Thread: What is your first real gig?

User Info Menu

Default What is your first real gig?

Hmm??? What is it? I will tell you mine...

It all started in November of 2007. My band and I went to a club called Mojos in Ogden, Utah to talk to some friends of ours who play in a band, Raze. They frequently gig at the place so we thought we should set a show up with them. Long story short, we got the gig.

December 6th was the day of the gig. It was quite amazing! We went on the really small stage and rocked the house! We had around 80 people that night rockin out to the music, so I was well pleased. Not bad for a thursday at a little down-town local music venue eh?

--Josh
    The best things in life involve drums. Drums drums and more drums. oh yeah.

User Info Menu

My first gig was for a showcase sort of thing at my church. My friend (guitarist) and I had to go last and everyone was AWFUL up until the people before us. They were our age and they were brothers. The guitarist had been playing for about 6 years and the drummer 4. It was hard to follow them, but we were told that they were too sloppy and we did better. But yeah it was fun and was good experience for me, only playing 8 months then. Oh yeah and we played Carry On by Kansas.

User Info Menu

Cool What is your first real gig?

And today's your one-month anniversary of that gig, el josho!

And the first of many, I hope! Congratulations, bro'!

My first gig came after several years of lessons--the son of my drum teacher invited me to sit in on percussion at one of his outdoor summer big band concerts. While "rockin' the house" isn't the right term, it was a big hit with both the big band and with his audiences! That was over a decade ago...and I still do a "Latin Night" concert with his band every year...which has been --and still is--one of the more popular concerts he has each summer.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    And today's your one-month anniversary of that gig, el josho!

And the first of many, I hope! Congratulations, bro'!

My first gig came after several years of lessons--the son of my drum teacher invited me to sit in on percussion at one of his outdoor summer big band concerts. While "rockin' the house" isn't the right term, it was a big hit with both the big band and with his audiences! That was over a decade ago...and I still do a "Latin Night" concert with his band every year...which has been --and still is--one of the more popular concerts he has each summer.
    thanks man! that sounds like a lot of fun. i have never tried hand drumming.
    The best things in life involve drums. Drums drums and more drums. oh yeah.

User Info Menu

it was at clearfield highs battle of the bands last year almost a year ago actualy and i had a toy drum set one of those first act ones you can get at walmart. and we were imformed a week in advance we were gonna play the show and no one had proper equipment, our gituarist broke his gituar just before the show and it ended up being me and my buddy on bass just jammen our little harts out and we ended up brakeing all of our equipment by playing to franticly but aperently it sounded pritty darn good
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

3-4 years ago, high school rock band or something, played a few songs at the mid year concert. I always liked my school, we had three drum kits, a vintage Ludwig, a Pearl Sessions and a Pearl Masters. We had imo one of the best snares in the world a vintage Ludwig 14x6.5 Supraphonic snare that came with the kit, and a speed king pedal, I've thought about contacting my high school so many times and just buying that kit.

User Info Menu

My first gig...
    Actually I played as vocalist not a drummer ^^...

Good gig....I still remember....My band get a nice feedback....
    I jump scream....
    And after the show I have a bad throatache...that make me quit became a frontman...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Muddy Waters Bar in Beeton, Ontario November 2006. Represent!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    it was at clearfield highs battle of the bands last year almost a year ago actualy and i had a toy drum set one of those first act ones you can get at walmart. and we were imformed a week in advance we were gonna play the show and no one had proper equipment, our gituarist broke his gituar just before the show and it ended up being me and my buddy on bass just jammen our little harts out and we ended up brakeing all of our equipment by playing to franticly but aperently it sounded pritty darn good
    Channeling the Who, eh?

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Channeling the Who, eh?
    that actualy earned me the nickname little keaith for a bit
    and is there anyone better to channel in that situation?
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

lol i forgot bout mine

it was at a guitar lesson concert

my friends dad teaches guitar and at the end of the year they play for their parents

i was 13, we played wipe out ..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    My first gig...
    Actually I played as vocalist not a drummer ^^...

Good gig....I still remember....My band get a nice feedback....
    I jump scream....
    And after the show I have a bad throatache...that make me quit became a frontman...
    sad... but can you sing when you play drums too? I personally have lots of respect for drumers who do that. I can sing while playing drums but i get lost in the singing easily... and i dont get the note right thats why i dont do it

back to topic, I would say a concert in local evangelic church.

First gigs, if everything goes right, are always good memories...

User Info Menu

I think I was 11...maybe 12 when I played my first 'gig'. I wouldn't consider it a gig. But it was at my sisters churches singles group. They needed a drummer and my sister said I would do it. So there I am playing 10 songs in front of a hundred people that are between 20 and 45 years old. But it was quite fun.

I continued to play there for a while until my own church needed a drummer. Now I'm playing in front of 400-600 people on a regular basis. I'm still not even 15...
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

sad... but can you sing when you play drums too?
    Yep ...And I still doin' it when I'm on gig till now....

But when I sing and play drums at the same time, I easily lost my tempo...That's big problem for me and my band....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

My first gig was at school infront of 500 people..... playing guitar. We played one song lol.

Everyone after that is kinda blurred.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

my first one was in a small bar on my island when i was 15 years old.
    we played for more than 2 hours and i remember that everyone was very surprised of my band and very drunk too (maybe thats why)
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

Hey Lucas Taylor...You mean there is actually a bar in Beeton, Ontario? LOL I've played in Alliston, Ontario a couple of times.
    This is a real head scratcher...but I think my first ever time playing in front of a real crowd, (not a small clutch of family or friends), was in one of those school concert things in elementary school. I was prbably about 12 at the time. We played "I'm not your Stepping Stone" by the Monkees and "House of the Rising Sun". I don't think we even had a singer, but we had Silvertone guitars amps that kept conking out. LoL I remember buddy kicking it with his foot to get it to go. For a short fleeting moment, I thought I was in The Who.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by circask8r689 View Post
    lol i forgot bout mine

it was at a guitar lesson concert

my friends dad teaches guitar and at the end of the year they play for their parents

i was 13, we played wipe out ..
    Bet you've been playin' it ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    My first gig was at school infront of 500 people..... playing guitar. We played one song lol.

Everyone after that is kinda blurred.
    Guitar playin' can do that to ya, mate--that's why you switched to drums, I'll bet!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Well I have three levels of my first "real" gig.
    The first one in front of people was in church at age 11. Of course a church band is different that a regular band.
    The second real gig was at a party playing covers (I was 16). A cover band is another type of gig. My first real gig as in pay would be in a signed band at age 21 in front of a few thousand. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    my first ever time playing in front of a real crowd, (not a small clutch of family or friends), was in one of those school concert things in elementary school. I was prbably about 12 at the time.
    you were 12 in elementary school?!??!?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    you were 12 in elementary school?!??!?!
    My first job was a talent show at my high school in about 1965. Of all the talent there were only two bands. We played two Beach Boys songs and the other band played two instrumentals. They played quite well but we got second and they got third place. One of the judges told me the reason we got second over them was we sang showing more talent in our selections than the other band. Who won first, don’t remember????

Oh yea my elementary school ran grades 1 through 7 so being 12 was normal.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums