Thread: New drum set, or not?

User Info Menu

Default New drum set, or not?

I'm just thinking out loud here...

I've been thinking about getting a new drum set. My dream set is a 8-9 piece Tama with double bass' and a rack system. I'm on a 6-piece Pearl Export now, that sounds completely horrible. I cannot get the toms in a place where I feel comfortable because of the lack of adjustability, and I really need a new snare. The one I'm using now is the one I bought for middle school band class, and I've been beating on it ever since. The internal mufflers rattle, are bent, or just plain don't work. My DW5000 pedals suck, my hi-hat stand is a POS....and since it's 3 legged, I cant get it close enough to my left bass pedal to actually use. I bought a clutch for it today and it's too small.

Ever since I saw the link to the Tama Rockstar 8-piece kit for $899...I've been seriously considering it.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Roc...45-i1372731.gc

Also, what is a "shell pack"? Is it everything but the hardware? Do the FT legs and tom mounts come with it? Bass drum legs? Pedals?

Basically what I'm asking, is should I go new, or dump a ton of money into my old set to get it where I want it. I don't even think Pearl makes toms for my set anymore. I think they upgraded their entire line-up since then.
    Last edited by ATC; 01-04-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

Sounds like your stuff now is just getting worn out. If you can afford the kit you really want i say why not? Also, the shell packs come with the all the drums complete, just no hardware like cybal stands, pedals, etc. It comes with heads and everything on the drums though. I can tell you, i bought my Tama Rockstar in 2000, it has been terrific man. The only things i have had to replace have been sticks, heads and cymbals. The Drums and all the hardware are rock solid and hold up in any situation ive put them in. Minus some small scratches, they look and sound like the day i bought them and im not easy on them haha.

User Info Menu

If you aint enjoying your Export, and it doesn't feel right, then go new. Sell it for cash, you could probably make at least $200-300 of it, if not more, and wow! is that an amazing deal on the Tama's.
    I say go for it, definitely, that deal is far too good to pass up.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default My 2 cents...

I look at buying drums a different way I want the best quality drum i can afford so I buy used higher end drums for what a low end new kit cost. If you shop around and are ready to buy when you find a kit they are out there and for $1000 you can find very nice drums you just need to be ready to make a deal and not wait ! I have 3 kits now and am picking up another tomorrow all used and all so far have been like new for very good deals !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    Sounds like your stuff now is just getting worn out. If you can afford the kit you really want i say why not? Also, the shell packs come with the all the drums complete, just no hardware like cybal stands, pedals, etc. It comes with heads and everything on the drums though. I can tell you, i bought my Tama Rockstar in 2000, it has been terrific man. The only things i have had to replace have been sticks, heads and cymbals. The Drums and all the hardware are rock solid and hold up in any situation ive put them in. Minus some small scratches, they look and sound like the day i bought them and im not easy on them haha.

My drums aren't really worn out. They just need all new heads, tuning, new pedals and a new hat stand. But, that would still leave me short of my "dream set".

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog
    If you aint enjoying your Export, and it doesn't feel right, then go new. Sell it for cash, you could probably make at least $200-300 of it, if not more
    I had a buyer for them a couple months back for $700. But that included everything. If I go with a shell pack, I will hang on to my stands and cymbals. I'm gunna talk to some pawn shops around here and see what they will offer me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow
    I look at buying drums a different way I want the best quality drum i can afford so I buy used higher end drums for what a low end new kit cost. If you shop around and are ready to buy when you find a kit they are out there and for $1000 you can find very nice drums you just need to be ready to make a deal and not wait ! I have 3 kits now and am picking up another tomorrow all used and all so far have been like new for very good deals!
    I will keep that in mind.
    -Sabian/Zildjian

User Info Menu

ATC, I am curious why you want a double bass kit when, unless I misunderstood, you have a double bass pedal?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I was considering buying this set as well later on.

PB, having two bass drums only really allows you to tune one differently then the other. In most cases, this is what the real pros do when they have two bass drums, if anyone uses two bass drums and doesn't have them tuned different, it's probably just for show. Everyone has had their say on it like the fact that going too fast on one bass could cause problems... But Thomas Lang is a perfect example of the insignificance behind that theory. Others say it's a better alternative for racks and stands if you want more drums... What would you rather pay? $300 for a new bass drum, or $90 for a stand?
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I'd bet having two bass drums is more about looks than sound, right!

