Thread: dents on the toms

User Info Menu

Default dents on the toms

well ive just got my drums set and i havent really got to play that much but for some reason i have these dents on my first and second tom tom

what am i doing wrong?

User Info Menu

How are the heads tuned? For instance, are they really loose for that low, fat sound? If they are too loose, it might lead to dents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Stick tip shape also play a roll in it. There are certain sticks I won't use because they dent my heads. Excessive Tom angle also plays a roll in denting heads.

User Info Menu

well its brand new so it should be tuned, right?

User Info Menu

hmm what kind of tips dent?

User Info Menu

Sticks that have really rounded tips will dent more so than tear drop shaped tips. Also the heads that came with the kit are usally single ply heads and are not really high quality at that, and they will not take much abuse before they dent..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by circask8r689 View Post
    if it is new drums were they preassembled are did you have to assemble them if they were preassembled they are probably not tuned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by circask8r689 View Post
    When I bought my 1st kit I made that same assumption. It's not really true. Some music stores do know how to tune a kit, and some really don't. For some, they just "take the wrinkles out of the heads." That leaves the heads really loose, and as others have said, other factors could also cause a dent. If you have not tuned the kit yourself, I would suggest reading through the tuning advice on this link:

http://drumbum.com/lessons/drum-less.../view/148/168/

BTW, you can access a lot of cool tips by clicking on "DRUM LINKS" on the bar at the top of this page.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Also the heads that came with the kit are usally single ply heads and are not really high quality at that, and they will not take much abuse before they dent..
    My first thoughts when I heard it was a new kit. You may want to look at changing the heads for more durability and better sound too
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I agree limewire. I would bet 99.9% thats the problem too
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

alright thanks

i got some evans skins

how are evans any better?

User Info Menu

Don't know which Evans heads you got, but I know they'll be better that the stick heads on the kit!

User Info Menu

2 ply rock pack

User Info Menu

They should be more resistant to denting than the stock heads. Mainly because they are two ply.

User Info Menu

i dont know much about evans but i bet they will do you. I got some coated embassadors by remo. There not too flash bt they do the job And way better than any stock heads.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I have the remo pinstripes and they have lasted forever...I want to try the ambassadors one day. Do you know what the difference in sound is Stevo?

User Info Menu

ambassadors are kinda made to make a thunk and not resonate much. Good for short sharp sounds. Pinstripes are more ringy. Depending on how many plys there are.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

HMMM ok very interesting. I will keep that in mind. I have the ambassador black dot on snare but will try them on toms next time round.

User Info Menu

What style you play? I havent tried before. But if i remember right thats what i have learnt.... Maybe try the evans coated heads and see how it works? Kev will tell you evans are the bee's knees and i believe while remo are great. There are different and better brands out there. Check with your local drum stores and research what are there.... Figure out what kinda sound you want with the style you play and talk to them... or us. about it.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Sweet mate thanks, its more what I want my drums to sound like rather than what style I play which is really anything I can put together, I want a nice deep sound with not too much ring. Check out my vid on "post your vids thread" and you can hear the sound of what I got at the moment.

User Info Menu

hm coated heads are an uneaven *they feel bumpy so i assume so* coating ontop of the head. And it just displaces the sound more so you get more thump for your ring :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leeman_36 View Post
    if it is new drums were they preassembled are did you have to assemble them if they were preassembled they are probably not tuned
    yah i can guarantee that they arent tuned
    check out the threads on tuning that we have
    and try and play your drums as flat as possible without you hitting the rims
    its a good rule of thumb

User Info Menu

I use Remo powerstroke 3 heads great durability and great sound and you don't have to worry about dampening rings