Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Drumkits V Little Drumkits.

User Info Menu

Default Massive Drumkits V Little Drumkits.

By reading through many of the threads here, it seems to me that most of the drummers around are quite fond of huge drum kits capable of producing enough power to run a small country.

Personally, I prefer not so huge kits. (5 piece or less with not many cymbals.)
    I often see drummers in bands with 600 drums and 1,000 cymbals and fail to see how the same results couldn't be achieved with much, much less.

The drummer from my fav band Jet, has a 4 piece with just a pair of hi-hats and a ride. I've never been listening to their music and felt like anything was lacking as far as the drumming goes. If anything, I think it sounds better.

On the other hand, one of my other fav drummers - from the John Butler Trio - has a beast of a kit - in addition to all the toms and cymbals, he has timbales and a conga and even a big gong - but he uses it all... which is incredible to watch. Watching him play a rock beat with one hand, a hand drum with the other and sing harmonies at the same time usually makes me want to give up being a drummer.

Anyway, just wondering what you all think....

Steve

User Info Menu

To each his own. The more you have, the more you set up. LOL
    I use a 5 piece with just a few cymbals. I'm not opposed to using a slightly larger drumset but it depends on the band and the style of music.

User Info Menu

The guy from John Butler Trio is probably one of the best percussionists in this generation, admit it, his ability to play a number of off beat patterns on a percussion instrument with one hand while playing melodies on his toms with the other stump me.

EDIT: Back on topic though, if you're gigging seven days a week, it's probably best you stick to something under a 6pc because anything bigger than that will become a complete drag to setup day after day. And if you really are playing different places that often it's probably suitable to mount the rack tom off the bass drum or a snare stand, and have the floor tom have legs just to make it easier to set up.

Though if you're playing in a symphonic metal band it's probably really useful to have three rack toms and two floor toms. And 10+ cymbals to go with it.

Roadies on the other hand, if you've got them, and if you're playing in stadiums and can really use them, you've obviously got enough money to out and buy a kit with 5 bass drums and 5 rack toms and 3 floor toms. And it's totally fine to have a setup that big if you've got roadies because you aren't setting that beast up.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-30-2007 at 11:55 PM.

User Info Menu

john butler trio has an incredibly diverse sound though they need all the percussion they can get, and when i saw them play on jay leno he had only a 4 piece with a ride crash and hats

User Info Menu

My first kit was a beach ball (kick), wood chair (tom), garbage can (floor tom), pie tin on a stick (ride). I was 4. I miss that kit.
    I play Sonor Signature Series drums, Zildijian & Sabian cymbals.

User Info Menu

http://youtube.com/watch?v=URNtuqyWW8Q&feature=related

watch the first 20 seconds to see what kind of percussionist the drummer for john butler trio is. amazing

User Info Menu

Cool CC! Thanks, I hadn't heard them before.

Steve, I confess that I enjoy the bigger set up. I am not gigging, and my kit will be for use in my church, so having more sonic possibilities intrugues me. Since I don't move it around much, the bigger kit don't bother me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I wouldnt say everyone is on the big kits. Im sure everyone loves the idea of a mammoth kit to play. But most of us are practible. And have an idea of minimilist playing. I hope :S I guess over time if your happy with what you have you go with new things to play with not just sitting on a kit you have. Ie efx cymbals and stuffs.

But in general i would have thought we were 50 50 on the issue?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I'd probably like to add that about 6 months ago my dream kit was a huge two 24/6" bass drums, 8 all the way to 15 rack toms (don't ask me how I thought I was going to mount them) and a 16" and 18" floor tom. I've come down to believe that I'm fine with a 7pc kit with two bass drums and a 2 up, 2 down set up is about as large as I'd like it. Part of really realizing this was that I bought a 3up and 2down setup and played with it a lot, seeing how I would go without this and that. I wouldn't recommend spending that kind of money just to see if you like playing a 5pc or an 8pc though.

User Info Menu

It's all preference. I have 2 kits that are totally different. I have my monster kit, and I have my 4 piece that I usually use when I gig that is sized a little larger than usual. I will never take apart the monster kit unless I really have to. It's the 22 bass with extension, 9 rack, 1 floor, 3 snare, and a crap load of cymbals that I lost count of. And then there is my 6 piece, 2x 24 bass 2 rack 1 floor and 6 cymbals. You tell me what you wanna bring around, loL. On the other hand you can't beat the different sounds and options that a monster kit can produce.
    Last edited by Diesel777; 12-31-2007 at 05:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool Massive Drum Kits vs. Little Drum Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Pic8158 View Post
    My first kit was a beach ball (kick), wood chair (tom), garbage can (floor tom), pie tin on a stick (ride). I was 4. I miss that kit.
    And I bet you cooked on that one!

I've seen experienced drummers get more sound out a five-piece kit with high-hat, crash and ride than a "huge drum kit capable of producing enough power to run a small country."

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    ...On the other hand, one of my other fav drummers - from the John Butler Trio - has a beast of a kit - in addition to all the toms and cymbals, he has timbales and a conga and even a big gong - but he uses it all... which is incredible to watch. Watching him play a rock beat with one hand, a hand drum with the other and sing harmonies at the same time usually makes me want to give up being a drummer...
    Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=URNtuqyWW8Q&feature=related

watch the first 20 seconds to see what kind of percussionist the drummer for john butler trio is. amazing
    coke_can, I was blown away by that video, man! The JBT fan club has just grown by one!