User Info Menu

i like the two bass drums for the folloing reasonds
    a. two differnt sounds
    b. beater hitting center of drum sounds better for both basses
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

more mounting options
    better tone
    it does look beastly
    a single pedal under each foot makes me feel better about slideing on them and such

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

with 2 drums the sound wouldnt get as choked as it would with one rite? especially playing fast i thot....u'd prolly get to hear more of the resonance anyway...

danny carey talks a bit about this in a mag interview i read in modern drummer last year i think....

User Info Menu

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

And LDB, it's good to see you back in here!

User Info Menu

oh and with double kicks you can play gost notes on one while still hitting a hard kick for the grove with the other and it wont mute out the gost note
    Last edited by drummerdavie; 01-05-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: wrong word

User Info Menu

i'd say sell your current set for some cash, and go ahead and buy the Rockstar.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I would suggest goin for a smaller kit if you are goin for Tamas. Rockstars are nice, but if you go for Starclassics, just less drums, you get more bang for your buck. But if you want a bigger kit, its all good. It just depends on what you want.
    The best things in life involve drums. Drums drums and more drums. oh yeah.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ATC, I am curious why you want a double bass kit when, unless I misunderstood, you have a double bass pedal?
    I do have DB pedals, but they are old DW5002's ('98 is when I got them used...no telling how old they are). I hate them. The left beater is angled such, that it takes a lot of effort to push it. They are very inefficent, and noisy. You might be able to see a glimpse of them in the drum picture thread (Page 33. Post #813). Basically the beater's shaft rises 1 inch, goes up and to the right another 2 inches, and then straight up again another inch where the beater is located.

And, even though I'm not the best with double bass...I can feel the resistance while playing tripplets and 16'ths (the head still vibrating when the second beater strikes the head).

Plus, I would be able to mount 4 toms, instead of my current 2. Makes for much easier playing when the majority of your most used toms are close to the snare/cymbals.

And of course...there is always the *bling* factor with double bass and "TAMA" in huge letters right out front!

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeardBeat
    What would you rather pay? $300 for a new bass drum, or $90 for a stand?
    I'd have to sink that into pedals and a 2-leg hat stand just to keep myself somewhat happy with my set.
    -Sabian/Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm picking up some extra hours at work. Hopefully soon!
    -Sabian/Zildjian

User Info Menu

If you aren't in a rush, look for a really good used kit. You can get it for less $ than a new middle of the road kit. With that said, if Tama, I wouldn't go new Rockstars. Instead you could spend that same money and get a lot more in used. Also, that second bass drum pretty much just creates a pain in the *** when moving and tuning. I paid roughly that same amount for Superstars last year on Musicians Friend. Great kit and i got a free tom, so its a 6 piece along with two roadpro cymbal stands and hi-hat stand.

User Info Menu

yeah to be honest unless you got a roadie to shift ya gear or you intend on having this kit set up permantly somewhere i would go for a good double pedal, personally i think its cooler to have a smaller looking kit ie: Bass drum and have more sound coming of one drum... non drummers look and say wow that drummer gets alot of sound from that kit,its more practical too, plus unless your real good at double bass you can look like a bit of a **** to other drummers if you got two big bassdrums and not real shred on them. also sound wise i think a double pedal is a neater, cleaner, sound, or you could call it choked... as oppose to a bigger sounding double bass set up .. ps. double bass fans please be gentle haha
    TAMA Bubbinga omni-tunes. iron corbra single pedal, Sabian AAX, Vault, & Evolution cymbals, Evans drumheads

User Info Menu

Guitar Center and other Box stores are okay if that's all that you have. If possible, search out a locally owned shop where you can get the help and answers that you are really wanting and need. There are a lot of new kits today for less than $1,000 that would be good choices for you. Don't just buy a set on looks alone. You will want to sit behind several to get a feel for comfort and ease of motion. Also, you will want to tune the heads to get a sounding of what the shells will be like. Three legged hi-hat can be acquired with swivel foot plates...I have one and do use it. Good Luck!!