Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal vs. Wood Snare

User Info Menu

i tried a perspex snare the other day. looked awesome.... lime green with black hardwear *pics coming* but it sounded horrid.... too much resonance. bad sound in general too.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Another equation to the mix is: are you playing acoustically or miked through a PA? In my club experience, wood snares bottom characteristics are multiplied when using a mic. Meaning, you need gobs more top end out of a deep wood snare to get the highs through the system. Usually my wood snares live have the bottom head cranked quite tight.

User Info Menu

too much resonance....impossible people always feel that way about my drums when they play em by themselves, but feel differently when they hear em out front with a band.

User Info Menu

Opposite can be said as well for a metal snare. My 402 when miced has a tendency to sound more ringy than I would like when micked. If you have ever struck a basketball with a drum stick and noticed the sound it makes, it is what my snare sounds like sometimes without gating to limit the signal. I have noticed it more at a particular theater that I play at regularly, but it is annoying none the less.

User Info Menu

Hey I play a wood snare and I love the warmth especially when we play outside. Metal though has a great crack to it, I love that to. Just get one of each!! haha Anybody here ever try one of those carbon fiber snares?

User Info Menu

Carbon fiber is very loud and bright, I have fooled around on one and that was my impression.

User Info Menu

pretty much what I thought. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Metal vs. Wood Snare

Quote Originally Posted by BWard08 View Post
    Hey I play a wood snare and I love the warmth especially when we play outside. Metal though has a great crack to it, I love that to. Just get one of each!! haha Anybody here ever try one of those carbon fiber snares?
    i havnt played the all carbon fiber shells, but have played pearl masterworks carbon ply drums. they are a maple shell with inner and outer carbon fiber plies. they have a ton of attack and projection. if i still played metal seriously i would prolly buy them.

User Info Menu

i like a pretty dark tone so i stick with a basswood snare and 20 strand snare wire

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    A good index / general rule of thumb might be "how heavy the guitar distortion is in a song".....

For example, country music / bluegrass / folk = wood snare.

Hard Rock = metal snare.

Metal = Metal Snare

after all the nuances of the maple get lost in distortion.

I almost always prefer a maple snare drum unless of course it isn't cutting through the mix. Although I am very interested in the Noble & Cooley Alloy Snare. I haven't heard it yet but really want to give one a try. The metal snares I use now are a Vintage Ludwig Supraphonic, a vintage Ludwig NOB snare and a Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlain Signature snare.
    Metal = REFERENCE Maple/Birch Snare! :D this is still acceptable IMO.. :D

User Info Menu

Well for me it depends,sometimes i use a Gretsch 10 ply maple imho this is a great sounding snare lovely overtones and very resonant that baby sings.Other times i will switch between a World Max brass 14"x6.5 which i have the snare chain quite slack and this gives it a dirty sound or my DW Edge 12"x7" and it is one loud snare cuts through anything thrown at it.Bands that i fill the drum stool with comment that it's the loudest snare that they have ever heard..And today my 14"x5" RCI Acrylic snare arrived so i'm going to use it tonight..Review and pics will be up tomorrow evening..!!
    So really it's good to have a choice of a few different snares that you like and to suit the gig you are playing
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

i have a pearl free floating maple shell snare, its proaabably louder than most metal snares
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

what about metal snares for a side snare so can have good soft strokes with a wood main?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

dave0549jv Guest

i've only ever owned a metal snare. it's a pearl steel snare that sounds great with an evans power center batter. it's got a great, loud, metallic crack to it. i really like it a lot, but ive been thinking about picking up a wooden snare. something warmer and mellower. not sure what yet, i've gotta get out and try some.

any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    i've only ever owned a metal snare. it's a pearl steel snare that sounds great with an evans power center batter. it's got a great, loud, metallic crack to it. i really like it a lot, but ive been thinking about picking up a wooden snare. something warmer and mellower. not sure what yet, i've gotta get out and try some.

any suggestions?
    Try as many as you can Dave and try different depths..I like deep snares 6.5"/7 but i have a 5" also..its a matter of affordability and personal choice..
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

didnt pearl make one with a crazy depth of like 3.4 or something. mike mancino or mancini's(i forgot the name)
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I vote for aluminum. It's kinda got the best attributes that meal and wood have all in one.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

I have an assortment of birch, maple, steel.etc. I discovered a few years ago that there are actually three distinct types of snares:
    1. Wood snares
    2. Metal snares
    3. Ludwig Black Beauty snares

yes, it's true.. once you go black (as in black nickel over brass)... you can never go back.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Chrome over brass or brass snares have a warmth to them that steel and aluminium snares don't quite have.

Then again, I love playing my highly cranked wood piccolo too, lol. The trick is to find the right snare for the right kit and the right song. I admire guys that can just do that so well.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Chrome over brass or brass snares have a warmth to them that steel and aluminium snares don't quite have.

Then again, I love playing my highly cranked wood piccolo too, lol. The trick is to find the right snare for the right kit and the right song. I admire guys that can just do that so well.

So true.. I love them all.... but those plated brass snares, especially the Luddies... in a class of their own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by davewilson View Post
    So true.. I love them all.... but those plated brass snares, especially the Luddies... in a class of their own.
    Wholeheartedly agrees.....I'm a Ludwig nut too.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I would love to have a black beauty someday!.....it's only a matter of time.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Deedubs! View Post
    I would love to have a black beauty someday!.....it's only a matter of time.
    An old keystone at that!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

a classic design that has endured for over 70 years...

User Info Menu

thread revival..

again ...seriously