Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: splash cymbals

User Info Menu

Default splash cymbals

I am thinking of getting a new splash pretty soon. I had a Zildian ZBT cymbal, but it cracked and is now unusable. It no longer cuts through anything so yeah. I play in a progressive/hardcore/thrash band and I was wondering on which splash I should get. What kind of splash do you like? What would you suggest? Opinions would be VERY much appreciated! Thanks!

User Info Menu

I have a 10" Zildjian A extra thin splash. I highly suggest it to anyone. I bet the A Custom would cut a lot better though.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

for that type of music I'd give a listen to some sabian b8 pro, aax, and hhx splashes. i've been extremely surprised by how much I like b8 pro splashes. Its the only type of cymbal I use from that line and I find they compliment my paiste crashes.

krysha good call on the zildjian A...i've got a 12" splash that I swear by. Its got a quick decay, is considerably dark sounding, but is very prominent when hit.
    Last edited by koopa; 01-06-2008 at 04:30 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

My best friend got an A Custom for Christmas which sounds great. I would recommend get it.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

I got a Wuhan 12" splash that I really like. It gives a real nice splashy sound. I'd like to get a 10", or 8" too. Maybe even both, since the price is right.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i like the k dark splash and the a costom splash
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

awesome guys! i will try out all of the suggested splashes when i am shopping around. i have never tried most of them, so yeah. thanks!!
    The best things in life involve drums. Drums drums and more drums. oh yeah.

User Info Menu

10 inch alpha series paiste metal splash
    thing is awesome =]

User Info Menu

The Paiste Twenty series splash has the most sustain and warmth of any splash I've ever heard, if you're interested in that.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Splashes are thin cymbals, and so I distance myself from them, as I've broken three top quality splashes in the last year (2007). I either hit to hard or it's the fact I use Thomas Lang sticks lol.

User Info Menu

Wuhan sounds good for me....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

hmm... I have never really tried a paiste. mostly i stick to sabian, but i will be very much willing to try a paiste

User Info Menu

I am asking myself if you are playing in a hardcore /progressive thrash band, what good does a splash cymbal do for you? It would seem unless everything is miced pretty carefully it would get lost in the amplification anyway. I have a zildjian K 10' that sounds really good. but I only use it in suttle situations that need a slight accent and I can hit it by itself with no one else playing. other wise you can't hear it anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I am asking myself if you are playing in a hardcore /progressive thrash band, what good does a splash cymbal do for you? It would seem unless everything is miced pretty carefully it would get lost in the amplification anyway. I have a zildjian K 10' that sounds really good. but I only use it in suttle situations that need a slight accent and I can hit it by itself with no one else playing. other wise you can't hear it anyway.
    i would be employing certain accenting techniques on it during fills and stuff. some day i will have three splashes of different sizes and tones. im not much of a pounder, so it should cut through if i use it right

User Info Menu

el josho, where is west point utah exatly. My sister lives in Sandy out side of Salt Lake. Where are you in relation to that? Just curious.

User Info Menu

el josho, where is west point utah exatly. My sister lives in Sandy out side of Salt Lake. Where are you in relation to that? Just curious.
    sandys about an hour away from west point. south i think but i could be wrong i suck at directions
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

So are you closer to say ST George or Ceder City?

User Info Menu

i like the hhx evo splashes i have, but they may be a little dark and quiet for heavy music. i bet the aaxplosion splashes would work well. i would say 12" 10" and 8 would be a good set...if they make a 12" in that series.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el_josho_drummer View Post
    hmm... I have never really tried a paiste. mostly i stick to sabian, but i will be very much willing to try a paiste
    all of my cymbals are sabian with the exception of my zil-bel and that splash
    im in the same boat bud haha

User Info Menu

Splashes are fun cymblas to play in the right situations. But i think of them as more gimiky than anything else really. Kind of wimsicle (SP) I guess, I have never found the perfect place for one but have had fun accenting differant little parts with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i like the hhx evo splashes i have, but they may be a little dark and quiet for heavy music. i bet the aaxplosion splashes would work well. i would say 12" 10" and 8 would be a good set...if they make a 12" in that series.
    Doesn't Mike Portnoy use HHX splashes? I think his sound awesome.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

it is pretty close to Clearfield and Layton. it is about half an hour north from salt lake so i am not too far away

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i have tried the hhx evo crash once. i really like their sound, but it is like you said. they are dark and quiet. i would assume the splash is the same. and those cymbals are very delicate. but i am definitly leaning on the aaxplosion splashes. i have the crash and it is wonderful.

User Info Menu

Splashes are fun cymblas to play in the right situations. But i think of them as more gimiky than anything else really. Kind of wimsicle (SP) I guess, I have never found the perfect place for one but have had fun accenting differant little parts with them.
    Not sure how one can fail to find a place for a splash? No disrespect intended, I'm just taken back by that comment. At the very least, hit one in the same place that you'd hit a crash cymbal but during the more quiet parts of a song.....

Perhaps give "Alice in Chains Unplugged" a listen for good splash work
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Sure there are places to play a splash, but I have only heard a couple of times where I thought a splash was perfect for the part. Sure you can hit one where you would a crash only in a quiter setting. But does it make anymore impact than a crash hit softer, I don't know. That is my point, I am just trying to think in all of my music experience is there a time I longed to have a splash to accent a part and didn't have one at the time. Or now that I have one do I look for places to play it because I have it. Would I miss it if I didn't have it probably not. That is all I am saying.....