Thread: Have I lost my mind... or...

User Info Menu

Default Have I lost my mind... or...

This is something I have been wanting to do for a while.
    I want to attatch my snare drum stand (a legless type) to my drum throne. Using a bar of some type, and having it run between my legs.

I think it would be a nice way to always insure that my snare drum is in the right spot, and well as remove some legs from the already crowded floor aound the drivers seat.

Here is a crude drawing of what I have in mind.
    Anyone ever do something like this?

Opinions welcomed.

Matt
    Last edited by VegasDrummer69; 01-04-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

No, but I dont see why it shouldnt work. The only thing is, would you have enough room for your snare to swivle around with you wherever you go. Its definately worth a try.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

looks and sounds like a good idea, you could be the next big name in drums

User Info Menu

It would work but for me, I tend to move the seat a little here and there between songs or while practicing. Don't ask me why, so that that wouldn't be good for me personally. I do think it is a good idea though! I thought I saw something like that somewhere before, but can't remember where. Maybe mounted off a rack or something?

User Info Menu

Cool Have I lost my mind... or...

No you haven't, Matt! I also think it might work for conga players who, like me, play seated--and want to play bongos, djembe, etc., as well. You'd have to adapt it slightly so you wouldn't bang the bongos against the congas as you play...

I agree with livewire, though--you'd need to allow enough space to allow the snare (or in my hypothetical case, bongos) to swivel. You could set a caster or a floor glide, like the kind you place under the legs of heavy furniture to slide them across carpeting, to make it work!

Keep experimenting with it, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

That bar there would have to be pretty strong to put up with the beating some drummers will give it.

User Info Menu

i have seen something like that rigged for djembe. i think it would work, but easier without the backrest so you dont have to hi step over the throne to sit down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i have seen something like that rigged for djembe. i think it would work, but easier without the backrest so you dont have to hi step over the throne to sit down.

That occured to me as well.

I was thinking some kind of quick release fixture, so I could just hook it and unhook it super easy and fast.

Ive already started to assemble this set up... and I will let you guys know, and show you pics when its done.

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

I have seen something like this with the snare attached to a rack, or stand, or something like that. I hope that the attachment to the throne works out. Seems like it might have real possibilities.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you braced it right. Or used thick enough pipe. it could come off the stool without a ground rod. And so as you move around the kit the snare comes too. Your weight would hold it upright. *Counterweights?* Great idea. Me likes.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Yea, only bad thing I can see is if you have a heavy snare, so when you get up from the throne theres not enough weight on the seat and your snare crashes into all your other drums.... or the floor.

User Info Menu

Hey guys... thanks for the input.

Ive been working on this set up, in a few different configurations, most of last night and this morning... So far, so good.

Just to clarify... the point of this is to keep my snare and stand from walking. Im a notoriously heavy hitter, and my snare drum moves alot. (DW 9000 stand and all)
    Typically, the stands manages to end up being up against the conneting rod of my double podals, restricting its ability to rotate.
    Also, the idea of having my snare in a "dead on" postion appeals to me. Meaning, its relationship to my seat, never changes when setting up at the next gig.

Ive come up with a few variations so far... One that does not even use a snare stand or basket. Its a little overkill, but I have it set up with two "rims mounts" holding the snare in a hovering postion, while being attathced to my seat.
    Although this set up seems a bit silly.
    Here is a drawing of it... To give you an idea.

I also want to clarify, Im not trying to make a marketable product... Im trying to improve my set-up situation.

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

Matt, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being an innovator! I say give it a try. The worse possible scenario is that you find out that there is a reason it's not done that way. The best possible scenario is that you create the next wave in drumset innovation! Enjoy the experience dude!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Matt I think that it would work beautifully. and also clear allot of room for the double pedals which to me is the ultimate advantage for building it. I grew up with a father that was a machinist and quite a bit rubbed off on me over the years. I my opinion that would be a snap to fabricate!!!!!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-05-2008 at 12:03 PM.

User Info Menu

just make sure you use a crappy snare that you dont mind falling for the experiments

User Info Menu

this sounds cool i cant wait to see it finished

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post
    Just to clarify... the point of this is to keep my snare and stand from walking. Im a notoriously heavy hitter, and my snare drum moves alot. (DW 9000 stand and all)
    Do you play off a rug or carpet at all? And have spikes on your stands and peddles?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I play on a rug... and am considering just putting some velcro on the feet of my snare stand. It would be a little easier than all this crazy stuff!!! LOL

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

How many pieces do you play? Have you thought about clamping it off a rack?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Steve, I play a 5 piece, with a virgin bass. I have a rack as well... but the distance would be an issue, I think.

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

It looks impractical to me but then I don't have the need. I say, if you're just trying to solve a problem for yourself, go for it. There's nothing to lose. You might stumble across another great idea that is marketable in the process. Ideas are usually born through experimentation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VegasDrummer69 View Post
    Steve, I play a 5 piece, with a virgin bass. I have a rack as well... but the distance would be an issue, I think.

Matt
    Cant you mount like you have done .But instead of off the stool try it off the rack? Maybe better if it doesnt work well off the stool for ya ???
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

dude for the rim mounts if you were to use something like the tama star cast mounting system then it might help a bit.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Cooool! I can see it now...The V-Drum Hung-Rite Stand - it'll be a marketing bonanza! Do I get a commission if you use the name?

You might be on to something. My snare is heavy and the heavy duty stand I use creates pedal/hi-hat placement problems. This could be a viable solution. I think Eons might have a point about needing counter weight or some type of anchoring for the throne so it doesn't tip over. But still, great idea for pedal space and stand creep problems.
    I play Sonor Signature Series drums, Zildijian & Sabian cymbals.

User Info Menu

I will have the newest version of it, this weekend. With NEW PICS!!

Its going to be super cool.

Matt
    Matt G.
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE