Thread: Would this work out?

User Info Menu

Default Would this work out?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ck?sku=490429X
    I've calculated how much money I should make by the end of '08 and it's just enough to afford this set... Only issue with me (picky lol) is that this set only comes with four toms, and Gretsch doesn't make an 8" Rosewood Renown.
    So my question is, even after pieces are discontinued, can't you still call the company or manufacturer yourself and order that piece to be made? I mean, why wouldn't they make the full range of drums in the first place? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    Thanks
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

THAT..is a beautiful kit. Not sure what the Rosewood sounds like though. After it is discontinued. You may be able to get the extra piece made if you offer the right amount of money lol
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

You need to check with the manufacturer because sometimes they do have proto-types around in their warehouse even if the item never went into production. They are always doing 'research & development' and they can't do that if they first don't create a proto-type.

It works out best when you know a rep from that manufacturer (you kinda need an "in").

I had a Paiste made a long time ago. It took them forever to make it in Switzerland... then they shipped it from there to their offices in California... and then to their rep in New Jersey... and then to me.

Trust me... it wasn't worth it especially when I was paying for it all. I should have just settled on a production cymbal.

User Info Menu

Actually I ordered a Gretsch Catalina Birch floor tom from Guitar Center, they called me today and told me it was no longer available. Gretsch will do a US custom order for one but they want over $1000.00 for the one drum going that way. So Yes you can order it but be prepared to pay big if it isn't something they have in their current line.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

what does rosewood sound like?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I haven't played a rosewood set before, but my friend has a TD-20 with a rosewood set on there and I liked the sound more than the maple. I know that doesn't hold much credibility for the acoustic rosewood lol, but it's just one thing I noticed. Plus the stuff costs a buttload so it can't be bad lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

the only other pure rosewood kits i have seen are BIG money sonors.

usually after a discontinued item is sold completely out of stock, you wont be able to get it. like someone said...they can make a usa custom drum and charge you out the pooper for it. trust me, if i could get pearl to make me a matching kick drum with matching lugs i would be all over it no matter the price.