Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal vs. Wood Snare

User Info Menu

Default Metal vs. Wood Snare

What is the difference between metal and wood snare? I mean i know that metal ones sound more high pitched and resonanty, but what is the quality in it that makes people want to have it in a snare drum? Why the metal snare drum and not the entire metal kit? Give me your thoughts and opinions....btw 500 posts!!!
    Last edited by coke_can; 01-05-2008 at 11:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the big 5 double 0 !

There are probably many reasons for not making a metal kit. I cant say I know all of them, but I would guess that it would sound too "ringy" and high pitched.

When I was a kid I only played metal snare drums... becuase I wanted a really high pitch, lots of volume, and most of my favorite rock and metal players had them.

Over time, I began to appreciate the beautiful tones of a nice wood snare. (My preference is for maple)

I still like some metal snares... and have a couple... but wood to me, just sounds much more like a natural drum sound.

I guess Im saying that is more a sound preference than aything else.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

metal snares have a lot of ring and a lot of cut
    wood snares are more rounded
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I didnt like steel snares at first now i have started growing attached to them. DC just got a steel snare i think? The tama is isnt it DC?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Steel Snares cranked up so hard it hurts sound so beautiful I have tears of joy. Why wouldn't you make kits out of steel? Because most people who use steel snares are metal players who want their kit tuned as low as possible, and you can't tune steel that low, ever. Steel is the highest pitched thing that drums are made out of, just for reference mahogany is the lowest.

User Info Menu

I have seen metal sets. Years ago Ludwig made a stainless steel set. They were quite heavy (weight) and quite loud too. Carl Palmer of Emerson, Lake and Palmer played a set of metal drums also. May have been brass or something...not sure!

all the best...

User Info Menu

And Bonham used one. Oh and Trick Drums make steel drums: http://www.trickdrums.com/index.html .

User Info Menu

A good index / general rule of thumb might be "how heavy the guitar distortion is in a song".....

For example, country music / bluegrass / folk = wood snare.

Hard Rock = metal snare.

Metal = Metal Snare

after all the nuances of the maple get lost in distortion.

I almost always prefer a maple snare drum unless of course it isn't cutting through the mix. Although I am very interested in the Noble & Cooley Alloy Snare. I haven't heard it yet but really want to give one a try. The metal snares I use now are a Vintage Ludwig Supraphonic, a vintage Ludwig NOB snare and a Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlain Signature snare.
    Last edited by koopa; 01-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Default wood snares are my preference

I personally like wood snares better. They sound more...real. I like the depth and warmth they generally have and they just have that nice woody tone. In my opinion they just sound more natural around a drum set. Metal snares are often very good, but it just depends on the person and their kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    A good index / general rule of thumb might be "how heavy the guitar distortion is in a song".....

Hard Rock = metal snare.

Metal = Metal Snare

I almost always prefer a maple snare drum unless of course it isn't cutting through the mix. Although I am very interested in the Noble & Cooley Alloy Snare. I haven't heard it yet but really want to give one a try. The metal snares I use now are a Vintage Ludwig Supraphonic, a vintage Ludwig NOB snare and a Yamaha Jimmy Chamberlain Signature snare.
    Vintage Ludwig 14x6.5 Supraphonic is one of the best snares in the world, it has been the best in the market for more than 4 decades.

User Info Menu

Hard Rock = metal snare.

Metal = Metal Snare

after all the nuances of the maple get lost in distortion.
    That sound acceptable for me...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Metal snare = brighter more crack. loud
    Wood snare = deeper, throatier, warmer sound not as much in your face crack

Of course there is always exceptions to the rules

User Info Menu

Some good replys so far , I have been considering buying myself a new snare also .

User Info Menu

I like the tone of wood, but the volume of metal. I use a wood snare for recording and a brass snare for live performance.

