Thread: Gimmie all your Lovin (take 2)

User Info Menu

Default Gimmie all your Lovin (take 2)

About a year ago I did my first video drum cover, of Gimmie all your Lovin by ZZ Top. At the time I'd been playing about 6 months and it was the first song I learnt.

One year on I have a better kit (cymbals and snare), much better recording equipment (I just got a mixer and decent microphone) and hopefully I'm a little bit better myself. I've definitely managed to learn a few bit I couldn't do back then. So here is a second attempt, hopefully sounding somewhat better than the original (which is posted beneath if you want to compare!)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcehY6nNlY"]ZZ Top - Gimme all your lovin -Drum Cover #2 - YouTube[/ame]

and the original!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0-QLnJwXF4"]ZZ Top - Gimmie all your Lovin - Drum Cover - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by TPO; 11-27-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gimmie all your Lovin (take 2)

Can someone confirm for me whether they can see the first of my videos above? The one labelled #2. It tripped the Youtube content ID scanner when I uploaded it, and as it's WMG they blocked it. But I've put in a fair use dispute and I believe the content has been restored, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

I can see it.. great job sounded great except for the cymbals.. then again I am not a big 2002 fan.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrumkelly View Post
    I can see it.. great job sounded great except for the cymbals.. then again I am not a big 2002 fan.
    Thanks and thanks!

I love my 2002 sound, but they are quite high in the mix on this and a bit overbearing. I'm just starting out with drum miking and need to play about some to get the sound balanced right.

User Info Menu

Yep, definitely an improvement there, keep practicing.

I see you changed your foot technique too, from heel up to heel down. Any particular reason for that?

Larrysperf Guest

Yep way better Thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    Yep, definitely an improvement there, keep practicing.

I see you changed your foot technique too, from heel up to heel down. Any particular reason for that?
    Good spot, yes I did! Two reasons, firstly I was struggling with the speed and aggility needed for more complex patterns than four on the floor. I just couldn't get the speed when I was doing the whole leg. Secondly, I tried playing some quieter songs, e.g. 'I need you tonight' from the same ZZ Top album, and it's pretty much impossible to use dynamics and feel when going 'STOMP STOMP STOMP' on the pedal! Melancholic blues looses something when it has a thumping disco beat over it! What's worse is that my kick was so loud that I ended up in an arms race playing the rest of the kit louder to compete, so the whole thing ended up ludicrous.

Since switching over to heel down I can play faster and also moderate the sound more to suit the song. It was tough to make the switch, stomping comes more easily and the 'internal trigger point' for catching the beat is different. In fact I still find it harder to lock onto the groove than I used to. Much more musical though so well worth it.

My tutor tells me that an even better technique would be heel up, but pivoting at the ankle (as opposed to the whole leg stomp I used to do), but I can't make that work at the moment. It's too hard to keep my balance and I get leg fatigue really fast. I'm keeping it in mind though. Next year I hope to get a much more solid throne (my current one is bust and wobbles like a weeble), plus I'm planning an exercise regime to build up my core strength and endurance as well (for martial arts). When I have both of those in place I'll see if I can make the next switch.

User Info Menu

Good job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    Good spot, yes I did! Two reasons, firstly I was struggling with the speed and aggility needed for more complex patterns than four on the floor. I just couldn't get the speed when I was doing the whole leg. Secondly, I tried playing some quieter songs, e.g. 'I need you tonight' from the same ZZ Top album, and it's pretty much impossible to use dynamics and feel when going 'STOMP STOMP STOMP' on the pedal! Melancholic blues looses something when it has a thumping disco beat over it! What's worse is that my kick was so loud that I ended up in an arms race playing the rest of the kit louder to compete, so the whole thing ended up ludicrous.

Since switching over to heel down I can play faster and also moderate the sound more to suit the song. It was tough to make the switch, stomping comes more easily and the 'internal trigger point' for catching the beat is different. In fact I still find it harder to lock onto the groove than I used to. Much more musical though so well worth it.

My tutor tells me that an even better technique would be heel up, but pivoting at the ankle (as opposed to the whole leg stomp I used to do), but I can't make that work at the moment. It's too hard to keep my balance and I get leg fatigue really fast. I'm keeping it in mind though. Next year I hope to get a much more solid throne (my current one is bust and wobbles like a weeble), plus I'm planning an exercise regime to build up my core strength and endurance as well (for martial arts). When I have both of those in place I'll see if I can make the next switch.
    No worries. I did the same thing, started off with the stomp stomp thing, then switched to heel down. 5 years on and I still play heel down and have just about got to grips with 16th notes now.