Thread: Chris Ferguson - First Drum Corp Member in Outer Space

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Chris Ferguson - First Drum Corp Member in Outer Space

Big News for all you drumline fans.

Chris Ferguson a former snare drummer with the Philadelpia Police Cadets Drum & Bugle Corps is the pilot of the Atlantis Space Shuttle that launched today.

Chris marched in PAL from 1976 - 1979 and currently plays with a jazz combo when he is being an astronaut.

To the best of my knowledge Chris Ferguson is the first drum corps member, possibly the first drummer ever to reach such heights. (no pun intended )

For more about Chris visit:
    http://www.philapolicecadets.org/news.html

I sure hope he took some sticks and we will see the first live drum solo from outer space.

Rich

User Info Menu

that is sooo cool
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

groooooovy

User Info Menu

I was watching the NASA Channel and it said Chris was testing the robotic arm. Wouldn't it be cool to see the arm pick up a pair of sticks and do a few paradiddles....

Rich

User Info Menu

When asked what they would like to take into outer space Dan Burbank, who with Ferguson performs in the all astronaut band Max Q, one of the personal items he might have taken is already on-board the station.

"I'm certainly bringing up some music with me. There's a guitar up there, or that's what I hear. I am looking forward to a chance to play it. But I am not looking forward to the chance to play it on the downlink, so you may have to look hard to see me do that," joked Burbank. "But it will be really neat to do."

"And we don't have a drum set [on-board] unfortunately. Chris Ferguson is our Max Q drummer and a dynamite one at that. I'm not sure if we have drumsticks up, but he may be able to make due with some [thing]."

Maybe we'll see a live jam session from the space station.

User Info Menu

that would be sweeet

User Info Menu

Awesome post Drum Major! I learned something new today. I'll be watching the news for it now.

User Info Menu

Default Chris Ferguson...

Awesome! If they can sneak a guitar up into space, maybe they can take along a pair of bongos or a djembe on the next trip...(of course drummers can play on just about anything, even in orbit)...it would give a whole new meaning to music that's "out of this world!"

GO CHRIS!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Utopia
    groooooovy
    Groovy? that is soo last century...
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

hehe...sorry...

User Info Menu

lol its ok.. in the last 2 hours i've said "Oh fiddlesticks" and "I was flabberghasted" lol
    i was joking of course.. im too cool for that lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =