Thread: jazz cymbal set up

User Info Menu

Cool jazz cymbal set up

please could someone advice on a symbal set up for a begining jazz drummer.What are the best symbals to use ??

User Info Menu

i hear there exists some flat ones that are good for jazz...also try just doing a search on google for jazz cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: jazz cymbal set up

K customs, Ks, HH,HHX-good jazz cymbals, they can also be used for rock and metal.

User Info Menu

had a buddy of mine use a 19 a custom projection crash as his jazz ride...he swore by it....really brilliant.....k custom session crashes are really nice for jazz...engineered by the grand fromage steve gadd himself....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

What is your budget? There are a lot of options. Zildian K, Sabian HH, Paiste Traditional, Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis signature, these Options are a little on the Pricey side. If your budget is limited I've heard good things about the Dream Bliss line. These are Chinese made cymbals, but they are hand made, hand hammered, and the reviews I've read are good, but I haven't gotten my hands on a set yet. The Dream website does have some sound samples, but you really can't go by that. I've just bought an Istanbul Dark Crash that sounds great for Jazz, and I'm in the process of buying a set of Istanbul 13" Mel Lewis Hi-hats.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

For a beginner, there is no choosing a specific type of cymbal that will fit in better with an explicit genre of music.

However Zildjian does have Pro and Rock line of all their sheet metal cymbals.

EDIT: Read it wrong, though my original comment stands, jazz cymbals are extremely expensive because most of them are hand hammered at some stage of thier life. But it's worth checking out independant cymbal makers like Dream, Istanbul etc.
    Last edited by Roger; 06-16-2008 at 07:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Its such a personal choice when adding cymbals to your vocal expression in any genre of music, especially jazz, buddy, I would advise that you stick with name brands as previously mentioned and just visit a few stores with large selections in price and makers, then make your choice based on what sounds you like and your budget. I play traditional and some fusion and I have sabian, paiste and zildian!! the sizes are 8" splash , 12"splash/crash,15' crash, 16" crash and 20" ride. for hats I have formula 602 sound edage and I sometimes relace the top hat with a crash , depends on the gig. good luck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    What is your budget? There are a lot of options. Zildian K, Sabian HH, Paiste Traditional, Istanbul Agop Mel Lewis signature, these Options are a little on the Pricey side. If your budget is limited I've heard good things about the Dream Bliss line. These are Chinese made cymbals, but they are hand made, hand hammered, and the reviews I've read are good, but I haven't gotten my hands on a set yet. The Dream website does have some sound samples, but you really can't go by that. I've just bought an Istanbul Dark Crash that sounds great for Jazz, and I'm in the process of buying a set of Istanbul 13" Mel Lewis Hi-hats.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS CHURCH DRUMMER *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) **EXCELLENT INFO (KNOWLEDGE ) AND DREAM CymBals *****
    ARE RED HOT ****Same with TRXCYMBALS HAND MADE & HAMMERED Over
    their IN TURKEY ISTANBUL *AND ISTANBULS ARE RED HOT I use them ,AND also BOSPHORUS CYMBALS **What ever works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST is All GREAT within their own Unique (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) within And of their JOURNEYS **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Jazz is really all about using your own feel, and doing your own thing

But from what ive seen, The typical setup seems to be a 4 piece, 14 or 13 inch hats, 15 inch crash, and a 20 inch ride, usually in the K/Kcustom series

A rule of thumb for jazz to think about is, Less = more

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post

But from what ive seen, The typical setup seems to be a 4 piece, 14 or 13 inch hats, 15 inch crash, and a 20 inch ride, usually in the K/Kcustom series

i thought jazz drummers usesd an 18" crash

User Info Menu

osted by Ch33zz

i thought jazz drummers usesd an 18" crash

I use an Avedjis Zildjian 18" full crash and a 16" K Dark Crash med. thin with the big band I play with. When I play with a smaller group, I omit the 18"...to much for a lighter sound. Also, when I play with the smaller group, I leave the 21" Mel lewis ride and use my K Constinople 20" ride...it's much sweeter for smaller venues.

User Info Menu

It's a real personal thing. But if I were to do one for myself:
    All Zildjian K's. 14" light hi hats, 17" thin crash, 18" thin crash(maybe a 18" crash/ride instead) and 22" ride
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater