Thread: Hi Hat Tilt

User Info Menu

Default Hi Hat Tilt

How many of you tilt your hi hats with the adjustment screw? I don't really mess with it that much.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

I tilt it ever so slightly. Probably doesn't make a difference but I do it anyway.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

I dont really use mine either.
    I like to have the cymbals be able to completely disconnect from one-another.

However, I really like my new hi hat stand that lets me tilt the whole set-up.
    Its kinda cool.

Check it out in the "product reviews" section, if you like.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

My understanding it that the tilter on the hi-hat is there so that if the hi-hat cymbals get a suction effect as they close (creating a delay on the opening), you can tilt the bottom cymbal slightly to prevent that. I've never had that problem, but then I tilt the bottom cymbal ever so slightly anyway. As I think about it, it might actually change the way the cymbals come together, as produce a slightly different sound. I may have to play with it a bit!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I was just thinking about posting this the other day...
    I fooled around with the clutch for a bit and kept it ever so loose. It was the first time I really tried personalizing my hihat setting, so it felt awesome. I'll probably keep it a little tilted from now on.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I've always tilted mine slightly, mainly to avoid air lock. There's nothing more frustrating when they air lock when I'm playing eighths with my left foot during a groove or a solo.

User Info Menu

So slightly you can't notice it sometimes.

User Info Menu

I dont think it makes much of a difference on my dodgy stand :P. Im sure i have seen a stand before where you can tilt the hats seriously like you can a crash or ride though. Seems like a good buy.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I don't tilt mine
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i used to like for the same reason drummer did to prevent air lock but with my k costom master sounds i never have that problem.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

dont good hi hats have the air lock? But with tilt it stops that? I thought thats what i was told a long time ago though
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I keep mine as flat as possiable. I play quick beats so there is no threat of air lock as the bottom cymbals have holes to prevent the air lock problem. I, like vegas drummer like my high hats to completely disengage from each other when I want them too. And also be sloshy when I want with a partialy closed pedal. having them flat gives me more options to play.

User Info Menu

I tilt mine slightly and it does effect the sound if they are flat when you close them the air between the cymbals compresses and they don't sound as good but if their tilted when you close them the air can escape and gives it a better sound and it only needs to be tilted slightly

User Info Menu

I keep my left foot on the double bass pedal, so my hat stays closed 99.9% of the time. But it is tilted just ever so slightly.
    6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

it does produce a different sound
    but it also makes it easier to hit the sweet spot when your doing 16th or 32nd notes on the hats when they are closed

im a tilter haha

User Info Menu

Default Hi Hat Tilt

I always Tilt Mine always have Use this For SOUND Purpose
    Tone Total Feel within the Textured ,Action from haveing the Tilt,It creates
    other Very Cool Smooth Tones.this works well for Me,What ever works for you is All Good. Gracias

User Info Menu

Does not affect my playing, so I removed it.