Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mic'ing Drums

User Info Menu

Question Mic'ing Drums

Guys, I really want to improve the quality of the sound of my drums when I video. I've got CAD Pro drum mics, a small mixer, and Audacity recording software on my laptop.

My question is, how do I adjust my sound by myself? I don't have anyone to tweak the mixer while I play. If you have conquered this problem, please help me. I hate just running back and forth!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well PB, I can only offer one solution:

move the stuff closer!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I have thought about that, but still, without three hands, I would not be getting all the sound I need to adjust the mixer for great sound. Maybe it's just the best that can be done, but that's why I was asking.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

If you are adjusting the sound on your own you may have to play and adjust and play and adjust until you get your desired sound. I really dont know PB any other possible way but then again I am no expert with this. Or how about you record the whole track and then go in and adjust the levels maybe, possibly??
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Yeah LW, that's what I've done now. I was just wondering if I was missing something here. I just feels stupid to play, get up, tweak...play, get, and tweak...etc! If there was another way to do it, I would put an end to that nonsense!!

User Info Menu

There is not a lot you can do about trying to mix and play at the same time. The only thing I could suggest is, as you hear your drum sound in your headphones and there is a problem, stop and address it at that time. Then just retake the track. I would move the mixer within reach of your kit so that small adjustments can be made as you go. Can you set your system up so that you can play your kit without recording. That way you can hear what everything sounds like in your headphones before you hit the record button. It is easier to fix EQ issues then, than to record and hear what you don't like and try to fix it without hearing what the adjustment does until you retake the track again. If that makes any sense!
    Last edited by backtodrum; 01-09-2008 at 02:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, BTD, and thank you for adding to what has already been said. I can see that I am not completely wrong in what I am having to do, but you guys are giving ways to fine tune the process to make it work out better. I appreciate it!

User Info Menu

can you get someone else to play it, it doesnt matter if its a beat just hitting them will let you know what they sound like and you can tweak them while they play

User Info Menu

what mixer and interface are you using. are you getting seperate tracks to your p.c.? if so, i would use the level meter on you mixer to make sure they are all getting the same amount of input level, record as dry (no EQ) as possible, then mix with the software.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    can you get someone else to play it, it doesnt matter if its a beat just hitting them will let you know what they sound like and you can tweak them while they play
    i find this difficult, people hit drums differently. ive ran sound for many multi act shows, and usually have to tweak for every drummer. even when big acts have a tech do thier soundcheck, i usally wind up having to adjust for the drummer.

User Info Menu

You know funky, I think you have hit the nail on the head on how to solve the problem!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    what mixer and interface are you using. are you getting seperate tracks to your p.c.? if so, i would use the level meter on you mixer to make sure they are all getting the same amount of input level, record as dry (no EQ) as possible, then mix with the software.
    Funky, I'm using a Behringer UB1202 mixer. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...xer?sku=631236 That's the one that PDPlayer used and I liked the sound he got + the price was right!

Unfortunately, I have to connect it to the laptop through an 1/8" line in connection, so basically everything would have to be mono sound. I do have to say though that I am learning how to use the mixer. The owner's manual that comes with it really doesn't help much. I have tried reading articles online, but they all seem to be using big, fancy mixers, and I just don't know enough yet to translate it to my mixer. I guess I'll figure it out, but it's a little frustrating right now, because I know I could create a nice sound, but I am struggling to do it.

User Info Menu

since you can only send one input into your computer, it may be easier at this time for you to use less mics. you can get a great recording with just a kick mic and a well placed room mic (condensor). again make sure the input levels are equal on your mixer. you will still have to eq your kick to you liking, good isolation headphones will help. the room mic is usually good with little eq, take out some of the highs, add a little lows, and your good to go. the key to the room mic is placement. if you have 2 condensors (one front and one behind the kit) the better. the one in front should be at least 6 ft. from the kit about eye level. its kinda caveman, but i have had some success with this setup.

User Info Menu

Cool! Thanks for the advice Funky! I did use a three mic set up (one kick, and 2 condensers), but I had the condensers set up at the sides of the kit, about 6 1/2 ft. high, pointed inward at about a 45 degree angle. I will give your set up a try. Thanks again! Oh, and since I'm still so new to everything, I'm probably all about "caveman." LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Cool! Thanks for the advice Funky! I did use a three mic set up (one kick, and 2 condensers), but I had the condensers set up at the sides of the kit, about 6 1/2 ft. high, pointed inward at about a 45 degree angle. I will give your set up a try. Thanks again! Oh, and since I'm still so new to everything, I'm probably all about "caveman." LOL
    thats perfect for a live setup, but does not work well for recording. it usually turns out ALL cymbals.

remember that most of your recording will come from your room mics, the kick mic is just there to add a little beef.

User Info Menu

actually your best bet for thsi setup live and recording is at about 10 and 2 o'clock with them about 2-3 feet above your cymbals tilted at a 45
    it then grabs the overall sound of the kit
    i would suggest two overheads
    kick mic
    snare mic
    mic for the hats
    and then one on each tom
    thats a great live setup

User Info Menu

PB you come to the right place. First of all if your not loud enough turn your gain up not just your levels. keep your levels at unicen... Then set a strong gain. Then turn down if its too loud.

As your input. You should be able to get a cable thats 8th inch input stereo out into a 1/2 inch mono *two of*

that prolly doesnt make much sence but you can make it work
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Thanks Stevo, I knew I could get some help from you! You guys are awesome!!

User Info Menu

Ok, I'm really frustrated. I was getting good sound on the kit except for one detail. The toms are way to loud in the mix. I'm just using two condenser mics - one in front of the kit, and one behind the kit, and a kick mic. Everything is really good, except the toms are too loud.

OK, so much for the rant. Can anyone suggest a good basic book for helping me understand this problem. The manual that came with my mixer is next to useless, so I need a better resource. Thanks.

User Info Menu

A simple solution for inside recording is to use 1 bass mike and two regular mikes. One on each side of the kit. One pointing at a location between the small tom and hi-hat. On the other side of the kit place the mike pointing between the larger tom and floor toms. Hold these mikes about 3 off the kit with a little angle upward. A little experimenting to find the sweet spot but with the bass mike you should be in business.

One other thing if your mixer has an input gain control don’t over use this as someone suggested. It will cause distortion if you run this gain too hot. Use the level (volume) control to adjust your mix.

I use an even simpler solution when I play outside. I use the bass mike and one overhead unidirectional mike. The overhead gets the snare and toms quite well and being unidirectional the cymbals are not screaming at you in the mix. Just a nice blend. My group doesn’t play extremely loud and the mikes are to enhance the drums and give them direction through the PA with the PA vocals & amps.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Hey pb i found this guide I hope it helps
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Guys, I really want to improve the quality of the sound of my drums when I video. I've got CAD Pro drum mics, a small mixer, and Audacity recording software on my laptop.

My question is, how do I adjust my sound by myself? I don't have anyone to tweak the mixer while I play. If you have conquered this problem, please help me. I hate just running back and forth!
    Hey Pastor B......how do you like that Audacity software ? What are your likes / dislikes with it ?

User Info Menu

Yeah - don't over use the gain - people don't always understand what this does - gain is the sensitivity of each mic and how much of it is being filtered, it's not ust a volume control. If the gain is way up, then less is being filtered out and you'll get one of two problems a) things will distort and/or b) you'll pikc up too much "other" sounds. So for example, the toms and snare will be comming through your kick mic, and they'll add this kind of hollowness to it as well, becuase they are an "ambient" sound for that mic. Gain is good, and you need to use it, but generally, you shouldn't go above halfway with it. Drums are loud anyway, no need to really make them that much louder, especially for recording purposes.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Hey Pastor B......how do you like that Audacity software ? What are your likes / dislikes with it ?
    GF, I like Audacity OK. It's fairly simple to use, and for my purposes that's good. I do know that it gives the ability to multi-track, and overlay sounds, so that might be nice for later. Right now, though, I'm still getting used to it, so I'm sure I can give a bit more information later.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Hey pb i found this guide I hope it helps
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
    Thanks Andreeew, I'm checking this out as I type this!! I appreciate it!!