Thread: Gretsch Renown Maple

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Renown Maple

I just played one of these kits at a local guitar center and really enjoyed the sound of the toms. Beautiful resonance and tone all around. I think the kit was priced around $1300 new which really isn't bad. I'd still rather have a used Pearl MMX for the same price but I really was impressed by the Gretsch.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

I played one as well at the local GC this past weekend, nice kit. I also played my dream kit, a Tama Starclassic performer, i see why alot of top rock drummer use them, those things sound amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    I just played one of these kits at a local guitar center and really enjoyed the sound of the toms. Beautiful resonance and tone all around. I think the kit was priced around $1300 new which really isn't bad. I'd still rather have a used Pearl MMX for the same price but I really was impressed by the Gretsch.
    Koopa, I have the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I don't know if the 30 degree bearing edges make the ultimate difference, or not, but I really like the sound of Gretsch drums!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Gretsch makes beautiful drums as well as all of the companies in those price ranges. I have yet to find an inferior product from any of the top companies in the range that you are referring to. The competition for market share is insane from the drum companies. They all make a great product so it is hard to distinguish which is better when the differences are so subtle anymore.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-08-2008 at 05:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Gretsch makes beautiful drums as well as all of the companies in those price ranges. I have yet to find a inferior product from any of top companies yet in the range that you are reffering to. The competition for market share is insane from the drum companies. They all make a great product so it is hard to distinguish which is better when the differences are so suttle anymore.

What he said !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

/\Ditto. I have never played a gretsch. But i know for a fact they make the best quality kits for their money and they all sound awesome! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I think I'm sticking with my birch set since it'll probably make big money down the road when all the 7 pieces are discontinued. Maybe down the line I'll save up for a maple or rosewood though.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

While I'm a Pearl guy all the way, Getsch make some of the best stuff I've ever played and I do mean ever. They make quality gear because they can.

That said I'd go for the Pearl :P.
    Last edited by Roger; 01-09-2008 at 12:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Koopa, I have the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit, and I don't know if the 30 degree bearing edges make the ultimate difference, or not, but I really like the sound of Gretsch drums!

Right on Bob! I liked the sound of your toms in your video but I have a feeling that they sound even better in person. My video camera has similar sound quality as yours and I know my drums sound much better in person than on film. My video camera especially can't handle cymbals Fortunately my microphone collection has been growing slowly and after I'm done recording with my band, all I'll need is a mixer and a recording program for my pc to get a direct recording!

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Gretsch makes beautiful drums as well as all of the companies in those price ranges. I have yet to find an inferior product from any of the top companies in the range that you are referring to. The competition for market share is insane from the drum companies. They all make a great product so it is hard to distinguish which is better when the differences are so subtle anymore.
    Great point.....and furthermore, most of those subtle differences are things you barely notice in the music store. you have to own the kit for a while and do some experimenting / get some substantial use out of it before you find out. so since most people don't have the luxury of owning more than 1 of these kits, if any at all, some of these subtle differences never really matter to most!

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

very true. with that said, renowns indeed sound great.

User Info Menu

The only knock I have on Gretsch is that until you get to their USA Customs, the finish choices are fairly limited compared to other manufacturers
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

yeah but, renown finishes are very well done even if limited. the renown series is comparable to the lower line pearl masters kits. they are made with the same specs and quallity as the higher end custom order kits, but in a limited option, mass produced kit. the renown used to compete with the pearl session series in the price range, but the renown was a superior product. the discontinuation of the session and the arrival of the masters mcx is a direct result of pearl getting killed by gretsch and mapex in that market.

User Info Menu

Your knowledge of drum gear astounds me Funky!! I learn so much from you! When I see that you've posted on a thread, I can't wait to see what you've posted! It seems like half of the knowledge that I pass along has come from you dude!

User Info Menu

i should practice as much as i read about new drum gear.

User Info Menu

LOL!! Shouldn't we all!!!

User Info Menu

How do you know all this funk?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i spend alot of time on other forums. the top guys at pearl are on the pearl forum all the time. they have been very honest about why they were restructuring thier lines last year. i thought it was kinda cool to admit they were getting behind in the intermediate market. the mapex pro-m and gretsch catalina were to blame. they were simply better sounding kits than the ol' poplar wood exports. pearl had to catch up (wich i think they have done).

User Info Menu

Hey PB! 30 degrees? My Catalina Birch is 45 degrees...Hmmm interesting.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i spend alot of time on other forums. the top guys at pearl are on the pearl forum all the time. they have been very honest about why they were restructuring thier lines last year. i thought it was kinda cool to admit they were getting behind in the intermediate market. the mapex pro-m and gretsch catalina were to blame. they were simply better sounding kits than the ol' poplar wood exports. pearl had to catch up (wich i think they have done).

My final choice was between the Pearl poplar ELX and the Gretsch Birch....I actually cant believe that I was even considering the poplar back then. Not only was the sound so much better with the Catalina but I got seven pieces and it was cheaper lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    Hey PB! 30 degrees? My Catalina Birch is 45 degrees...Hmmm interesting.
    LW, it must be that the maple is a mellower, well rounded sound, so the 30 degree bearing edges accentuate that sound. Since the birch gives a shaper, higher tone I guess the 45 degree is specific to accentuate it's range.

User Info Menu

LW, it must be that the maple is a mellower, well rounded sound, so the 30 degree bearing edges accentuate that sound. Since the birch gives a shaper, higher tone I guess the 45 degree is specific to accentuate it's range.
    Ahh ok, thats something I have just learnt. Thanks PB

User Info Menu

Ooooooo technical!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I really respect a company the changes the degree of the bearing edges to suit the tone of the shell wood. So many manufacturers have different shell woods, and only 1 bearing edge angle for all their drums.