User Info Menu

thanks for all the replys guys

User Info Menu

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Bubinga Snares and how they differ from Maple?
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

never heard of them

I love the rimshot sounds you can get off wood snares with wood rings.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool

You Want Loud....Ludwig Stainless Steel Kit(can Control The Ring Wif That Foam Adhesive That Goes Around Doors)Carl Palmer Had Acustom Made STAINLESS Kit He Said Weighed About 5000 Lbs....I've Seen Pics Of A Paiste 2002 Kit That Was Custom Made For Him....and I Concur That The Jeff Ochletree "spirit Of 2002" Snare Is One Of The Heaviest And Loudest Drums I Have Ever Heard In My Life
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

carl palmer also has one of the rare paiste/ocheltree spirit of 2002 kits, like danny carrey"s.

there are a few misconceptions in this thread imo, i own several snares of dif. material and sizes, some are wood and dont really fit with typical descriptions and vise versa with metal. for instance my tama g-maple is higher pitched and more penetrating than my pearl brass sensitone of the same size.

thickness and bearing edges can have more effect on a drums sound than material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with Bubinga Snares and how they differ from Maple?
    Yom, I've played a Bubinga snare at my local store, and it is a little brighter than maple. Frankly I was a bit surprised by that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Here is an audio clip of a very raw basic track that I recorded a few weeks ago with my band. Its just drums, bass, rythymn guitar, and keyboards. We all played this at the same time in the same room. Next step is to overdub some leads / vocals / extras / then polish everything. Remember its a raw mix but I hope you enjoy!

01 - Saggy Chest.mp3

equipment used: pearl mmx 6 piece (including mmx maple snare), zildjian a custom mastersound hihats, paiste sound formula reflector 15" and 16" crashes, paiste signature 20" power ride, sabian 10" b8pro splash, zildjian 12" A splash, zildjian 8" K splash, rhythymn tech cowbell

04 - Unemployment Line.mp3

equipment used: pearl mmx 5 piece, jimmy chamberlain signature yamaha metal snare (you can just hear that extra metal twange when compared to the first track), zildjian a custom mastersound hihats, paiste sound formula reflector 15" and 16" crashes, paiste signature 20" power ride, sabian 10" b8pro splash, zildjian 12" A splash, zildjian 8" K splash, rhythymn tech cowbell
    Last edited by koopa; 01-30-2008 at 09:14 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Yom, I've played a Bubinga snare at my local store, and it is a little brighter than maple. Frankly I was a bit surprised by that!
    That is quite surprising! I've been led to believe they have more low end and are warmer than Maple.

I think I'm going to see if my favourite shop can bring in a Bubinga and a Maple snare especially and let me choose between them. They'll still be left with an awesome snare to sell to someone else.

Its difficult when you live miles from a decent drum store. Hehe
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Yeah like when the nearest music Store is in a different country!...LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Wood vs metal...that's a good question. For over 40 years, I've played the Ludwig Supraphonic 400 snare 5 1/2 x 14. I play with a big band and felt that the metal Ludwig was a bit to high sounding. I put on a hearvier natter head and that helped but, I still wasn't convinced. A few years ago, I bought an early 1960's maple slingerland in the same size. There is a definite difference in the sound. I finally got the "Woody" sound that I was after. A few months ago, I bought some Moon Gel. I am now back to using my Supraphonic with moon gel. I used it last week on a gig with my big band and I liked it. Is there an answer? Who knows, other than what music you play will always dictate the sound you will want.

User Info Menu

Default Metal vs. Wood Snare

OLa como estas CC *ARTIST DRUMMER *I use Both
    My Bronz Black Panther HAs A very Hot* Sound ,Extremxxxx FaST Action
    its Great For Alot Of My Progressive Rock/Fussion Sound ,But I Also Love
    my black Panther Maple Its So Warm They are Both Very HOT & smooth
    for every thing All STYLES of Music *What-ever works For the ARTIST
    IS FANTASTIC**