Thread: Roto Toms

User Info Menu

Default Roto Toms

Does anyone have them? I'm looking into buying some, and I was wondering what they're like on the set.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

pastor bob has some and if you watch his video on the drum contest thread you can see them in action

User Info Menu

i used to have them in the 80s (alex van halen phase) and got to a point where i thought i outgrew them, but i sometimes wish i still had em.

User Info Menu

I myself was really interested in roto toms because I like the marching quad sound they make.

As for using them on a set I had only just banged around on em at Guitar Center. Recently though I tried out my friends dads set and he had roto toms.

I used them for tom fills, which I though would sound goofy, but it fit. I also busted out some marching beats.

I assume they can also be used for quick accents.

User Info Menu

Jd, I found some roto toms for sale on eBay, and picked them up for $50.00. I figured if I didn't really like them it wouldn't be too big a deal because I hadn't made too big an investment. Turns out that I really like them. It's cool having the different sound to work with, and I love the sound of the long roll when I go from the 3 roto toms into the the 4 toms on the kit. If you can get a good deal, I'd go for it. My advice is to check eBay, because you can get a set that someone is giving up on, instead of paying the price for new roto toms.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm always on Ebay, haha, but I have a friend who's willing to sell me his.
    It's a classic.

User Info Menu

Cool rototoms

I use 8" and 12" rototoms as accent pieces altho a bud of mine in new orleans had 14"16"18" as mounted toms....chk out some vintage MIKE MANGINI,,,he used them as toms wif MISSING PERSONS & EXTREME before the clinic setup stuff he uses now,,,,,they definately can have a purpose pn yer kit....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I used to use them but don't really have any desire for them anymore. Roto Toms are very thin sounding. I prefer something with a little more body to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I used to use them but don't really have any desire for them anymore. Roto Toms are very thin sounding. I prefer something with a little more body to it.
    I'm guessing I'll get there one day too, but for now they're fun. I do think paying top dollar for a new set would've been enough for me to pass on.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

they're pretty cool. I've got 6" through 16" roto toms. They are very different than regular toms. For one there not as loud as regular drums. They're plenty loud but not as loud. They don't fit every style in opinion. I think they would fit a lot of "todays" music. Not really for Jazz or Classic rock. Although they would be cool for fusion. I don't really like the smaller sizes as much.

User Info Menu

Cool

They Do Create A Different Sound Than Regular Drums,but They Do Not Project As Well....great For Effects Tho(i Use My 8" Primarily Cranked High Like Acowbell )...stick Mics On Em And Thats A Different Story....6" Wif A Mic Underneath And Some Delay Is A Cheap"syndrum"(remember Those?)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i used to have them in the 80s (alex van halen phase) and got to a point where i thought i outgrew them, but i sometimes wish i still had em.
    I was the same way funky. With me they were a phase that didn't last more than a year. Unless you mic each drum they won't project at all on stage.

User Info Menu

I gotta pair upstairs in the barn back in Canada. 8 and 10 I think.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Cool Roto Toms

I don't have Roto Toms myself (yet,) but if they're cranked up high enough, you could get a tenor or timbale sound out of them--might even use them for bongos if you're so inclined--I think they'd be cool to use for accents in contrast to the usual kit...

(ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching, my wish list is gett'n longer and more expensive by the minute!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a set (6", 8", 10") that I picked up used not too long ago for $50. I was wanting to learn Pink Floyd - Time and I figured that was the only way to get the right sound for the intro sequence. They fit perfectly, but I don't really have any other use for them so they are not permanently a part of my kit. The only time I set them up is if we have decided to put that song in our set list.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roto Toms

I finally got my set of roto toms off Ebay not to long ago. I got the 8 and 10 inch toms, didn't really have a use for the 6 inch.
    It's a classic.

User Info Menu

Hey, enjoy 'em JD.

User Info Menu

What is the difference between ROTO and Ordinary Toms ??

How can I differ them ?? From the sound or the shape ??
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Roto toms have no drum shell. It's basically a drum head mounted on a metal frame that can be rotated (roto) to change the pitch.

Here's a pic of them: http://store.drumbum.com/skuPRC-33.html

Shazane Guest

A long time ago Pearl used to make actual toms that could be tuned like roto toms.

I don't know why they discontinued them, it's brilliant, I would build my whole kit out of them.

User Info Menu

Those do look like a cool concept, but I bet there's also quite a bit of vibrational energy leakage between the head, and the shell. I'm guessing that they just didn't work as well as they thought they would.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jd09 View Post
    Does anyone have them? I'm looking into buying some, and I was wondering what they're like on the set.
    You can listen to Roto-Toms on most Louie Bellson CD's. Louie is a very musical drummer and he used these for their colorations. Two CD's that come to mind are: 1 Louis Bellson Live In New York and 2. Louis Bellson; Their Time Was The Greatest.