Thread: The Best Way To Know Where Your Drum Go

User Info Menu

Default The Best Way To Know Where Your Drum Go

I've figured out a nice way to figure where your drums feel best. Some people say air drumming, and my idea isn't to far from that.

First you set up your stool and your bass drum, put your pedal on your bass drum. If this feels fine move on to the next part.

Set up the hi-hat stand where you feel you can hit it nicely, set it up at a height where you can play at high tempos ON TOP of it, not hitting with he edge of your stick.

Next the snare, most of you will know where you feel nice playing your snare, but for me as a lefty and open hander I have to set it at a height where I can play blast beats open and cross handed because I play the bass drum on my right hand when I play blast beats and it sounds inverted if I play open handed blast beats on the hi-hat which is useful sometimes.

Then the ride, how I did this was, by using a friends rack and seeing if it helped, and then a boom stand and then a straight stand, I got the cymbal as close to the bass drum as possible, it was over the bass drum a few times as well. Set this up at a height where it's not impossible to crash it even if you never will, but at the same time make it low enough to freely ride on. If the ride is to high to ride on, then angle it, you will still be able to crash it.

The floor tom, set this up where comfortable, but make it at a height where you can easily go from the snare to it without moving your arms lower or higher.

For the rack toms I also borrowed my friends rack, I used it to see where I liked my rack toms, I found out that the Micky mouse position is extremely good for the toms, they will feel in front of you and a lot more easy to access than if they were on your bass drum, now if you have three toms or more then make the two smallest toms in the Micky mouse position and just go down. Make things work, don't have the toms touching the hi-hat as sometimes I've had this problem. And this can really be a problem if you have three or more rack toms and you have your hi-hat close and easy to access. If this happens, you will have to make a sacrifice and move the high-hat to the left more until there is a little space between it and the toms.

All other cymbals: One thing I've discovered over my years of drumming is that everyone has their cymbal set up a little different, some a lot. I can give you no tips on this except "IF U HAV A CRSH IT GOS ON TEH LEFT SIDE". And you will have to make sacrifices, my toms are a little far over to the left and my crash is inches from touching my hi-hat rod, I learnt to live with it, you might as well.
    Last edited by Roger; 01-07-2008 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Yeah I pretty much do it in a similar fashion. Bass drum dictates where pedal goes. Pedal dictates where throne goes. Snare to the left of pedal and floor tom to the right of pedal. Hihat to the left of snare then fill in the toms and add cymbals. The most important thing for me is to put the drums in position based on my arm length and height. Find the sweet spot where your reach tends to position your hands while going around the kit in a half circle from left to right. I found myself having to change the position of a few drums and cymbals when I switched from matched grip to traditional grip because that skews where the sweet spots are when doing a sweep across the kit.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

thats good advise. always get the parts you will keep time on and spend the most time on perfect first. i was saying in another post about geting the foundatin of your config down and go from there.

User Info Menu

I have never given it that much thought. I just set them up where they are comfortable and use the memory locks and set them up the same way each time. I haven't changed my kit set up in a year or more maybe longer.

User Info Menu

That a bright advice....

Thanks for sharing with us Roger....
    You such a kind guy....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Nice info Roger!

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    Yeah I pretty much do it in a similar fashion. Bass drum dictates where pedal goes. Pedal dictates where throne goes. Snare to the left of pedal and floor tom to the right of pedal. Hihat to the left of snare then fill in the toms and add cymbals. The most important thing for me is to put the drums in position based on my arm length and height. Find the sweet spot where your reach tends to position your hands while going around the kit in a half circle from left to right. I found myself having to change the position of a few drums and cymbals when I switched from matched grip to traditional grip because that skews where the sweet spots are when doing a sweep across the kit.
    I think koopa has a good consice summary and i TOTALLY agree cuz i do it exactly the same way!!!