Thread: Double Kick

User Info Menu

Talking Double Kick

After 30 years of single kickin', I got a double kick pedal. Can anyone point me towards a good instructional video? I'm interested in the best way( i.e. exercises and/or practice regimens) on how to learn it. Thanks

User Info Menu

Hudson music usually has a lot of good instructional stuff. I think it's www.hudsonmusic.com

There are actually quite a few double bass drum practice books available in most online book stores as well. As for a recomendation of which ones... Umm... I really cant help you much with that.

Good luck though... and welcome to the world of double bass! :-)

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

First off, don't buy a book until you can do some decent double pedal stuff.

Just try to keep a 1+2+3+4+ pattern on the bass drum at 100bpm, then go up in 20's until 160bpm, if you can do that I'd just recommend buying a metal CD anything by Amon Amarth is pretty good for beginning at double bass stuff. Or do what I did and instead of starting out with Amon Amarth which almost always keep it at a steady tempo and an easy one too, I played a Behemoth CD >.> though I won't lie I got pretty good, pretty fast by practicing with that. You'll just sound horrible the first 10 times you play it...

After you can do some decent double bass stuff at 150bpm, then buy a book for increasing speed. You will have skipped spending money up until the choke point of most drummers abilities.

User Info Menu

Buy a couple of Metallica books. That's how I taught myself to use my double-bass. Just pause when you reach a stanza (?) with a difficult DB beat. Play it slow and get the hang of it. Slowly get faster until it becomes easy. Then start the song over again and play through it.
    6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

Check my old post here ( the post about 4 down the page ) - may be of some help??
    Has some scanned DB 'starter' lessons from my teacher- see if it helps???

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...7.html?p=55404

Wotto
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pic8158 View Post
    After 30 years of single kickin', I got a double kick pedal. Can anyone point me towards a good instructional video? I'm interested in the best way( i.e. exercises and/or practice regimens) on how to learn it. Thanks

I'm curious what style of music you play. The advice I've already seen is great, but I'll add my input of what I haven't seen posted yet. It's great to start off learning slow 8ths and 16ths, then building up. What many folks forget about with double bass is all the fill ideas and the "other" non metalISH style of patterns/beats. As far as videos go, I have a link of a guy that plays many of these ideas.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...1&src=3SOSWXXB

His name is Ray and he's a buddy of my old roomate. This video is not all bass drumming but it has a good share of it, also showing applications in live shows. BTW, he's now the new current drummer for KORN, and played for David Lee Roth and Army of Anyone in the past. I think some of the bass stuff he does is great. Another guy to check out is Mike Mangini. I'm sure you have heard of him. Here's a video of him doing some crazy bass stuff as well as hands. It's not quite instructional but rather inspiring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31c-FL0ZlZ0
    Blessings.......
    Last edited by middleman; 12-31-2007 at 03:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a book called the "mirrored groove system" It is great for endurance and comes with a cd of each groove. Takes you through different subdivisions. It helps utilise the left foot start because each groove loops over two bars to give each foot a start.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

ray is playing for korn? dang, they have had alot of drummers in the last year or so. bozzio, joey jordison and now ray luzier. can i get in line?

back on topic...i learned my dbl bass basics from a tommy aldridge video, i forget what it was called. that and metallica/slayer tapes.

User Info Menu

Thanks you guys for the input. Much appreciated.
    I play Sonor Signature Series drums, Zildijian & Sabian cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pic8158 View Post
    Ive been thinking that same thing myself........also been playing single bass for 30 years , and thinking about a double pedal . I was going to get one for Christmas but decided to go for another cymbal / stand instead . Good luck with it and keep us posted on how you make out with it .

gonefishin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    Another guy to check out is Mike Mangini. I'm sure you have heard of him. Here's a video of him doing some crazy bass stuff as well as hands. It's not quite instructional but rather inspiring. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31c-FL0ZlZ0
    Blessings.......

I never heard of this this guy. Checked out video. Still in shock. Wow!
    I play Sonor Signature Series drums, Zildijian & Sabian cymbals.