do you own?

Glad ya like it, Jackstraw! Cool arsenal you got there, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Nice collection of toys Jackstraw. I dig your name btw, I'm a huge deadhead!

Umm lets see... I have a pair of Gon Bops congas, 2 rope tuned djembes, a metal doumbek, and this weird clay indian drum (like a cross between a tabla and a bata). Thats all as far as hand drums at the time being, but I'm searching for a gon bops quinto and a super tumba to add to my set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Nice collection of toys Jackstraw. I dig your name btw, I'm a huge deadhead!
    DEADHEADS RULE!!!! HOw many shows?

User Info Menu

Deadheads....
    I'm not a true deadhead... just liked seeing them once and a while....and listening to Gerry sing as much as possible.
    Dead Shows = 12 shows total
    Allman Brothers = 24 shows...including the 1st 5 shows "March Madness" - Beacon Theatre NYC 2000 - awsome trip!!!! - would suggest you try it!!
    Phish - 9 times or so
    That's about it for me with that scene.....

Ahhh, them were the good old days....
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackstraw View Post
    Deadheads....
    I'm not a true deadhead... just liked seeing them once and a while....and listening to Gerry sing as much as possible.
    Dead Shows = 12 shows total
    Allman Brothers = 24 shows...including the 1st 5 shows "March Madness" - Beacon Theatre NYC 2000 - awsome trip!!!! - would suggest you try it!!
    Phish - 9 times or so
    That's about it for me with that scene.....

Ahhh, them were the good old days....
    12 shows is about what I have seen. I was really into them for a long time. Lots of bootlegs. Never saw the Allman Brothers, would've loved to. Never Phish..... I saw a DVD on them and really didn't see the attraction.

How about Bela Fleck and the Flecktones?? I saw them like 6 times in the 90's

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I was too young, I was only 12 or so when Jerry died . I've seen The Dead before minus Jerry though. Never got to see Phish either, Trey 3 or 4 times and various side projects from the others. I've seen Bela a couple times, once a few years ago at an outside venue during a lunar eclipse, absolutely amazing! Widespread Panic is my band, I've been to about 20 of their shows.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately I was too young, I was only 12 or so when Jerry died . I've seen The Dead before minus Jerry though. Never got to see Phish either, Trey 3 or 4 times and various side projects from the others. I've seen Bela a couple times, once a few years ago at an outside venue during a lunar eclipse, absolutely amazing! Widespread Panic is my band, I've been to about 20 of their shows.
    Cool!! Was Bob wearing the beard??? That is so not him!

User Info Menu

Cool!! Was Bob wearing the beard??? That is so not him!
    Indeed he was...

User Info Menu

I hate it! I guess I miss his "normal" look. He did have a beard in the 70's.
    One of my favorite shows was Orlando '90. I saw 3 nights there. I went alone, but the people took me under their wing. I lived on water and mushrooms. What a blast from the past!

User Info Menu

So far I can count 2 djembe, 2 bodhran, a darbuka, a conga, a bongo set, and a native frame drum.

User Info Menu

I don't own any hand drums yet, but eventually want to. For all intensive purposes, i have a set with triangle, maracas, egg shakers, those things you scrape the stick across the washboard ridges (forget the name of that LOL)
    the wood sticks you hit together, tambourine, the drum shaped like a tambourine you hit with a mallet. a small bell sounding rod. Another tambourine which i can use with my hand, or mount on my kit.

My wife says it's the set music teachers in elementary school use

User Info Menu

...those things you scrape the stick across the washboard ridges (forget the name of that LOL)
    the wood sticks you hit together...
    that would be guiro and claves =)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dellis26 View Post
    So far I can count 2 djembe, 2 bodhran, a darbuka, a conga, a bongo set, and a native frame drum.
    Welcome to Drum Chat Dellis! I admit that I'm not familiar with a darbuka. What is that?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My sister has 2 congas that nobody uses. I think they're made by Meinl? Oh well, at least some German brand.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dellis26 View Post
    Dellis, welcome to DrumChat, and especially to the bongo brotherhood! Cool selection of world-beat drums ya got there, man!

A darbuka is a smaller version of a doumbek--a little Arabian drum often associated with belly dancers...I have a doumbek, PB, and that adds a little Oriental flavor to my Latin riffs...

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    My sister has 2 congas that nobody uses. I think they're made by Meinl? Oh well, at least some German brand.
    Hey, mate--that's like saying Mercedes-Benz and BMW are "at least some German brands of automobiles." Meinl is to Germany and Europe what LP and Gon Bops are to America--the top-of-the-line in hand drums! I have a pair of Meinl bongos that are an extremely close second in quality and sound to my LPs! And to think that no one is playin' those congas? Maybe it's time for you to borrow them???

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

just got 2 new congas!

User Info Menu

I do not have any :(

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tazmania View Post
    I do not have any :(
    Hey, Taz, maybe Santa might have left some under your tree! (Hope you do get some next year, maybe!)

Charlie

User Info Menu

Yes, I hope so because they will be a nice addtion to my kit. I have wanted to add some hand drums before Merry Christmas Bongobro

User Info Menu

that would be guiro and claves =)
    Thanks Gretsch, had a brain fart there LOL

User Info Menu

I got away from playing set for a few years and amassed a decent collection.

LP Matador wood congas - 11, 11.75, 12.5
    Pearl Primero fiberglass congas - 10, 11, 11.75, 12.5
    random CP conga - 10
    Matador bongos - 7.5, 8.75 (I think)
    Remo djembes - 10, 12, 14
    Pearl Fiberglass djembes - 10, 14
    Toca doumbeck - 10
    LP Giovanni Travel Conga - 11 (x2)
    Old rope tuned djembe and ashiko
    Matador Timbales - 14, 15
    Pearl Brass drumset timbale - 13
    Toys - LP jam blocks (blue, red, and purple), Pearl Ash Tone block (large), LP Rock cowbell, a couple other random smaller bells, LP mountable tambourine, a few rhythm tech tambourines, Meinl stage shaker

I have been lucky enough to be able to pay for all of this stuff with gig money over the course of 15 or so years.
    Last edited by Redeye; 12-26-2008 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow nice collection Shane