Steve, I had the opposite reaction, mate: Playin' a conga with one hand and keepin' a rock beat goin' with the other inspires me to combine set and hand drums. I've mentioned watching a guy on the "Today Show" (a morning talk show on NBC in the U.S.) maintaining a 4/4 with bass and high-hat while playin' a funky gospel groove on a conga drum--and diggin' it completely!

I agree with Roger--unless you have many roadies and/or much money, simpler and smaller is better. It's not the drums that make the sound...it's the dude or lady playing them...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

glad to make people realize the greatness of JBT

and bongobro i think you would appreciate this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zdouX23CkYI
    Last edited by coke_can; 12-31-2007 at 03:33 PM.

User Info Menu

IM currently watching one of my favorite drummers Matt Sorum on a Cult video. He has a small kit and he sounds as good as he did with that huge kit he had with Guns N Roses. For me I like a rather small kit. I like a 5 or 6 piece with 3 or 4 crashes and a nice ride. Maybe throw a splash in there.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

lol we all started as kids and turned out men. Looks like alot of us started as newbies on here and became wise with age. Yay for not wanting the wank factor in our lives :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Stevo, if we all could afford it, I bet you we would all be running around with top of the the line kits with two 26" bass drums lol. But we can't and so we've decided on what kind of sound we really want and need for our drumming and try to stick with that.

I once heard a story about a drummer who would bring his entire kit, like two bass drums, five rack toms, two floor toms, three snares into the studio with the task of trying to only use the kit as a four piece. And after the record was recorded he would go back and see what drums he used and just add them to his gigging kit.

User Info Menu

Cool Choices

I Have A Humungous Kit Because I Can....but If I Were To Play Out ,small Kit Would Get Loaded Instead...I Used To Have
    A "Rims Headset",triggers,& Pa Mixer ,and The Best Time On The Planet!!! It All Fit Together Like An Erector Set,,,,"traps "makes A Similar Kit But Doesnt Sound As Good
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Massive Drumkits vs. Little Drumkits

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    glad to make people realize the greatness of JBT

and bongobro i think you would appreciate this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=zdouX23CkYI
    You got it, bro'! That's one goal I want to add to my list for 2008...Michael Barker kicks ... on conga and on drum kit! BTW, look at that vid and you'll see an excellent argument for all of us to develop independence in our hands and feet!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I guess (at the moment I only have a 5 piece, but I've ordered another floor to to make it 6) that having a bigger kit gives you more sonic possibilities, and more flexibility. If you have a 6 or seven piece at home, but you're going to play say and jazz combo job you can take only enough drums with you for a 4 piece kit. It's all about options. If your playing a wide variety of styles, in differing size venues having the extra drums available allows to to configure the set to meet the situation.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

my new gig has me downsizing from a 7pc. with 10 cymbals to a 4pc. with 4 cymbals. its all about what is practical and needed for the music you are playing. for a big kit see the link in my sig.

User Info Menu

im a fan of both for my own musical stuff i like double 22" kicks(the bigger ones seem far to deep in sound) with 2 up 2 down two rides and a couple crashes and a buch of effects stuff. but if i dont need more than a 4 peice and ride then i aint loaden any more than a 4 peace and ride in my car.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Stevo, if we all could afford it, I bet you we would all be running around with top of the the line kits with two 26" bass drums lol. But we can't and so we've decided on what kind of sound we really want and need for our drumming and try to stick with that.

I once heard a story about a drummer who would bring his entire kit, like two bass drums, five rack toms, two floor toms, three snares into the studio with the task of trying to only use the kit as a four piece. And after the record was recorded he would go back and see what drums he used and just add them to his gigging kit.
    Maybe. I know i wouldnt. I would only upgrade the quality of the drums. not my amount. Im pretty set on one kick and 3 rack two floor toms and a snare. Maybe even just two racks after using the TD 20. I under stand the reason for more. I just dont see the point. For me anyway.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I'm a one of everything man. one kick one rack one floor one snare one ride one crash one hat. Extravegance to me is a block a bell and tambourine. I realize what an odd ball I must be, but hey, wouldn't want it any other way.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    my new gig has me downsizing from a 7pc. with 10 cymbals to a 4pc. with 4 cymbals. its all about what is practical and needed for the music you are playing. for a big kit see the link in my sig.
    You nailed it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    And a very unique and cool looking setup on the big rig by the way. Reminds me of a kit I saw Bozzio playing at a clinic I went to once. I like it!

User Info Menu

I find it so interesting that drums are in fasion or out of fasion. in the 80s the huge kits reined supreme. then came grunge in the 90s and everyone wanted to change the image of the hair band of the eighties and huge kits and distance themselves from that so drummers wore plaid flannel shirts and torn jeans, dirty hair as opposed to teased and big hair. and small drum kits. 4 piece kits (I think the the punk scene also help develop the minimulist idea as well) I think that will run it course and it will all come full circle. How come guitars don't go in an out of fasion. Other than colors they haven't changed in years