Thread: books

User Info Menu

Default books

what is the best book to use if you 're play traditional and you want to work on speed and your left hand????

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter which grip you use Scottie, the drum books will work for everyone. That said, you don't need a drum book to work on speed. Just practice things over and over and the speed will come naturally.

User Info Menu

No such thing as a book that will help your speed

But, their are tricks, for example start with 8 on a hand, then work your rudiments, youll pick up the techinique working rudiments, fast and slow, even backwards

Then when your all done, run things like fast notes, like as long as you can, as fast as you can setuplets, or something, that builds your chops

A book i have though, with the rudiments to work on, i just got for christmas actually,

"lifes little book of rudiments" by row loff productions

User Info Menu

may i suggest a dvd?
    jojo mayer made an instructional dvd that is the best set of lessons i have ever seen
    and the best thing is
    all the drills work for trad. and matched grip

its called secret weapons for the modern drummer

pick that up and you wont feel like you need to read again
    however i do feel that you may need a practice pad and stick in your hand while you watch this movie because its all demonstrational

User Info Menu

One name.....Jim Chapin, advanced techniques for the modern drummer its an oldy but a goodie.
    also practice left hand lead,[ if you are a righty] you may want to up your stick size too, if you presently use 5A I suggest 2B when practising. You wont believe the bounce when you switch back to the 5A's when you play the kit. Also look up you tube vids with jojo and weckle and chapin on the moeller technique. good luck.

User Info Menu

Rat- If hes here in marching he needs to go up higher then that, he needs to get up to something big fat and heavy, i suggest the hardimons, their the heaviest/biggest stick vic firth makes, and if you can get stuff down on those, and you find out your line switches to something like the scott johnson or jeff queen stick which arnt as big, then youll have extra speed

User Info Menu

Ted Reed's "Syncopation" is a pretty good book that can help make your strokes and wrists feel more comfortable on a snare/drum.

Of course you'd need to know how to read the notes..

But it could be worth checking out.
    "If Diamonds are a girls best friend, Then Pearls are a drummers best friend! -AC"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    Rat- If hes here in marching he needs to go up higher then that, he needs to get up to something big fat and heavy, i suggest the hardimons, their the heaviest/biggest stick vic firth makes, and if you can get stuff down on those, and you find out your line switches to something like the scott johnson or jeff queen stick which arnt as big, then youll have extra speed
    sry Im new here, I didnt realize I was in a Marching thread!! how can you tell when you click on the thread? also I cant use the chat?plz help. I am an old goof with not much computer savvy... computers hate me for some reason.

User Info Menu

hah, well, you see the diffrernt classes, that you click on, like off topic, general drum talk, ect, thats how you know what class your in,

And the chat, its simple, theires a line about it that you type into

User Info Menu

hah, well, you see the diffrernt classes, that you click on, like off topic, general drum talk, ect, thats how you know what class your in,

And the chat, its simple, theires a line about it that you type into
    the shout box thing , I type in the line but it never shows in the conversation underneath!!

User Info Menu

give it some time, it may just be lag, mine does it a lot, i like to just refresh the screen

User Info Menu

Default Re: books

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    may i suggest a dvd?
    jojo mayer made an instructional dvd that is the best set of lessons i have ever seen
    and the best thing is
    all the drills work for trad. and matched grip

its called secret weapons for the modern drummer

pick that up and you wont feel like you need to read again
    however i do feel that you may need a practice pad and stick in your hand while you watch this movie because its all demonstrational
    best instructional DVD ever...

User Info Menu

I would suggest Rudimental Logic. That book is what helped me all throughout the early part of high school and all through middle school. It may not directly help the speed that I developed but it definitely helped my technique and stick heights, which eventually led to the speed. But one thing you need to keep in consideration is that it is not how fast you can play it, its how slow you can take it.
    Think about it.
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

The drummers bible > "Stick Control"
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
    Ted Reed's "Syncopation" is a pretty good book that can help make your strokes and wrists feel more comfortable on a snare/drum.

Of course you'd need to know how to read the notes..

But it could be worth checking out.

I've used Ted Reed's SYNCOPATION since the early 1960's and still have a copy close by to my kit. I was taught to practice each lesson with a recording...big band, jazz etc. This forced me to concentrate on keeping TIME. Playing straight eights and sixteenths against a Swing feel drove me crazy BUT, it did teach me how to keep a steady tempo. I used this process up to an including all of the Accented eights and triplet exercises. When I was able to demonstrate the ability to play the exercises with any recorded tempo, I was then taught to sing the Syncopated exercises out loud, like a Scat singer. Those were lessons never lost and is the reason why I can sit in with just about any big band or ensemble and sight read whatever is put forth. As noted in the above Quote...this assumes that you already know how to read music.

User Info Menu

^ Pretty cool. I'll look into it myself. I could use a new source of help.
    Respect.
    Like.
    Love.
    ...and Drum!

User Info Menu

There are plenty of excellent books to be used as resource material. Another book I keep with me is Mel Bays The Drummers' Cookbook...invaluable for rock drumming and funk drumming exercises. For those of you who would enjoy getting really serious with hand/feet interdependency, check out www.nicksdrumstudio.com for samples from his book Exotic Stick control (not sure of correct title, although I have the test copy). Nick's book was reviewed in Modern Drummer this past year and it will be quite a test for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

I've used Ted Reed's SYNCOPATION since the early 1960's and still have a copy close by to my kit. I was taught to practice each lesson with a recording...big band, jazz etc. This forced me to concentrate on keeping TIME. Playing straight eights and sixteenths against a Swing feel drove me crazy BUT, it did teach me how to keep a steady tempo. I used this process up to an including all of the Accented eights and triplet exercises. When I was able to demonstrate the ability to play the exercises with any recorded tempo, I was then taught to sing the Syncopated exercises out loud, like a Scat singer. Those were lessons never lost and is the reason why I can sit in with just about any big band or ensemble and sight read whatever is put forth. As noted in the above Quote...this assumes that you already know how to read music.
    HOLA COMO ESTS FIACOVAZ *FRANK*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) TED REEDS SYNCOPATION IS A VERY HOT BOOK*
    I LOVE the ARTISTRY THAT A CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST CAN
    GAIN within THE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS FINE BOOK*EXCELLENT*BOOK*& the SAME WITH JIM CHAPINS ADVANCED TECHNIQUES For the MODERN JAZZ DRUMMER**ALL GREAT KNOWLEDGE **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

i have to disagree with you, the heaviest marchable snare stick is definitely the scott johnson sticks,its nice and beefy........but to answer the original question......if you wanna work on speed play 8 on a hand at various tempos and be sure to maintain good technique at higher tempos,push yourself when you get tired,it will only make you stronger.
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]